TNR: 1811 d'Yquem

A single bottle of 1811 d’Yquem was just bought for nearly 85000 euro by Christian Vanneque. I wonder wat it tastes like.

Paging Francois…

Can’t tell you what it tastes like, but 6-10 years ago I inspected a bottle as part of an inventory for a client that had purchased one at auction. The bottle was handblown and wobbled some when I stood it up. I immediately set it back down!

Sorry, I am still drinking through the 1809 and 1810’s [cheers.gif]

Haven’t had it recently, but on release, it was quite impressive. I had to dig back quite a ways in CellarTracker to find my notes. Turns out it was in the 8-Track version of CT. Here it is:

2001 Château d’Yquem (France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes) 10/9/1818
My first impression was, you know, I think the ’11 Rieussec is going to be the better wine for the first 40 years or so as it offers so much more right now. After that, however, this wine will run away with it for the next 100 years. There’s a lot to this wine that’s hidden. Yes, there’s plenty of upfront pleasure to enjoy now, but you really get the sense that this is a densely packed wine that’s going to need a lot of time to evolve to eventually show all its layers. In the present, there’s wonderful ‘nilla wafer, cream, butterscotch with tropical fruit and orange citrus flavors and aromas with terrific depth and balance, but the wine is so primary. If you’re young and have this wine, be very thankful. If not, your kids will love you for it. Solid A now with A+ potential. This wine is so good, I have to go invent the 100 point scale so that I can rate this . . . 100 points!

Indonesia?

[rofl.gif]

Too soon!!!

While the intellectual exercise of drinking wine from the same year that William Henry Harrison defeated Tecumseh is probably a ton of fun, I’m pretty confident that any 200-year-old perishable product will taste more like ditch water than wine.

Actually, I would expect this bottle, if stored ok over the years, to be very drinkable. The sugar in the wine does amazing things to maintain the quality of the wine. This vintage was legendary, and with it being pre-phylloxera, I think the wine will be very good.

don’t want to open my OWC yet.
alan

It’s really great. Had it twice with no complaints. Get a case.

I wonder if it is as sweet as current versions?

this wine predates the time (1847 or so says r olney) they picked on purpose to obtain maximum rot. he does suggest that later pickings were in evidence around 1810 so maybe it was fully sugared up.

i read there are only 10 bottles are known to exist

Are you calling Alan a liar?

While the intellectual exercise of drinking wine from the same year that William Henry Harrison defeated Tecumseh is probably a ton of fun, I’m pretty confident that any 200-year-old perishable product will taste more like ditch water than wine.

You must not know old Madeira. Recently had the 1795 Barbieto Terrantez. Made when George Washington was still president. Stupendous stuff.

yeah, but Madeira is not a perishable product.

Premier Cru pre-arrival purchase? [wow.gif]

and 2 available at CellarTracker!

What about the ten on eBay? pileon

it’s a 6 bottle case.
alan

I would imagine, and this is based on my experience with late 19th century and early 20th century wines, that you have a much better chance of a memorable experience with Sauternes than you would Claret. While my experience is limited, I have had some very old Bordeaux that, with excellent provenance and appearance, failed to impress. Similary, many older late harvest Sauternes, even with ullage at suspect levels, in allegedly mediocre vintages, have overwhelmed all who tasted.