TN: 1992 Faiveley Charmes-Chambertin

Starts off with a whiff of truffle and some pleasant meaty notes somewhat akin to when you loosen the caramelised meat bits and pan juices from a roasting dish with a little wine. There are some sweet red fruit smells as well as a little moss. In the mouth it’s plump and quite dense for its year. It really breathes up and the heart of liqueur cherry fruit gains intensity. There are all sorts of fungi, pine needle sap and earthy savoury nuance and it is still very fresh with plenty of the maker’s trademark structure. I suspect that this is one 92 that hasn’t quite reached its peak yet but its very, very good right now.
Cheers
Jeremy

Wish I had some Faiveley’s of this age, sounds great. BTW had the 09 Clos des Cortons Fiaveley last night, not bad. Have the 09’s arrived in Aussie?

This vintage is a marvellous success at Faiveley. I do wonder if those who are so harsh on their wines of this period are people who tend to buy only ‘top’ vintages, not always a rewarding approach to Burgundy. Those are made for the very long haul but here one can see just what a pure and transparent style is achieved.

Mike,
Not here yet.

Tom,
I agree wholeheartedly.

Best Regards
Jeremy

Hi Mike - yep, just got some Faiveley delivered to my unit from Caros last week. Also got the GC Cazetiers and the Beaune Baby Jesus. You did not leave in the cellar very long…

Brodie

Brodie, yes from Caro, another shipment to come wit a few others, opened the Corton the day it arrived, Friday. Had the 09 Clos Vougeot last night, not a patch on the Clos des Cortons Faiveley though. Have the 1ers and the GC CDB as well. Baby Jesus? have the Bouchard’s arrived?

Hi Mike - nope just getting myself confused! Bouchards not arrived. I also got the CV, disappointed to hear it is not in the same league as Close des Cortons as I got both…

Brodie

Yet another good note on a '92…

Who would have thought??

What were they like young?

No Idea personally, but always a vintage that seems to be disregarded by critics…

Burghound only has one wine at 92pts, although many are not reviewed compared to other years. I remember well the superb Leroy Latricieres we had last year, very good.

I’m sure some here will know though, although from what I have now had, the good ones generally seem to be wines from the top of the tree.

We had a really excellent '92 Meo Richebourg a few months ago, and no one got the year option, even after I kept narrowing it down, a very surprising wine.

We drunk a glorious 90 Clos De La Marechale yesterday, young and grippy but approachable and with a perfume from heaven.

I have drunk the '92 Clos des Cortons and am lucky to have another in the cellar thanks to a generous friend. It’s a wine of deep harmonious complexity, a real aristocrat. Do not hesitate to buy it if it comes your way.

David Kubiak