2006 Keever Cab is here--$90--Ouch!

This changes my request from 12 bottles to 4.
Used to be $68.
Otto

ouch is right. i still have an 05.

cooking wine is always in demand in my home. [diablo.gif]

The '04 was terrific, but I was unimpressed with the '05. For $68, I may have bought a few, but at $90, I laughed. I mean, Kosta Browne outraged many customers by raising prices on their appellation pinots by $4 to $52, and this was a winery with a waiting list of over 10,000 people and big WS scores for several years running. While I realize Celia M. makes the Keever cab, it takes some serious chutzpah to raise the price on a wine with a short and unremarkable track record by 32% this year of all years!

Broken record time.

2005 Rockledge ‘The Rocks’
$45 on sale.
$45 is 1/2 $90
$45 and pure friggin joy.

[gen_fro.gif]

Ditto…and I wonder what Corra is coming out for?

Exactly brother!

Sadly, this doesn’t surprise me. I remember the first time I went to Keever to taste, free tasting. The next time I sent some clients up there, $10/per, but I think it was applied to a purchase, if one was made. The last time I sent a client, the tasting fee was $20 or $25/per, not applicable to purchase.

While they are free to run their business however they choose, I am as well - and haven’t sent anyone else there since.

This is definitely disappointing to hear, but at the same time it just means another wine I can cross off of the list and some more $$$ in my pocket.

First use of the word Chutzpah on the board! Well done…my money was on mr. wood!!! but you win

I think this is probably the biggest price increase I’ve seen in one vintage on a wine that is relatively unknown.

I’m pretty stunned by it. You figure if it was $68, then maybe it goes $70-$75, but damn.

Exactly my thoughts. I know have more money to spend (or keep) on whatever else I feel like. They make it a really easy decision.

Celia made the 06 but she stopped making the wine this year.
I bought some on Otto’s advice and have no plans to continue at that price. I also will pass on Corra that I believe is still $125 in 06.

What a tin ear decision…

That’s interesting. We visited Keever (in 2006) just as they were opening the new winery, and they told us that Celia was going
to make her Corra at their facility. Does this mean she’s moving elsewhere?

I heard she left Rocca too. I wonder what she’s up to.

While I agree - completely agree - I also know how expensive it is to make quality hand-crafted wines. I, personally, hate bastardized wines. Know that the wine business (atleast most segments) like the rest of the world, is hurting. I don’t know if Keever offers deep discounts to members, but that is one way to reward loyal fans and have a premium price point at the winery.

I posted on the Mod from Hell site for her. She only wants to be involved with higher end wines.

I can understand that move - but it makes me wonder if someone is forgetting who helped her get where she is today…

Maybe the raise in price will bring Celia back! But they should charge at least $200-$300 to become high end.[dash1.gif]