Donelan Offering

Just got an email from Joe Donelan offering the 2009 Cuvee Keltie Syrah @ $75/bottle and the 2009 Richards Family Vineyard Syrah @ $125/bottle. I’ve had Donelan and Pax wine but these prices seem to be to be getting on the outside edge of what these wines are worth. I know the Richards is outstanding, but last year it went for $90/bottle. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

[swoon.gif]

Wait till the pallets of wine pile up, then buy at huge discounts? (Just like last time.)

Seriously, best of luck to Joe. However, this is an easy pass for me.

Agreed. Im a fan of the wines but the prices fall between sqn and saxum. That’s bordering on delusional. 90 for obsidian? Really?

+1

Wait till the pallets of wine pile up, then buy at huge discounts? (Just like last time.)

Seriously, best of luck to Joe. However, this is an easy pass for me.[/quote]

Couldn’t have said it better. Joe is a great guy but he’s out of touch with the market. Best of luck to him but I’m a pass as well. There’s simply too much good wine out there for a whole lot less $.

Prices on the Walker Vine Hill are actually ten bucks less at $45 than what I paid for the 2006 Pax Walker Vine Hill.

But '06 Pax isn’t exactly a value standard against which you should judge. Those bottles started leaking out to the secondary market at lower prices, which killed motivation to buy from the mailing list, and eventually had to be blown out by the winery at nearly half off. By the time the messy divorce when through, the pricing at Pax was already well into the process of killing off the brand.

Actually, I don’t consider $45 for the SVDs unreasonable, but it’s definitely at the high end of the market. It looks like they’re having no trouble selling out the wines that have gotten recent huge scores (Richards & Obsidian), but the strategy of cashing in on scores will alienate loyal customers. Indeed, I’m feeling alienated by yesterday’s mailer.

these are wines that sound great to me… and if the lower ones stay 45, i’ll give them a chance. But 125 for the top bottling?? And a 35 dollar hike in one year… now. Hmm… i sure do like producers that want there wines to “overpreform”. I find syrah to present very high quality wines in relation to price, and it may be to late for me to jump on this boat.

Deleted

I tasted these recently.
I was particularly impressed with the Walker Vine Hill, Obsidian, and Richards (in ascending order and price). I think they are worth the price.
It seems syrah prices are creeping back up around California, with Saxum now at $85, Alban higher(but can’t recall how much) and SQN holding at $145.
The Walker is a relatively good value I think at $45.

I have had all of these wines, and I can say with absolute certainty that they are some of the best examples of rhone wines made in California. The top wines are obviously pretty pricey, but I think still worth it. They are not really made in the same style as SQN and Saxum, so it is hard to compare these to them. Donelan wines are much more savory, focusing on balance; while I feel Saxum and SQN are more focused on power and extraction. I love all three producers, but for different reasons. Donelan’s lower priced offerings are an absolute steal however, and those are a no-brainer.