Forklift Fail at Mollydooker - MERGED

Heard this on the radio on the morning drive:

“Sparky Marquis of Mollydooker Wines lost a third of his Velvet Glove Shiraz production after the accident that destroyed all but one of the 462 cases bound for the United States. Each bottle of the Mollydooker wine sells for $200.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia-pacific/oops-forklift-drops-wine-container-smashing-australian-shiraz-worth-1-million/2011/07/22/gIQA5zSFTI_story.html

See also:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43851841/ns/world_news-asia_pacific/

Should say “is priced at $200” not “sells for”. What would insurance cover?

Does anyone offer this wine on futures? I’d be interested to see what this does to the price?

Tough break for the Marquis’.

Just for clarity, it was the Export company that screwed up, not Mollydooker.

From today’s Aussie Herald Sun:

"It was certainly an expensive drop - more than $1 million worth of shiraz wine has gone down the drain after it was dropped by a malfunctioning forklift.

The 462 cases of 2010 Mollydooker Velvet Glove shiraz - at $185 a bottle - fell more than 6m to the ground as it was being loaded for export from Adelaide to the US.

The drop was so forceful, the bottles punched through the top of the cartons. Winemaker Sparky Marquis said the accident had cost him a third of his annual production.

“We just couldn’t believe it,” Mr Marquis said.

“This wine is our pride and joy, so to see it accidentally destroyed, and not consumed, has left us all a bit numb.”

Mr Marquis now is working with insurance agencies to help recoup the losses."

I wonder if it was done on purpose…who would pay that much for that wine?

somewhere today

a small part of jay miller died

I wonder if any of it will wind up on Winebid? [stirthepothal.gif]

Wow, this could really put a dent in my purchasing of $200 Aussie Shiraz.

I suspect the article is referring to Australian dollars, not US.

Still too costly but …

Must’ve been some forklift, to lift 462 cases of wine.

Apparently, not enough of a forklift [snort.gif]

My wife and I were tastting at Barnard Griffin in WA State one day when there was a tremendous crash, and stuff started falling off the walls of the tasting room.

Turns out a guy on a forklist had made too tight a turn & clipped some stacked pallets of wine. They crashed on the floor, on the bottling line and almost everywhere else. Thankfully nobody was hurt, though a lot of wine and an expensive bottling line was ruined.

Nobody laughed. Nobody made jokes.

Lots of folks don’t like Mollydooker, but it’s not a laughing matter. Thankfully nobody got hit/killed by the falling wine.

Actually there are quite a few buyers** out there that will pay top dollar for Mollydooker and a select few other top-level Aussie brands - depending how it was scored. We have a hard time keeping the stuff in stock.

**notice I used the term “buyers”, rather than “geeks”.

Those two currencies are 1:1 exchange today (roughly).

The container lift dropped a whole container while loading onto a ship. This isn’t a forklift, but a crane fail.

In Bordeaux they would laugh and say “We gots our dollahs!”. [stirthepothal.gif]

I agree with David … this is really too bad. I’m sure Marquis will recover the money via insurance and there will be litigation, etc. I doubt the money is that big a priority right now. Like the wine or not, this is the Marquises marquee wine. They devote their livelihood to this wine. They seem like devoted wine people who are most disappointed that they will not get to share their pride and joy with the wine drinking public. I feel bad for them.

Well, they just need to buy a few thousand of these and put them in bottles!!

[stirthepothal.gif]