The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Ken Schramm
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3901 Post by Ken Schramm » October 21st, 2020, 5:06 am

I am curious to know if anybody has received or picked up the late May ~$30 2015 Barolo Mystery Single Crus? They were listed as summer arrivals.

Also, any feedback on the Italian Pastas from the June "Finest Pasta in the World" offer?

Mike Ott
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3902 Post by Mike Ott » October 21st, 2020, 5:25 pm

2018 Fonbadet for $36.70. Considering getting some although with shipping hopeful I can find it cheaper when it arrives in the states at retail.

Michael Atienza

#3903 Post by Michael Atienza » October 23rd, 2020, 2:41 pm

Been a while since I posted anything here :)

I received the following mystery wines in case some are still waiting for them:

Chateauneuf du Pape Mystery(6/5/2020) - 2018 Crous St. Martin CdP
DayLite #1092 – Northern Rhone (4/3/2020) - 2018 Guy Farge St. Joseph "Passion de Terrasse"
Saturday: 2018 Northern Rhone (2/22/2020) - 2018 Guy Farge St. Joseph Terroir de Granit (WTSO had the same wine not too long ago with the same price)
Holiday 2018 Crozes Hermitage - (1/20/2020) - 2018 Vincent Paris Crozes-Hermitage Selection (I guessed this one correctly when I saw the email)
CT User: AMC Eagle

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3904 Post by PeterH » October 23rd, 2020, 5:02 pm

Forumites must be suffering from Mystery fatigue. Not even a mention of the $47 Brunello (down from ~$70, apparently)

That's a little steep for an unknown wine, at a time when most wines are getting discounted from list.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3905 Post by Kris Patten » October 23rd, 2020, 5:34 pm

PeterH wrote:
October 23rd, 2020, 5:02 pm
Forumites must be suffering from Mystery fatigue. Not even a mention of the $47 Brunello (down from ~$70, apparently)

That's a little steep for an unknown wine, at a time when most wines are getting discounted from list.
I don't find Brunello exciting, so the lure of mystery is zero.

Too easy for me to buy Caprili or Canalicchio for less.

Certain wines just don't translate to mystery very well.
ITB

Josh McCarthy
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3906 Post by Josh McCarthy » October 27th, 2020, 3:28 pm

Hi all --

I'm going to have my wines shipped for the first time and reading posts from years' past, I'm curious about the pre-arrival status? I used to only pick up when I lived in WA so I never bothered to pay attention to status. From what I've been reading, is it plausible to assume something which is still in pre-arrival but should be here has been oversold and they'll try to ship me a different vintage? Will they just swap vintages without letting you know on shipments?

I have a boatload of wines to pick up around the state direct from wineries but was hoping to save that for a Spring drive and get these before the holidays.
Winemaker: WA -> MI -> Napa -> Sonoma
Syrah and Pinot make my world go 'round. The funkier, the better - Just like life.

Scott AB
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3907 Post by Scott AB » October 27th, 2020, 3:48 pm

I've had about 200 orders over the last 10 years all shipped to me and in my experience pre-arrival really means pre-arrival, I've never had an issue where they shipped a different vintage or wine. I've heard of occasional issues like that but it doesn't seem to be very common in my experience at least.
Scott Bender

M Mager

#3908 Post by M Mager » October 27th, 2020, 4:01 pm

Scott AB wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 3:48 pm
I've had about 200 orders over the last 10 years all shipped to me and in my experience pre-arrival really means pre-arrival, I've never had an issue where they shipped a different vintage or wine. I've heard of occasional issues like that but it doesn't seem to be very common in my experience at least.
Similar story for me. Over the years, I think there have been 2 or 3 times where they've had a vintage issue. In each of those cases, they contacted me and gave me the option to either take the other vintage or cancel that order. So infrequent for me as to be a non-issue. Also, take J Peterman's projection of arrival availability with a really big grain of salt (boulder-sized). If he gives a more precise date, I always add in at least another 60 days onto my pending delivery date in Cellartracker; for less precise estimates (i.e. - "late winter"), I always add at least 90 days, if not more. Most times, the Arrival beats those more conservative dates, but in a surprising number of cases, it doesn't. I do local pickup, so I just get whatever is in when I feel like picking up.

Michael
Michael

Josh McCarthy
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3909 Post by Josh McCarthy » October 28th, 2020, 7:36 am

M Mager wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 4:01 pm
Scott AB wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 3:48 pm
Similar story for me. Over the years, I think there have been 2 or 3 times where they've had a vintage issue. In each of those cases, they contacted me and gave me the option to either take the other vintage or cancel that order. So infrequent for me as to be a non-issue. Also, take J Peterman's projection of arrival availability with a really big grain of salt (boulder-sized). If he gives a more precise date, I always add in at least another 60 days onto my pending delivery date in Cellartracker; for less precise estimates (i.e. - "late winter"), I always add at least 90 days, if not more. Most times, the Arrival beats those more conservative dates, but in a surprising number of cases, it doesn't. I do local pickup, so I just get whatever is in when I feel like picking up.

Michael
Great, thanks for the feedback! Of course, most of the pre-arrivals are Champagne which I ordered in July and August in hopes of arrival for the holidays! Good thing I have a steady stream of local bubbles to get me through the season. I guess my WA loop next year will encompass a trip down to SoDo.
Syrah and Pinot make my world go 'round. The funkier, the better - Just like life.

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3910 Post by Ron Slye » October 28th, 2020, 8:45 am

Garagiste is no longer in SoDo. They moved a few years ago to Renton. Not too far off of the highway, but not SoDo!

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3911 Post by Rodrigo B » October 29th, 2020, 5:14 pm

Excited for the Otano GR Blanco
B r a g a

Josh McCarthy
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3912 Post by Josh McCarthy » October 30th, 2020, 9:29 am

Ron Slye wrote:
October 28th, 2020, 8:45 am
Garagiste is no longer in SoDo. They moved a few years ago to Renton. Not too far off of the highway, but not SoDo!
Ah, good to know. It shows I've been out of WA for a few years and had people pick up my wines in recent years. Funny they never mentioned the move! I used to go down to my friends at Kerloo and then pop over to Garagiste to pick up my wines. Those were dangerous, dangerous over buying times. I'm somewhat glad they're in Renton. Then I don't have to worry about getting lost at all the tasting rooms which have sprouted up in SoDo the past few years.

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3913 Post by PeterH » October 30th, 2020, 9:48 am

Rodrigo B wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 5:14 pm
I've been getting shut out on most of the interesting wines lately, the wines that make following Garagiste worthwhile. I suppose that, like with de Negoce, people have apps that notify them immediately on their cell phone, but I don't carry one around, and I'm not sitting at my computer much these days.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3914 Post by Rodrigo B » October 30th, 2020, 10:06 am

PeterH wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 9:48 am
Rodrigo B wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 5:14 pm
I've been getting shut out on most of the interesting wines lately, the wines that make following Garagiste worthwhile. I suppose that, like with de Negoce, people have apps that notify them immediately on their cell phone, but I don't carry one around, and I'm not sitting at my computer much these days.
That’s a bummer. Happens to me at times too, not just with Garagiste. I was fortunate this time around that the Garagiste email offer came around 8-9pm time, so timing on that was better for me.

There’s so much wine out there though, especially ones that I haven’t tried, that for the most part I tend not to get upset if I miss out on an offer. Aside from helping lighten the financial load, there’s always going to be a new and exiting wine down the road that I can buy.
B r a g a

J. Morgan

#3915 Post by J. Morgan » October 30th, 2020, 11:33 am

Graham J wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 9:33 am
Peter, thanks for those updates. If anyone knows the following I'd be greatly appreciative!

1 July: 2018 Chianti Mystery
17 July: Barolo Impossible Mystery
24 July: Champagne Mystery
14 August: 2019 Rosé Mystery
25 September: 2019 White Burgundy Mystery
Hello,
New here, and first time order just received from Garagiste. I really love how it works, hope I can trust some of his choices...we will see.
I did pop for a case of that Barolo Impossible Mystery from July, knowing a $13 Barolo won't be an age worthy serious Barolo, but more so a weeknight, good with food Nebbiolo with maybe a little more structure/complexity. I have not had it yet, but will try one out tonight.... Anyways, it is Covalli 2014 Barolo. After searching, the cheapest I can find is $25, with some people selling for $35-$40, so at least the price was right...

Also purchased Single Vineyard Walla Walla Syrah Mystery from September 30th, and that is a 2014 Bergevin Lane 'The Princess' Syrah. Not too promising looking to me, but I am not familiar with this producer.

Any one have any opinions?
Thanks and good to be here.
J o e l M o r g a n

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3916 Post by Kris Patten » October 30th, 2020, 11:59 am

Joel,

We sell Bergevin Lane and if scores matter via a vis quality it's a Wine Advocate 91+, it's from a 4 acre plot of Syrah in Walla Walla and it, like most their wines, are based on balance vs. fruit power. Plus it's normal retail is $40.

I think you'll be surprised.
ITB

J. Morgan

#3917 Post by J. Morgan » October 30th, 2020, 12:25 pm

Kris Patten wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 11:59 am
Joel,

We sell Bergevin Lane and if scores matter via a vis quality it's a Wine Advocate 91+, it's from a 4 acre plot of Syrah in Walla Walla and it, like most their wines, are based on balance vs. fruit power. Plus it's normal retail is $40.

Thanks for the info Kris!
This sounds.... very amateur, but something about the branding threw me off...as well as the roughly 14.5% alcohol.
I am more into the Northern Rhone/cool climate Syrah, with some whole cluster, savory, and mineral driven notes...
However, I just spent time at 2 of my favorite producers there (Reynvaan and Gramercy), so I know it gets warm... but you're right balance is key, so I am very pleased to know that's their style!
Thank you!
J o e l M o r g a n

Mike Rotondo

#3918 Post by Mike Rotondo » October 30th, 2020, 12:47 pm

J. Morgan wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 11:33 am
Graham J wrote:
Peter, thanks for those updates. If anyone knows the following I'd be greatly appreciative!

Hello,
New here, and first time order just received from Garagiste. I really love how it works, hope I can trust some of his choices...we will see.
I did pop for a case of that Barolo Impossible Mystery from July, knowing a $13 Barolo won't be an age worthy serious Barolo, but more so a weeknight, good with food Nebbiolo with maybe a little more structure/complexity. I have not had it yet, but will try one out tonight.... Anyways, it is Covalli 2014 Barolo. After searching, the cheapest I can find is $25, with some people selling for $35-$40, so at least the price was right...

Also purchased Single Vineyard Walla Walla Syrah Mystery from September 30th, and that is a 2014 Bergevin Lane 'The Princess' Syrah. Not too promising looking to me, but I am not familiar with this producer.

Thanks for sharing on the Barolo mystery, as I don't expect my next shipment from them until at least the spring. I've seen that label out in the wild, a little digging says it's made by Paola Sordo who also has a fairly reasonable Barolo offering under that label. Back to the Covalli, it's very much a value label and I've generally seen it for $20-$25 and don't have huge expectations - it's definitely not a label that excites me on the reveal, but should be a good value at this price. Looking forward to hearing your impressions after tasting.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3919 Post by Kris Patten » October 30th, 2020, 5:38 pm

J. Morgan wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 12:25 pm
Kris Patten wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 11:59 am
Joel,

Thanks for the info Kris!
This sounds.... very amateur, but something about the branding threw me off...as well as the roughly 14.5% alcohol.
I am more into the Northern Rhone/cool climate Syrah, with some whole cluster, savory, and mineral driven notes...
However, I just spent time at 2 of my favorite producers there (Reynvaan and Gramercy), so I know it gets warm... but you're right balance is key, so I am very pleased to know that's their style!
Thank you!
It's definitely not Cornas, Crozes, Hermitage, or Cote Rotie, but it's not Alban either. If you like Syrah, Walla Walla and Yakima Valley are pretty safe as they are cooler and can provide some of that olive and pepper....Red Mountain, Wahluke Slope and Horse Heaven Hills are much warmer and would probably stay from a profile you enjoy.
ITB

J. Morgan

#3920 Post by J. Morgan » October 31st, 2020, 10:17 am

Mike Rotondo wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 12:47 pm
J. Morgan wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 11:33 am
Graham J wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for sharing on the Barolo mystery, as I don't expect my next shipment from them until at least the spring. I've seen that label out in the wild, a little digging says it's made by Paola Sordo who also has a fairly reasonable Barolo offering under that label. Back to the Covalli, it's very much a value label and I've generally seen it for $20-$25 and don't have huge expectations - it's definitely not a label that excites me on the reveal, but should be a good value at this price. Looking forward to hearing your impressions after tasting.

That Covalli was decent! It had a nice silky body and mouthfeel...at first it had an overarching perfume, bordering on nail polish, but that calmed down. It ended up having some nice orange rind notes, vermouth, with slight hints of some classic rose petal and fresh cranberry..maybe not the most natural or beautifully delicate characteristics to me, but still nice. Nice structure and well integrated tannin for the price point. Will go good with food, but I actually ended up having it on its own.
I'd say definitely worth the $13.
J o e l M o r g a n

Toby P

#3921 Post by Toby P » October 31st, 2020, 10:47 am

Nice, have a couple of those Barolos coming. FYI Wine Access has the 2015 Covalli Barolo for $25...if you have any coupons or they run another sale can get it lower (plus free ship, and better vintage I guess)
P r a t t

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3922 Post by HoosJustinG » October 31st, 2020, 1:19 pm

When do they decide to ship? I have probably 2 cases worth or so pending shipment. Don’t really care that much but curious how they work. Do I need to contact them?
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3923 Post by MatthewT » October 31st, 2020, 1:44 pm

HoosJustinG wrote:
October 31st, 2020, 1:19 pm
When do they decide to ship? I have probably 2 cases worth or so pending shipment. Don’t really care that much but curious how they work. Do I need to contact them?
No they will email you when it's shipping. If you want them to ship a partial case you need to let them know. Otherwise if <11 bottles are leftover they will hold for next shipment.
I'm a Turk

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3924 Post by mattcitrang » October 31st, 2020, 2:46 pm

HoosJustinG wrote:
October 31st, 2020, 1:19 pm
This should answer most of your questions.
https://garagiste.showit.site/shipping-central

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3925 Post by HoosJustinG » November 4th, 2020, 9:06 am

I told myself I was done with 2016 Napa cab, but I didn't have any Dunn and those wines live forever, so no chance of missing the drinking window by having too much -- especially in a structured vintage -- so in for 3 after debating a case. Turns out all it took was ~10-15 bucks off the W-S low price and I bit.

ChrisL
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3926 Post by ChrisL » November 4th, 2020, 11:20 am

Bit on the ‘16 Dunn as well. Got a couple and just plan on forgetting about them.

Mystery Chianti last night, Felsina?? Seems like they always fill in for a Tuscan mystery
Ludg@te

ChrisW

#3927 Post by ChrisW » November 8th, 2020, 4:20 am

Felsina is their go-to. Castello di Gabbiano has shown up from time to time and hits that price point as well.
<@ru@n@

P. Dias
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3928 Post by P. Dias » November 8th, 2020, 12:04 pm

Has anyone had anything other than wine shipped by Garagiste? They just shipped 4 stems and a decanter to NYC and charged me $42.01

Am I crazy or is this an insane amount? I should’ve just bought at retail.
P e d r o

Tom W

#3929 Post by Tom W » November 8th, 2020, 12:32 pm

P. Dias wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 12:04 pm
Has anyone had anything other than wine shipped by Garagiste? They just shipped 4 stems and a decanter to NYC and charged me $42.01

Am I crazy or is this an insane amount? I should’ve just bought at retail.
I also bought a single magnum once and it shipped separately for like $18. So I stick to 750mls and don't do the non-wine items.
W a r d

Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3930 Post by Mark Morrissette » November 8th, 2020, 12:35 pm

I learned that lesson too. 750ml wine only.
I did break the rule to buy some 750ml olive oil, but only because I knew it could ship with wine.

Shipping is a back breaker on anything else.

Alan Chung

#3931 Post by Alan Chung » November 8th, 2020, 1:02 pm

Also had similar experience last year. Bought a bunch of stems and shipping was something insane. I try now to only buy wine or occasionally olive oils from Garagiste because those ship with wine and rate is reasonable if that's the case. Food items (if shipped separately by itself) are also ridiculous shipping.
gnuhc n@|@

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3932 Post by Kris Patten » November 8th, 2020, 2:03 pm

Cool offer with older La Louviere Blanc today, all under $30.

*I do not represent this producer.
ITB

ChrisW

#3933 Post by ChrisW » November 8th, 2020, 3:19 pm

Alan Chung wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 1:02 pm
Also had similar experience last year. Bought a bunch of stems and shipping was something insane. I try now to only buy wine or occasionally olive oils from Garagiste because those ship with wine and rate is reasonable if that's the case. Food items (if shipped separately by itself) are also ridiculous shipping.
Ask them to tuck food items in with a case shipment. I've done this with some hazelnut spreads. Had the same issues with mags as well - don't be them anymore.
<@ru@n@

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3934 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » November 10th, 2020, 7:25 pm

I have given up on mags from them for the same reason, and on all food items except the truffle mustard I can't live without. I figured I'll just deal with the extra shipping cost. Well imagine my surprise when I received my Fall wine shipment and they had tucked my mustard in with one of the cases, without my having asked - so that was nice!

Sean McK

#3935 Post by Sean McK » November 10th, 2020, 8:11 pm

Anybody have a guess as to the producer behind today's Ca'Rozzeria offering? A Campania winery that Garagiste has often featured in the past? I'm not recalling any that could be...
K e e

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3936 Post by PeterH » November 10th, 2020, 9:14 pm

Recently he offered a number of Cantina del Taburno. Earlier this year there were a few Feudi di San Gregorio.
There are others that are unlikely in this case, Galardi, I Pentri. A rose is needed in the mix.
Last edited by PeterH on November 10th, 2020, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Sean McK

#3937 Post by Sean McK » November 10th, 2020, 9:19 pm

Ah, yes, good thoughts, thank you! ...and of course, we must be skeptical about the exact wording in the offer... no guarantee these bottles are from the "one winery in particular"...
K e e

J. Schenck

#3938 Post by J. Schenck » November 11th, 2020, 10:02 am

hmmmm mystery cheap Sancerre... is it worth paying shipping costs.
Justin S.

Tom W

#3939 Post by Tom W » November 11th, 2020, 10:20 am

J. Schenck wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 10:02 am
hmmmm mystery cheap Sancerre... is it worth paying shipping costs.
I'd read "lowest $ I can find anywhere in the world is in the $20’s, even in Europe" as "there are others in the U.S. selling this at $20.99 and you're likely to find it discounted here and there". So figure you could buy it between $18 - $23, depending on where you live (if it's available).
W a r d

Tom W

#3940 Post by Tom W » November 12th, 2020, 10:32 am

Re: Barbera d’Alba Mystery 750ml (Piedmont) - $9.91
My translation of "this is the lowest $ I can find anywhere in the world by a generous percentage!":
I think 20-30% is reasonably a "generous percentage", so that would put the low-end pricing around $12+ - $14. I also include the U.S. "in the world". My guess is if it's available in your local market, it sells for $13-$16 and that some retailers will put on sale down to $11-ish.
W a r d

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3941 Post by Dave H. » November 12th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Tom W wrote:
November 12th, 2020, 10:32 am
Re: Barbera d’Alba Mystery 750ml (Piedmont) - $9.91
My translation of "this is the lowest $ I can find anywhere in the world by a generous percentage!":
I think 20-30% is reasonably a "generous percentage", so that would put the low-end pricing around $12+ - $14. I also include the U.S. "in the world". My guess is if it's available in your local market, it sells for $13-$16 and that some retailers will put on sale down to $11-ish.
Yea, always hard to read the tea leaves, but neither the Barbera or Sancerre moved me off the sidelines--and I'm a certified sucker for a mystery wine.
Hendrik

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3942 Post by Max S. » November 13th, 2020, 12:33 pm

Is Garagiste trying to give de Negoce a run for its money now?
5 w 0 m l 3 y

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3943 Post by mattcitrang » November 13th, 2020, 12:38 pm

His current offer is definitely more interesting than anything DeNegoce put up.

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3944 Post by HoosJustinG » November 13th, 2020, 12:42 pm

In for 6 ... either it'll be interesting or I have a few holiday gifts...

Toby P

#3945 Post by Toby P » November 13th, 2020, 12:42 pm

Received a big shipment recently with all my Garagiste orders from the last ~2 yrs (since I started buying, so my first ever shipment). I'd say my feeling on the mysteries overall - just based on the reveal and comparable pricing etc, not tasting - was decent but not blown away. Some seemed like genuinely below lowest market, others more like in line with a WTSO - which is still solid, but if you're flying blind should expect better I think.

All that said, couldn't resist this one so went in for 6. Does seem similar to last year's "Mystery of Mysteries" which turned out to be Den Hoed. Haven't tried that one yet but on the surface looks like it was a very solid deal unless you're not into that taste profile.
P r a t t

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3946 Post by Rodrigo B » November 13th, 2020, 12:48 pm

Just like with de Negoce, I'm in for a case champagne.gif
B r a g a

Tom W

#3947 Post by Tom W » November 13th, 2020, 1:09 pm

Rodrigo B wrote:
November 13th, 2020, 12:48 pm
Just like with de Negoce, I'm in for a case champagne.gif
I'm in for six. If I get burned on this, I'm out for good. I swear. This time I really mean it. For sure. [headbang.gif]
W a r d

Hoang Pham

#3948 Post by Hoang Pham » November 13th, 2020, 1:36 pm

Oh what the heck. In for 6. Bound to have someone I know enjoy it.

Cgomezmoreno

#3949 Post by Cgomezmoreno » November 13th, 2020, 1:53 pm

Max S. wrote:
November 13th, 2020, 12:33 pm
Is Garagiste trying to give de Negoce a run for its money now?
I wasn’t familiar with deNegoce. Are the wines any good? The Pinots and Chards at $10-12/BTC sound too good to be true. Are shipping costs reasonable? I’m normally an old world drinker, but at those prices I could be convinced for every day drinking.
Carlos

Rohit B

#3950 Post by Rohit B » November 13th, 2020, 1:53 pm

Sold out. Missed this.
13 h @ n

Return to “Wine Talk”