Cabernet offline in Melbourne

Melb East Offline at Le Petit Bourgeois - June 2011
The food here is consistently good with nice service and ambience.

The theme was cabernet based varieties.
I did not take any notes but my friend (Chris) did which are reproduced below.

Ruinart NV Blanc de Blanc
Youthful pale colour. Some autolysis and quite fruity initially, then the chalky lemony profile came up with time in the glass. Quite rich for a Chardonnay and a reasonably soft finish meant it was excellent drinking now.

Chateau Pichon Baron 2002
Deep blackish ruby. Slightly tight cedar and mocha on the nose - fruit subservient. Cedar dominant on the palate with softly astringent tannins on the finish. Still youthful so may need sometime for the fruit to come out. (17.5+)

Chateau Musar 2001
Medium depth red colour. Very ripe vinous fruit overlaid with some odd hay/grassy characters that are probably Brett derived. Quite a nice drink but the Brett affects the ability of the fruit to show through properly

Chateau Calon Segur 1996
Deep red-black. Lovely blend of cedary mocha oak and cassis-violet fruit. Masculine style. Good length, softly tannic. Lovely.

Chateau D’Issan 1995
Deep ruby-red. Slightly reticent nose that needed breathing up. Then cassis, violets and some stalkiness. Medium bodied, and lovely smooth drinking. Starting to drink really well.

Wynns John Riddoch Cabernet 1994
Blackish-ruby. Intense blackcurrant fruit with oak in the background because of the power of the fruit. Youthful and yet to open up, although not aggressive at all. Just a bit young and undeveloped compared to what is will be.

Vasse Felix Heytsebury 1996
Deep red. Verged on being too ripe at first with tomato leaf to the fore, but the balance seemed to correct itself with air-time. Didn’t give this enough time to develop properly as I think this is a better wine that it was given credit for on the night.

Yarra Yering Dry Red No. 1 1998
Blackish ruby colour. Sweet cassis fruit, quite powerful and as usual, an oddity for the region. Will develop well, a bit young now.

Sanjay - I love the fact that the YY No.1 is still youthful after 11 years. I have it back to 1996 in Melb in offsite storage waiting patiently for my return (one day). Great wine.

Brodie

I had the opportunity to taste the 2008 from YY last year and they are fantastic (and so are the 2008s from Wantirna Estate).