TN: 2001 Karl Lawrence Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Herb Lamb (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 2001 Karl Lawrence Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Herb Lamb - USA, California, Napa Valley (6/26/2011)
    These are all about the nose. I opened this one outdoors and I tell you, the air immediately around me had the pretty smell of Cabernet perfume. If this had happened indoors, it would be tell-worthy, but outdoors? I let it sit for a few hours. I knew I did not need to sample it just on that.

This is pretty black with red tinged edges. On the nose there is the purest expression of black currant you would ever fins. There was some cola, cardamom, souy, new leather, hints of cocoa, and lead pencil. An amazing mouth-feel with deft balance and structure. Tannins are intricate and in control of all else here, in a good way. I love the purity and the perfume that shoots from the glass as you bring it in. Its long, and flamboyant without being heavy handed or obtrusive. These really are a perennial crowd pleaser. Just a enjoyable and fulfilling drink of wine, perfect for friends. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

[suicide.gif]

Why oh why did I get sick an miss this lineup.

Great notes and great wines. Nicely done Mike and Nano.

Hope you are feeling better.

Nice note, Mike. This wine is drinking incredibly well right now, I feel.

8388A381-96B9-4D13-9AF7-00B9E18F6088.jpeg
Will see how this does tonight

Sweet, let us know. I have a couple Morisoli’s left that I’ve been wondering about.

I have a Magnum left of the 2001. Based on your tasting of the 750, will it need more time? Thanks for the help.

Really enjoying this wine now. Decanted it 90 minutes ago and it is still picky up steam. At first in the decanter it was very subdued with a mild nose. Now the flavors just pouring through with thyme, rosemary, ash, orange twist that has been in a Manhattan, slight balsamic sweetness on the nose. Paired this with a pan seared 12 oz waygu strip steak , which was very good, but kept thinking I should have made the lamb instead, maybe for the next bottle.

This only downside was the crazy thick wax capsule.

This is in a very good spot, can go for some time. Definite need for a 2 hour decant.

Opened a 2007 Gary Morisoli due to the revival of this thread.

The nose at 60 min is beautiful with rich cassis and dense blackberry.

Will try to update as we pair with a late dinner.

Thanks for the terrific notes! I went pretty heavy on KL starting in 2001, still have a bunch cellared away, looking forward to digging them out!

Moring after review of the '07 Morisoli. Like others, I was an enormous fan of Karl Lawrence and have more than a few cellared away so I come into these with high expectations.

Fragrant nose of dense dark fruits. Plush, rounded mouth feel with resolved tannins the wine reveals layers of dense blackberry that glide into a smooth and sleek long finish – this was a very fine wine. Mostly a steak and baked potato wine, the Morisoli’s tend to be more savory than their Karl Lawrence reserve counterparts, in my experience, and this one was no different. Neither blown away nor disappointed, this wine delivered an excellent big Napa Cab experience you would expect from an '07 of some regard. Wine was decanted 60 minutes but probably should have been given more time. The wine is in a fine place right now and showing no age. It probably has plenty more to show of its wares given proper treatment and food pairing.