TN: 1995 Gloria Ferrer Cuvee Royale

This is a follow up to the other thread I posted about this one. A very nice QPR sparkler for $22 after taxes. The storage couldn’t have been too bad as this was still lively. The bubbles were starting to fade with small beads, but the wine possessed plenty to last a few more years. On the nose, toasty and creamy. The fruit was not too prominent and this was surprisingly elegant for a California sparkler. I really enjoyed the finish here which was longer lasting than one would expect with toffee and butterscotch notes on my end. I can’t say that it was complex, but I really didn’t expect it to be. The acidity was low but not offensive. Overall, I have to say this was very nice. Would I pay more for it? No. But I like sparklers with a little age and my patience is terrible. I’ll buy a few more for the occasional weeknight sparkler craving.

Here was my note on the 93 from this fall:

Fresh as a daisy for being 15 years old. Just starting to turn the corner, this was loaded with graham crackery goodness. Dash of cinnamon, quince as well. Acidic spine should warrant holding this for another 5-7 years.

I’ve read several glowing reviews of Gloria Ferrer bubbles - I need to trust it and pick up some eventually.

Like I said in the other thread, I’ve seen 2 or 3 Costco’s with the 2001 for 18 bucks. That may be a place to pick 'em up.