The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1647
Joined: May 14th, 2016, 9:22 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3801 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » August 2nd, 2020, 9:47 am

I have reported corked bottles to them from time to time, and they’ve generally issued me an account credit for the price of the bottle.

User avatar
A G Aguirre
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 120
Joined: December 18th, 2019, 7:15 pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3802 Post by A G Aguirre » August 2nd, 2020, 12:31 pm

Yep, totally understanding of cork issues in my experience.
@rturo

Cgomezmoreno
Posts: 6
Joined: August 5th, 2020, 3:10 pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3803 Post by Cgomezmoreno » August 5th, 2020, 3:20 pm

Any thoughts on today’s sparkling mystery? Franciacorta?
Carlos

User avatar
PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4151
Joined: May 14th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3804 Post by PeterH » August 5th, 2020, 5:37 pm

I was thinking more of Cremant de Bourgogne.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Cgomezmoreno
Posts: 6
Joined: August 5th, 2020, 3:10 pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3805 Post by Cgomezmoreno » August 5th, 2020, 6:08 pm

Yeah, I guess I ruled out all Cremants based on the 4-5y en tirage and frankly the 93 points. That’s why I thought Franciacorta or even Trento?
But I didn’t notice that it could even be Champagne. Leftovers from the Champagne Mistery the other week?
Carlos

P. Dias
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 35
Joined: May 6th, 2020, 1:11 pm
Location: New York City

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3806 Post by P. Dias » August 15th, 2020, 11:23 am

Does anyone have any idea of what the Tuscany Trio consist of? According to the email he's done this for a few years. I wonder if it's worth it.
P e d r o

KevinK
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 32
Joined: July 27th, 2019, 12:23 am

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3807 Post by KevinK » August 15th, 2020, 11:37 am

P. Dias wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 11:23 am
Does anyone have any idea of what the Tuscany Trio consist of? According to the email he's done this for a few years. I wonder if it's worth it.
It's been a while but I think this is something like Felsina Fontalloro + Maestro Raro + CC(R?)
K u o

Tom W
Posts: 92
Joined: December 8th, 2016, 4:45 pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3808 Post by Tom W » August 15th, 2020, 12:17 pm

KevinK wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 11:37 am
P. Dias wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 11:23 am
Does anyone have any idea of what the Tuscany Trio consist of? According to the email he's done this for a few years. I wonder if it's worth it.
It's been a while but I think this is something like Felsina Fontalloro + Maestro Raro + CC(R?)
Does anyone know what the new vintage is that's being offered?
W a r d

User avatar
PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4151
Joined: May 14th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3809 Post by PeterH » August 15th, 2020, 12:59 pm

I've been buying from Garagiste for years, but I don't remember a Trio offer. Felsina certainly makes sense. Jon often offers their wine, and uses it for Mystery selections.
The description says "latest release", probably not the same for all the wines. 2018 if the straight CC. I don't know the release schedule of the other wines.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1647
Joined: May 14th, 2016, 9:22 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3810 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » August 15th, 2020, 1:02 pm

'17 Rancia has just been released, if that's one of them. Like Peter, I have no memory of this being an "annual" offer, at least in this format. He certainly offers Felsina wines quite frequently, and often as mysteries. I'm going to resist on this offer, though. I'll be curious to see what it was.

KevinK
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 32
Joined: July 27th, 2019, 12:23 am

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3811 Post by KevinK » August 15th, 2020, 1:12 pm

I remember the Trio offer from last year because it was my first or second order from Garagiste and I bit on a case. Dug up the offer from 6 Jul 2019
Saturday: Tuscan Triple

Dear Friends,

It’s a holiday weekend so why not dig into our stash of new arrivals with a deal worthy of an extra fireworks display :)

This is a 2016 Tuscan 3-pack that’s about as good of a deal as you will come across. All three are among the most sought-after bottles from Tuscany with sky-high ratings, notoriety and ageing potential (not to mention “grand cru” recognition in the world of wine).

For the holiday weekend only (or until we run out, which could be momentarily!), each bottle is $39+ for a grand total of $118.71/3-pack.

That is $ very well traded indeed!

Even though I can’t tell you anything about the three bottles, I can’t imagine any of you (collector, drinker, both) will be anything less than enamored with the receipt of all three. All are from 2016 (a fantastic campaign in Tuscany – think: 2016 Bordeaux) and all are renown around the globe as definitive examples of what it means to embrace Tuscan tradition while upholding their heritage and reputation as a leader of the Tuscan/Italian firmament. In other words, I’m typing about a strata of success with a track record as “world class”.

If you consider the fact that a single bottle of 2016 Tignanello will set you back approximately the same $ as this 3-pack and at least one of the wines in the 3-pack was rated HIGHER than 2016 Tignanello (and the other 2 bottles the same or nearly the same rating as Tignanello), that’s what this scribe would call opportunity knocking in the form of a Tuscan triple!
The wines were indeed the 2016 Fontalloro, Maestro Raro, and Rancia, so if I were putting money on this I'd say it's the 2017 this time around.

Either way, I haven't been disappointed with the Italian mysteries from Jon (the California/Oregon Pinot Noirs are a different story, but I digress.....)
K u o

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1647
Joined: May 14th, 2016, 9:22 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3812 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » August 15th, 2020, 1:23 pm

KevinK wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 1:12 pm

The wines were indeed the 2016 Fontalloro, Maestro Raro, and Rancia, so if I were putting money on this I'd say it's the 2017 this time around.

Either way, I haven't been disappointed with the Italian mysteries from Jon (the California/Oregon Pinot Noirs are a different story, but I digress.....)
Bingo, thanks! (and so much for relying on my memory...) [cheers.gif]

Not a bad deal at all, maybe I'll unresist if it's not sold out...
Last edited by D@ve D y r 0 f f on August 15th, 2020, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emile bond
Posts: 126
Joined: March 20th, 2016, 10:16 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3813 Post by emile bond » August 15th, 2020, 1:26 pm

BenjaminL wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 1:44 pm
MatthewT wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 2:16 pm
Today a $289.70 mystery Napa Cab from 2016 where he doesn't even bother to tell you what retail is and says "this *should* be the lowest $ you see".

loooooooool

I bet the wine is offered for $300 from the winery.
This mystery wine turned out to be 2016 Pym Rae retailing at $350 currently. I've had the ~$80 Robert Craig version, kinda *meh *on this reveal (but more interesting than an Opus One would have been).
Just for context 2015 was the last vintage Craig produced wine from Pym-Rae. Thomas Comme, the son of Monseuir Comme who made wine at Pontet-Canet for decades, began managing property during January 2016 and vinified 2016 and all subsequent vintages. The vineyard has been converted to biodynamic and completely dry farmed. Of course, 2016 would have not have benefitted fully from these changes. However, moving forward the wine may reveal a different personality than wines during the Craig era. Vine age is at roughly 30 years as of this year.

P. Dias
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 35
Joined: May 6th, 2020, 1:11 pm
Location: New York City

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3814 Post by P. Dias » August 15th, 2020, 2:37 pm

KevinK wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 1:12 pm
I remember the Trio offer from last year because it was my first or second order from Garagiste and I bit on a case. Dug up the offer from 6 Jul 2019
Saturday: Tuscan Triple

Dear Friends,

It’s a holiday weekend so why not dig into our stash of new arrivals with a deal worthy of an extra fireworks display :)

This is a 2016 Tuscan 3-pack that’s about as good of a deal as you will come across. All three are among the most sought-after bottles from Tuscany with sky-high ratings, notoriety and ageing potential (not to mention “grand cru” recognition in the world of wine).

For the holiday weekend only (or until we run out, which could be momentarily!), each bottle is $39+ for a grand total of $118.71/3-pack.

That is $ very well traded indeed!

Even though I can’t tell you anything about the three bottles, I can’t imagine any of you (collector, drinker, both) will be anything less than enamored with the receipt of all three. All are from 2016 (a fantastic campaign in Tuscany – think: 2016 Bordeaux) and all are renown around the globe as definitive examples of what it means to embrace Tuscan tradition while upholding their heritage and reputation as a leader of the Tuscan/Italian firmament. In other words, I’m typing about a strata of success with a track record as “world class”.

If you consider the fact that a single bottle of 2016 Tignanello will set you back approximately the same $ as this 3-pack and at least one of the wines in the 3-pack was rated HIGHER than 2016 Tignanello (and the other 2 bottles the same or nearly the same rating as Tignanello), that’s what this scribe would call opportunity knocking in the form of a Tuscan triple!
The wines were indeed the 2016 Fontalloro, Maestro Raro, and Rancia, so if I were putting money on this I'd say it's the 2017 this time around.

Either way, I haven't been disappointed with the Italian mysteries from Jon (the California/Oregon Pinot Noirs are a different story, but I digress.....)
Awesome, thank you.
P e d r o

KevinK
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 32
Joined: July 27th, 2019, 12:23 am

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3815 Post by KevinK » August 18th, 2020, 1:48 pm

I've been putting off getting my wines from Garagiste and just took delivery of a bunch of mysteries at offsite storage and am having a hard time linking them to the offers (and more importantly, the $ so I can keep records). Hoping some folks on here picked up on a more timely basis and are able to help me connect the dots... Thanks in advance and happy to share a compiled list afterwards.

2018 DeLille Cellars Chaleur Blanc (I think this is "The World's Top White Wine" for $19.91+, which is interesting because I'd been picking these up at Costco for closer to $30 but now wine-searcher shows offers in the low $20s)
2018 Castello Romitorio RomiToro
2015 Castello Romitorio BdM
2014 Cantina di Montalcino BdM
2017 Thomas Gerrie Seven Hills Vineyard Red Blend
2014 & 2015 21 Grams Red Blend
2015 Sleight of Hand The Sorceress
2015 Sleight of Hand Cellars The Archimage
2017 Ken Wright Cellars Pinot Noir Willamette Valley
2016 Walla Walla Vintners Sagemoor Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
2012 Podere La Berta Olmatello Sangiovese Riserva
2015 Il Poggione BdM
2015 Agostino Bosco Barolo Neirane
2015 Agostino Bosco Barolo La Serra
2015 Soos Creek Red Wine Ciel du Cheval Vineyard
2012, 2014, 2015 Schiavenza Broglio Barolo

BTW, the Champagne mystery set from August of last year turned out to be Union Champagne de Saint Gall Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée Orpale Blanc de Blancs ('96, '98, '02, '04 for $530+)
K u o

Tom W
Posts: 92
Joined: December 8th, 2016, 4:45 pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3816 Post by Tom W » August 18th, 2020, 1:50 pm

KevinK wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 1:48 pm
I've been putting off getting my wines from Garagiste and just took delivery of a bunch of mysteries at offsite storage and am having a hard time linking them to the offers (and more importantly, the $ so I can keep records). Hoping some folks on here picked up on a more timely basis and are able to help me connect the dots... Thanks in advance and happy to share a compiled list afterwards.

2018 DeLille Cellars Chaleur Blanc (I think this is "The World's Top White Wine" for $19.91+, which is interesting because I'd been picking these up at Costco for closer to $30 but now wine-searcher shows offers in the low $20s)
2018 Castello Romitorio RomiToro
2015 Castello Romitorio BdM
2014 Cantina di Montalcino BdM
2017 Thomas Gerrie Seven Hills Vineyard Red Blend
2014 & 2015 21 Grams Red Blend
2015 Sleight of Hand The Sorceress
2015 Sleight of Hand Cellars The Archimage
2017 Ken Wright Cellars Pinot Noir Willamette Valley
2016 Walla Walla Vintners Sagemoor Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
2012 Podere La Berta Olmatello Sangiovese Riserva
2015 Il Poggione BdM
2015 Agostino Bosco Barolo Neirane
2015 Agostino Bosco Barolo La Serra
2015 Soos Creek Red Wine Ciel du Cheval Vineyard
2012, 2014, 2015 Schiavenza Broglio Barolo

BTW, the Champagne mystery set from August of last year turned out to be Union Champagne de Saint Gall Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée Orpale Blanc de Blancs ('96, '98, '02, '04 for $530+)
I think this is always indicated on my packing slips.
W a r d

User avatar
Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1089
Joined: July 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3817 Post by Sean_S » August 18th, 2020, 1:52 pm

KevinK wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 1:48 pm
I've been putting off getting my wines from Garagiste and just took delivery of a bunch of mysteries at offsite storage and am having a hard time linking them to the offers (and more importantly, the $ so I can keep records). Hoping some folks on here picked up on a more timely basis and are able to help me connect the dots... Thanks in advance and happy to share a compiled list afterwards.

2018 DeLille Cellars Chaleur Blanc (I think this is "The World's Top White Wine" for $19.91+, which is interesting because I'd been picking these up at Costco for closer to $30 but now wine-searcher shows offers in the low $20s)
2018 Castello Romitorio RomiToro
2015 Castello Romitorio BdM
2014 Cantina di Montalcino BdM
2017 Thomas Gerrie Seven Hills Vineyard Red Blend
2014 & 2015 21 Grams Red Blend
2015 Sleight of Hand The Sorceress
2015 Sleight of Hand Cellars The Archimage
2017 Ken Wright Cellars Pinot Noir Willamette Valley
2016 Walla Walla Vintners Sagemoor Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
2012 Podere La Berta Olmatello Sangiovese Riserva
2015 Il Poggione BdM
2015 Agostino Bosco Barolo Neirane
2015 Agostino Bosco Barolo La Serra
2015 Soos Creek Red Wine Ciel du Cheval Vineyard
2012, 2014, 2015 Schiavenza Broglio Barolo

BTW, the Champagne mystery set from August of last year turned out to be Union Champagne de Saint Gall Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée Orpale Blanc de Blancs ('96, '98, '02, '04 for $530+)
you can login to app.garagiste.com and between that and your shipping invoice you can correlate the mystery offers with a little effort. The piece of paper that came with your wine is the key. if you lost that you are out of luck except for hard work.

Sean
Last edited by Sean_S on August 18th, 2020, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard
1999 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie

KevinK
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 32
Joined: July 27th, 2019, 12:23 am

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3818 Post by KevinK » August 18th, 2020, 1:53 pm

@Tom W: Ahh that would make it a lot easier, never occurred to me to ask the friendly folks at P55. Thanks the tip, I'll check and report back.
K u o

ChrisWolff
Posts: 83
Joined: December 4th, 2019, 9:49 am

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3819 Post by ChrisWolff » August 19th, 2020, 9:07 am

Anyone jump on the C2 Malbec? Price and ratings looked very good so I took a shot on 2 bottles

Mariano Chiaramonte
Posts: 4
Joined: August 20th, 2020, 3:44 pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3820 Post by Mariano Chiaramonte » August 20th, 2020, 4:04 pm

KevinK wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 1:48 pm

2015 Il Poggione BdM

BTW, the Champagne mystery set from August of last year turned out to be Union Champagne de Saint Gall Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée Orpale Blanc de Blancs ('96, '98, '02, '04 for $530+)
I think that the 2015 Il Poggione BdM was offered as NightLite #1061 – 2015 Brunello di Montalcino for $48.70

jpolaneczky
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4
Joined: August 22nd, 2020, 8:54 am

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3821 Post by jpolaneczky » August 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am

ChrisWolff wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 9:07 am
Anyone jump on the C2 Malbec? Price and ratings looked very good so I took a shot on 2 bottles
I picked up two, though I think if one is interested/curious enough to pick up 2, then 3 minimum is more in order. Pop one right away, and make the call. If it's good then you have two to lay down, provided of course the subject wine is age worthy. Next time...
J o e y

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 826
Joined: May 4th, 2014, 2:11 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3822 Post by Ron Slye » August 22nd, 2020, 11:40 am

jpolaneczky wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
ChrisWolff wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 9:07 am
Anyone jump on the C2 Malbec? Price and ratings looked very good so I took a shot on 2 bottles
I picked up two, though I think if one is interested/curious enough to pick up 2, then 3 minimum is more in order. Pop one right away, and make the call. If it's good then you have two to lay down, provided of course the subject wine is age worthy. Next time...
It's funny -- that is why I try to do 4 -- pop one early, and have three to age or share.

User avatar
mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2246
Joined: October 8th, 2011, 8:48 am

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3823 Post by mattcitrang » August 22nd, 2020, 1:13 pm

Good price, picked up some to finish a case.

2018 Patricia Green Cellars “Lia’s Vineyard” Pinot Noir 750ml (Oregon) - $29.74

Brian Glas
Posts: 268
Joined: April 25th, 2018, 8:01 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3824 Post by Brian Glas » August 23rd, 2020, 12:50 pm

mattcitrang wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 1:13 pm
Good price, picked up some to finish a case.

2018 Patricia Green Cellars “Lia’s Vineyard” Pinot Noir 750ml (Oregon) - $29.74
That was tempting but I just got back from Oregon and already loaded up on Pinot. I don't think I've had Patty Green's Lias but I always enjoy the Longplay bottlings of Lias. I actually saw Lia at the Tigard Costco doing grocery shopping with Todd. Small world.

Cgomezmoreno
Posts: 6
Joined: August 5th, 2020, 3:10 pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3825 Post by Cgomezmoreno » August 24th, 2020, 8:53 am

How do you guys reorder? Is it an email to Jon? I’m in Florida, so I’m always at least a few months from the original order.
Carlos

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 771
Joined: January 28th, 2011, 2:46 pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3826 Post by Dennis Borczon » August 24th, 2020, 2:12 pm

Any guess what the latest $16 Oregon Pinot offering might be? Sounds interesting. Pretty vague clues, my guess is Drouhin?

Alan Newman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 383
Joined: January 27th, 2010, 8:41 pm
Location: Silicon Valley, CA

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3827 Post by Alan Newman » August 24th, 2020, 3:11 pm

Dennis Borczon wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 2:12 pm
Any guess what the latest $16 Oregon Pinot offering might be? Sounds interesting. Pretty vague clues, my guess is Drouhin?
Was guessing the "special designation" was a WS "Smart Buy" or "Highly Recommended". But couldn't find anything in the price range that matched. Maybe it's a Wine Enthusiast special designation?

Brian Glas
Posts: 268
Joined: April 25th, 2018, 8:01 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3828 Post by Brian Glas » August 24th, 2020, 3:21 pm

Dennis Borczon wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 2:12 pm
Any guess what the latest $16 Oregon Pinot offering might be? Sounds interesting. Pretty vague clues, my guess is Drouhin?
Could be? Their Roserock bottling? Maybe the 2018 was just bottled and they need to dump some. I wouldn't think that Drouhin would need to rush to sell wine but that Roserock vineyard seems pretty big and maybe their warehouses are filling up.

jpolaneczky
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4
Joined: August 22nd, 2020, 8:54 am

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3829 Post by jpolaneczky » August 24th, 2020, 5:03 pm

No idea but I bit...4 bottles. We shall see...
J o e y

ChrisWolff
Posts: 83
Joined: December 4th, 2019, 9:49 am

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3830 Post by ChrisWolff » August 24th, 2020, 6:45 pm

jpolaneczky wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 5:03 pm
No idea but I bit...4 bottles. We shall see...
If you’re going to get 4, you might as well get 5

jpolaneczky
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4
Joined: August 22nd, 2020, 8:54 am

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3831 Post by jpolaneczky » August 25th, 2020, 4:22 am

Why not 12? That 1er Chablis from last night at $19. Had to do it.
J o e y

User avatar
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1759
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3832 Post by MatthewT » August 27th, 2020, 8:04 pm

He isn't even TRYING here! What do you think the actual pre-release price is of this wine if you got to know it's name? My guess is $125

Also what kind of English is this? "ALL HAVE (NOT) ARRIVED and (will not do so) shortly"

I have no idea what he's talking about. Will not do so shortly? So won't arrive anytime soon?


NightLite #1167 – Delicious Red Wine Mystery

Dear Friends,

A “legend” of the Southern Hemisphere is set to ship (from the source) and it’s another amazing effort in a long string of world-famous wines.

I can’t tell you anything about it (this vintage has not been officially “released” yet) but the vintage is excellent and already showing immense potential.

Dive in at this pre-release $!

ALL HAVE (NOT) ARRIVED and (will not do so) shortly with the finest/freshest provenance available. Local drive-through pick-up in the fall.

ONE SHIPMENT ONLY at this $.

FIRST COME FIRST SERVED up to 24/person until we run out:

Delicious Red Wine Mystery 750ml (Argentina) - $118.70
(at least 98pts)

To order: click the name of the item above in blue and follow the easy instructions – simply follow the prompts, enter the number of bottles desired and we’ll do the rest. That’s it!

community: (can’t reveal that)

With that...Goodnight!
I'm a Turk

User avatar
Geoff F.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 220
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 9:14 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3833 Post by Geoff F. » August 27th, 2020, 8:28 pm

MatthewT wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 8:04 pm
He isn't even TRYING here! What do you think the actual pre-release price is of this wine if you got to know it's name? My guess is $125

Also what kind of English is this? "ALL HAVE (NOT) ARRIVED and (will not do so) shortly"

I have no idea what he's talking about. Will not do so shortly? So won't arrive anytime soon?


NightLite #1167 – Delicious Red Wine Mystery

Dear Friends,

A “legend” of the Southern Hemisphere is set to ship (from the source) and it’s another amazing effort in a long string of world-famous wines.

I can’t tell you anything about it (this vintage has not been officially “released” yet) but the vintage is excellent and already showing immense potential.

Dive in at this pre-release $!

ALL HAVE (NOT) ARRIVED and (will not do so) shortly with the finest/freshest provenance available. Local drive-through pick-up in the fall.

ONE SHIPMENT ONLY at this $.

FIRST COME FIRST SERVED up to 24/person until we run out:

Delicious Red Wine Mystery 750ml (Argentina) - $118.70
(at least 98pts)

To order: click the name of the item above in blue and follow the easy instructions – simply follow the prompts, enter the number of bottles desired and we’ll do the rest. That’s it!

community: (can’t reveal that)

With that...Goodnight!
There are several to choose from in that range: https://www.wine-searcher.com/regions-a ... texpensive

You'd have to really really like Malbec though.
F r a n z

User avatar
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1759
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3834 Post by MatthewT » August 27th, 2020, 8:34 pm

Geoff F. wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 8:28 pm
MatthewT wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 8:04 pm
He isn't even TRYING here! What do you think the actual pre-release price is of this wine if you got to know it's name? My guess is $125

Also what kind of English is this? "ALL HAVE (NOT) ARRIVED and (will not do so) shortly"

I have no idea what he's talking about. Will not do so shortly? So won't arrive anytime soon?


NightLite #1167 – Delicious Red Wine Mystery

Dear Friends,

A “legend” of the Southern Hemisphere is set to ship (from the source) and it’s another amazing effort in a long string of world-famous wines.

I can’t tell you anything about it (this vintage has not been officially “released” yet) but the vintage is excellent and already showing immense potential.

Dive in at this pre-release $!

ALL HAVE (NOT) ARRIVED and (will not do so) shortly with the finest/freshest provenance available. Local drive-through pick-up in the fall.

ONE SHIPMENT ONLY at this $.

FIRST COME FIRST SERVED up to 24/person until we run out:

Delicious Red Wine Mystery 750ml (Argentina) - $118.70
(at least 98pts)

To order: click the name of the item above in blue and follow the easy instructions – simply follow the prompts, enter the number of bottles desired and we’ll do the rest. That’s it!

community: (can’t reveal that)

With that...Goodnight!
There are several to choose from in that range: https://www.wine-searcher.com/regions-a ... texpensive

You'd have to really really like Malbec though.
Oh, I aint buying. I'm more commenting on how lame the offer is. He doesn't even try and tell us what the discount is. My guess is it's virtually nothing and he's using "mystery" to try and get sales.
I'm a Turk

User avatar
PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4151
Joined: May 14th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3835 Post by PeterH » August 27th, 2020, 9:03 pm

I might buy a Malbec or Malbec blend if discounted from $100+ to less than $20. Not otherwise.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

User avatar
Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 344
Joined: January 27th, 2017, 7:26 am
Location: Falmouth, Maine

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3836 Post by Mark Morrissette » August 28th, 2020, 5:23 am

MatthewT wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 8:04 pm


Also what kind of English is this? "ALL HAVE (NOT) ARRIVED and (will not do so) shortly"


I have been judiciously buying Garagiste offers for several years, but this line is a major pet peeve of mine. I have no idea what he is talking about, and it is in every email.

Is it there, or not? If not, when do you expect it? Seems pretty straightforward to answer those questions in a straightforward way.

Like I said, I buy anyway on offers I am interested in, but that is a really dumb line.

Brian Glas
Posts: 268
Joined: April 25th, 2018, 8:01 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3837 Post by Brian Glas » August 29th, 2020, 5:06 pm

MatthewT wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 8:34 pm
Oh, I aint buying. I'm more commenting on how lame the offer is. He doesn't even try and tell us what the discount is. My guess is it's virtually nothing and he's using "mystery" to try and get sales.
Agreed. That offer is in the running for worst of the year. Who spends $120 on a mystery wine from Argentina?

User avatar
ChrisL
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 43
Joined: August 4th, 2020, 1:20 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3838 Post by ChrisL » August 31st, 2020, 5:46 pm

Bouchard today! Tried to get some. Fingers crossed
Ludg@te

User avatar
Brent S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 234
Joined: August 8th, 2019, 9:59 am

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3839 Post by Brent S » August 31st, 2020, 9:20 pm

The Bouchard was unfortunately sold out in 5 minutes. Unbelievable.
Br@nt $prenkle

User avatar
Arv R
Posts: 4239
Joined: January 11th, 2015, 3:53 pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3840 Post by Arv R » September 1st, 2020, 4:31 pm

Brian Glas wrote:
August 29th, 2020, 5:06 pm
MatthewT wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 8:34 pm
Oh, I aint buying. I'm more commenting on how lame the offer is. He doesn't even try and tell us what the discount is. My guess is it's virtually nothing and he's using "mystery" to try and get sales.
Agreed. That offer is in the running for worst of the year. Who spends $120 on a mystery wine from Argentina?
I posit the real value of all those high end South American wines is what they fetch at Costco and these Mystery Offers (after the reveal).
R_@_0

Mariano Chiaramonte
Posts: 4
Joined: August 20th, 2020, 3:44 pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3841 Post by Mariano Chiaramonte » September 2nd, 2020, 7:44 am

Did anyone who does local pickup bought some bottles of the Fri Jun 5th 2018 Chateauneuf du Pape Mystery? I just saw that the shipment has arrived and I'm very curious about the wine.

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 826
Joined: May 4th, 2014, 2:11 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3842 Post by Ron Slye » September 2nd, 2020, 4:25 pm

I am resisting the Beaujolais offers. I do not need more wine. But if I did, I would bite on many of these. I have started to realize that high quality Beaujolais punches way above its price point. So I am assuming these do that even more!

Mariano Chiaramonte
Posts: 4
Joined: August 20th, 2020, 3:44 pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3843 Post by Mariano Chiaramonte » September 3rd, 2020, 4:49 am

Ron Slye wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 4:25 pm
I am resisting the Beaujolais offers. I do not need more wine. But if I did, I would bite on many of these. I have started to realize that high quality Beaujolais punches way above its price point. So I am assuming these do that even more!
Unfortunately that offer was sold out in the blink of an eye.

Brian Glas
Posts: 268
Joined: April 25th, 2018, 8:01 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3844 Post by Brian Glas » September 4th, 2020, 6:09 pm

Ron Slye wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 4:25 pm
I am resisting the Beaujolais offers. I do not need more wine. But if I did, I would bite on many of these. I have started to realize that high quality Beaujolais punches way above its price point. So I am assuming these do that even more!
Agreed. Some of my best QPRs this year have been Beaujolais wines. Why spend $75 for a meh Burgundy when you can get a first rate Beaujolais for $30.

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 709
Joined: August 7th, 2019, 10:45 pm
Location: SF Bay Area - Mid Peninsula

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3845 Post by JonathanG » September 4th, 2020, 8:08 pm

Mark Morrissette wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 5:23 am
MatthewT wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 8:04 pm


Also what kind of English is this? "ALL HAVE (NOT) ARRIVED and (will not do so) shortly"


I have been judiciously buying Garagiste offers for several years, but this line is a major pet peeve of mine. I have no idea what he is talking about, and it is in every email.

Is it there, or not? If not, when do you expect it? Seems pretty straightforward to answer those questions in a straightforward way.

Like I said, I buy anyway on offers I am interested in, but that is a really dumb line.
100% agree. Its like they were supposed to either delete the parenthetical or remove the parenthesis and did neither. I may email them and ask what it means
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1647
Joined: May 14th, 2016, 9:22 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3846 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » September 4th, 2020, 9:50 pm

JonathanG wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 8:08 pm
Mark Morrissette wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 5:23 am
MatthewT wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 8:04 pm


Also what kind of English is this? "ALL HAVE (NOT) ARRIVED and (will not do so) shortly"


I have been judiciously buying Garagiste offers for several years, but this line is a major pet peeve of mine. I have no idea what he is talking about, and it is in every email.

Is it there, or not? If not, when do you expect it? Seems pretty straightforward to answer those questions in a straightforward way.

Like I said, I buy anyway on offers I am interested in, but that is a really dumb line.
100% agree. Its like they were supposed to either delete the parenthetical or remove the parenthesis and did neither. I may email them and ask what it means
I have no idea if this is accurate but I have always read these as if there were no parentheses, and taken the parentheses as if he intended some kind of emphasis. So I would read the above as if these are neither in stock nor short-term pre-arrivals.

User avatar
Sherri S h a p i r o
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 3744
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:22 pm
Location: South FL

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3847 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » September 5th, 2020, 4:39 am

KevinK wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 1:48 pm
I've been putting off getting my wines from Garagiste and just took delivery of a bunch of mysteries at offsite storage and am having a hard time linking them to the offers (and more importantly, the $ so I can keep records). Hoping some folks on here picked up on a more timely basis and are able to help me connect the dots... Thanks in advance and happy to share a compiled list afterwards.

2018 DeLille Cellars Chaleur Blanc (I think this is "The World's Top White Wine" for $19.91+, which is interesting because I'd been picking these up at Costco for closer to $30 but now wine-searcher shows offers in the low $20s)
2018 Castello Romitorio RomiToro
2015 Castello Romitorio BdM
2014 Cantina di Montalcino BdM
2017 Thomas Gerrie Seven Hills Vineyard Red Blend
2014 & 2015 21 Grams Red Blend
2015 Sleight of Hand The Sorceress
2015 Sleight of Hand Cellars The Archimage
2017 Ken Wright Cellars Pinot Noir Willamette Valley
2016 Walla Walla Vintners Sagemoor Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
2012 Podere La Berta Olmatello Sangiovese Riserva
2015 Il Poggione BdM
2015 Agostino Bosco Barolo Neirane
2015 Agostino Bosco Barolo La Serra
2015 Soos Creek Red Wine Ciel du Cheval Vineyard
2012, 2014, 2015 Schiavenza Broglio Barolo

BTW, the Champagne mystery set from August of last year turned out to be Union Champagne de Saint Gall Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée Orpale Blanc de Blancs ('96, '98, '02, '04 for $530+)
Kevin - were you able to put together some of the mystery wines to the offers? Wondering which one the 15 Il Poggione was. I bit on a couple Italian mysteries but I am in FL and won't get my wine for a while.

M Mager
Posts: 1370
Joined: June 1st, 2010, 3:19 pm
Location: Body in Seattle / Soul in Bosconia

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3848 Post by M Mager » September 12th, 2020, 2:12 pm

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 1:23 pm
KevinK wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 1:12 pm

The wines were indeed the 2016 Fontalloro, Maestro Raro, and Rancia, so if I were putting money on this I'd say it's the 2017 this time around.

Either way, I haven't been disappointed with the Italian mysteries from Jon (the California/Oregon Pinot Noirs are a different story, but I digress.....)
Bingo, thanks! (and so much for relying on my memory...) [cheers.gif]

Not a bad deal at all, maybe I'll unresist if it's not sold out...
Good guesses above on this one. Picked up my wines earlier today. This most recent "Tuscan Trio Mystery" offer (from Aug 15, 2020) is, in fact, the 2017 Felsina Cru Rancia, Fontalloro, and Maestro Raro.

Michael
Michael

M Mager
Posts: 1370
Joined: June 1st, 2010, 3:19 pm
Location: Body in Seattle / Soul in Bosconia

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3849 Post by M Mager » September 12th, 2020, 2:19 pm

Also, the 2019 Rose Mystery offer (from Aug 14, 2020) @ about $8 a bottle is the 2019 Domaine Lauriga Gris (VdP Cotes Catalanes).
Michael

User avatar
Sherri S h a p i r o
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 3744
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:22 pm
Location: South FL

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3850 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » September 12th, 2020, 3:09 pm

M Mager wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 2:12 pm
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 1:23 pm
KevinK wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 1:12 pm

The wines were indeed the 2016 Fontalloro, Maestro Raro, and Rancia, so if I were putting money on this I'd say it's the 2017 this time around.

Either way, I haven't been disappointed with the Italian mysteries from Jon (the California/Oregon Pinot Noirs are a different story, but I digress.....)
Bingo, thanks! (and so much for relying on my memory...) [cheers.gif]

Not a bad deal at all, maybe I'll unresist if it's not sold out...
Good guesses above on this one. Picked up my wines earlier today. This most recent "Tuscan Trio Mystery" offer (from Aug 15, 2020) is, in fact, the 2017 Felsina Cru Rancia, Fontalloro, and Maestro Raro.

Michael
Thank you, Michael!

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”