The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
Hoang Pham
Posts: 49
Joined: November 7th, 2017, 11:08 am

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3451 Post by Hoang Pham » August 2nd, 2019, 4:12 pm

vwsmaltz wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 3:48 pm
Hmmm A new NAPA Cab Myster....

More Summer Crazy – Napa Valley
Pretty sure it's Del Dotto. Wth, in for a case.

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 50
Joined: July 9th, 2019, 2:33 pm
Location: Carlsbad, CA

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3452 Post by joeduncan » August 2nd, 2019, 4:28 pm

Hoang Pham wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 4:12 pm
vwsmaltz wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 3:48 pm
Hmmm A new NAPA Cab Myster....

More Summer Crazy – Napa Valley
Pretty sure it's Del Dotto. Wth, in for a case.
Garagiste mystery? In for a case? You're crazy!

Hoang Pham
Posts: 49
Joined: November 7th, 2017, 11:08 am

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3453 Post by Hoang Pham » August 2nd, 2019, 6:42 pm

joeduncan wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 4:28 pm
Hoang Pham wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 4:12 pm
vwsmaltz wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 3:48 pm
Hmmm A new NAPA Cab Myster....

More Summer Crazy – Napa Valley
Pretty sure it's Del Dotto. Wth, in for a case.
Garagiste mystery? In for a case? You're crazy!
TGIF! I've been pretty lucky with Garagiste mystery wines, so always up for a gamble. In any case, there are plenty people around me who enjoy a Del Dotto Cab. So they should make decent gifts if they don't match my palate.

User avatar
Sherri S h a p i r o
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 2409
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:22 pm
Location: South FL

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3454 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » August 2nd, 2019, 7:09 pm

Please report back when you get them!

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 50
Joined: July 9th, 2019, 2:33 pm
Location: Carlsbad, CA

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3455 Post by joeduncan » August 7th, 2019, 9:41 pm

Does anyone have any experience with Clos du Joncuas? Cellartracker comments look interesting on all 3 for the price...

User avatar
Bret D!sk!n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 82
Joined: September 11th, 2017, 5:53 pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3456 Post by Bret D!sk!n » August 8th, 2019, 5:21 pm

Anyone know what today’s mystery gran selezione is? It says it was offered as well last fall.

User avatar
PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3268
Joined: May 14th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3457 Post by PeterH » August 8th, 2019, 5:44 pm

M Mager posted-
"The "Tuscan Surprise" mystery wine offer from Oct 2018 = 2013 Castello di Gabbiano CC Gran Selezione "Bellezza". Seems like a pretty good buy at $20/per."
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Sean McK
Posts: 9
Joined: December 20th, 2018, 2:58 pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3458 Post by Sean McK » August 9th, 2019, 6:28 am

Interestingly, a different vintage of the Gabbiano Bellezza (2012) was offered in April 2018 as "Mystery Gran Selezione Chianti Classico" for $14. I wonder if Gabbiano is becoming another Garagiste "house" mystery wine, a la Felsina? (Maybe they already were and I just didn't know!)
K e e

User avatar
Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4149
Joined: February 1st, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3459 Post by Kris Patten » August 9th, 2019, 7:22 am

Sean McK wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 6:28 am
Interestingly, a different vintage of the Gabbiano Bellezza (2012) was offered in April 2018 as "Mystery Gran Selezione Chianti Classico" for $14. I wonder if Gabbiano is becoming another Garagiste "house" mystery wine, a la Felsina? (Maybe they already were and I just didn't know!)
If it's still with Treasury, just part of the usual Treasury fiscal close fire-sale.
ITB

M a t t W e i n s t e i n
Posts: 55
Joined: July 9th, 2016, 5:52 pm
Location: Washington D.C.

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3460 Post by M a t t W e i n s t e i n » August 9th, 2019, 12:48 pm

Today's mystery pinot should be the Angela Estate “Abbott Claim” 2015, for any interested. Would be a good price for $16-17 delivered.

Rich Salsano
Posts: 564
Joined: February 11th, 2011, 10:02 am

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3461 Post by Rich Salsano » August 9th, 2019, 2:48 pm

M a t t W e i n s t e i n wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 12:48 pm
Today's mystery pinot should be the Angela Estate “Abbott Claim” 2015, for any interested. Would be a good price for $16-17 delivered.
Agreed. Requested 6. Great price.
Richard Salsano

Peter Shurman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 644
Joined: September 13th, 2010, 2:44 pm
Location: West Haverstraw NY

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3462 Post by Peter Shurman » August 9th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Rich Salsano wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 2:48 pm
M a t t W e i n s t e i n wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 12:48 pm
Today's mystery pinot should be the Angela Estate “Abbott Claim” 2015, for any interested. Would be a good price for $16-17 delivered.
Agreed. Requested 6. Great price.
didn't think you were one to buy mysteries ... [cheers.gif]
keeping those ITB in business

User avatar
Bryan Carr
Posts: 473
Joined: December 28th, 2015, 10:56 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3463 Post by Bryan Carr » August 9th, 2019, 4:44 pm

M a t t W e i n s t e i n wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 12:48 pm
Today's mystery pinot should be the Angela Estate “Abbott Claim” 2015, for any interested. Would be a good price for $16-17 delivered.
Yep. In for 3 as well.
CT: the_lovenest

G. Singh
Posts: 62
Joined: January 4th, 2016, 10:46 pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3464 Post by G. Singh » August 10th, 2019, 6:37 am

Thanks, in for 6 as well.
G u r k i r p a l

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 310
Joined: May 14th, 2016, 9:22 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3465 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » August 10th, 2019, 5:10 pm

Nino Jesus is back!!! [cheers.gif]

User avatar
Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3571
Joined: January 11th, 2015, 3:53 pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3466 Post by Arv R » August 12th, 2019, 10:08 pm

joeduncan wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 9:41 pm
Does anyone have any experience with Clos du Joncuas? Cellartracker comments look interesting on all 3 for the price...
It's a pretty good Gigondas producer, with some other AOC bottlings I think too. Chambers St. has been bringing them in for a while, and usually has good color on them in their emails. I have some but have not opened any in a long time.
R_@_0

User avatar
Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2124
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3467 Post by Robert M yers » August 13th, 2019, 5:54 am

I’m long out of the Garagiste game, but I am thankful that he introduced me to Prevost before the prices went through the roof. Does he still attempt to find upcoming small producers or is it all mystery wines now?

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 50
Joined: July 9th, 2019, 2:33 pm
Location: Carlsbad, CA

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3468 Post by joeduncan » August 13th, 2019, 10:33 am

Arv R wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 10:08 pm
joeduncan wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 9:41 pm
Does anyone have any experience with Clos du Joncuas? Cellartracker comments look interesting on all 3 for the price...
It's a pretty good Gigondas producer, with some other AOC bottlings I think too. Chambers St. has been bringing them in for a while, and usually has good color on them in their emails. I have some but have not opened any in a long time.
Thank you! I had grabbed 2 bottles of the 3 offerings from them, so was hopeful to give it a try.
Robert M yers wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 5:54 am
I’m long out of the Garagiste game, but I am thankful that he introduced me to Prevost before the prices went through the roof. Does he still attempt to find upcoming small producers or is it all mystery wines now?
See above :)

I'd say mystery wines are no more than 20% of offerings, however given the lack of info on cellartracker or here on most of the offerings, they are effectively mystery to me too!

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 50
Joined: July 9th, 2019, 2:33 pm
Location: Carlsbad, CA

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3469 Post by joeduncan » August 14th, 2019, 9:14 pm

Ok, who's getting the 5L Aldo? :)

User avatar
G. Greenbaum
Posts: 2238
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 7:45 am
Location: Up in here

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3470 Post by G. Greenbaum » August 15th, 2019, 9:01 am

Arv R wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 10:08 pm
joeduncan wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 9:41 pm
Does anyone have any experience with Clos du Joncuas? Cellartracker comments look interesting on all 3 for the price...
It's a pretty good Gigondas producer, with some other AOC bottlings I think too. Chambers St. has been bringing them in for a while, and usually has good color on them in their emails. I have some but have not opened any in a long time.
I have a few of the '16 Gigondas. They farm organically, massale selection. I've only sampled the '16 Gigondas, but enjoyed the first bottle for its pure red fruited Grenache minus the extraction and rusticity of other producers in the area. I'm happy to have a few.
Regards,
Gregg


ITB

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 50
Joined: July 9th, 2019, 2:33 pm
Location: Carlsbad, CA

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3471 Post by joeduncan » August 16th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Any guesses for this latest Sonoma Pinot Noir two-vintage mystery?
What I can tell you:

• This is the exact same wine, cork, label and contents as what trades around the nethersphere as I type this.

• It’s a Sonoma Pinot Noir with a long history (from a famous winery).

• The only way they would agree to the $ below was to mix two vintages – not two vintages in the same bottle but a random mix of two different (bottled) vintages that are on the market right now.

• Both vintages are highly thought of - this is not a “let’s get rid of the poor vintage” situation – one is an AG94 year and the other should not be far behind once it is noted (hint, hint).

• Both are the same single vineyard wine from Sonoma, just different vintages (there’s nearly the same amount of each vintage in this parcel so, if you request 6 or 12 bottles, your chance of acquiring both years is pretty darn good).

• We haven't offered this wine (in any vintage)...EVER.

• The lowest $ out there on both vintages is $60-70 (if memory serves, the winery tasting room tariff is/was around $70).

• Today’s two-vintage Mystery tariff is...$13+ (not kidding!)

I can’t tell you anything else about this wine because the Mystery $ is simply too crazy to further speculation as to what it is. When well-intentioned consumers trade $60-70 for the same wine that you are about to acquire for $13+, it tends to ruffle more than a few feathers and anger those in the trade to the point of pulling their hair out in toddler-like tantrums (that we would rather avoid).

So...

If you've enjoyed the recent camaraderie that your fellow Email List members have bestowed upon you in the form of Mystery craziness, I think it would be prudent to RUN TO THE BLUE LINE right about now!

Ready?

On your mark, get set...GO!

This parcel has ALREADY ARRIVED with the finest/freshest original provenance available – it is not a pre-arrival.

ONE SHIPMENT ONLY under $60.

FIRST COME FIRST SERVED up to 36/person until we run out:

Pinot Noir Two Vintage Mystery Sonoma 750ml (Sonoma) - $13.96
(compare at $60-70; two vintages of the same single vineyard Pinot Noir – you will receive a random mix of both vintages but both are highly thought of; the more you request, the more likely you are to receive both vintages ;)

Brent S
Posts: 3
Joined: August 8th, 2019, 9:59 am

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3472 Post by Brent S » August 16th, 2019, 6:02 pm

Not sure but I bought two. Figure I can always give it away as a holiday gift
Brent Sprenkle
Manhattan Beach Wine Auction

Tom O
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 23
Joined: January 21st, 2019, 4:53 pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3473 Post by Tom O » August 16th, 2019, 7:15 pm

I was going to bite on a couple but already sold out.
Tom O b r i n g e r

User avatar
PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3268
Joined: May 14th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3474 Post by PeterH » August 16th, 2019, 8:18 pm

Odds of guessing the winery, <5%. Odds of distinct cola on the nose >95%.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

User avatar
Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4149
Joined: February 1st, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3475 Post by Kris Patten » August 16th, 2019, 9:16 pm

PeterH wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 8:18 pm
Odds of guessing the winery, <5%. Odds of distinct cola on the nose >95%.
Off base.

* reiterating I have sold wine to Garagiste.

Jon had a great niche not hitting WSPro and being a great spot to clear out wines, especially imports, that have trouble selling thru in US. Over the past few years every distributor in America and abroad is on his list and will call producer if a wine is perceived to be sold under their cost, effectively acting as WSPro. The Mystery Wine is an insulation against that.

He is just doing as he did before and adapting to a changing market and how to exist within it.
ITB

Tom W
Posts: 53
Joined: December 8th, 2016, 4:45 pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3476 Post by Tom W » August 18th, 2019, 10:22 am

Kris Patten wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 9:16 pm
PeterH wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 8:18 pm
Odds of guessing the winery, <5%. Odds of distinct cola on the nose >95%.
Off base.

* reiterating I have sold wine to Garagiste.

Jon had a great niche not hitting WSPro and being a great spot to clear out wines, especially imports, that have trouble selling thru in US. Over the past few years every distributor in America and abroad is on his list and will call producer if a wine is perceived to be sold under their cost, effectively acting as WSPro. The Mystery Wine is an insulation against that.

He is just doing as he did before and adapting to a changing market and how to exist within it.
Re: "...Over the past few years every distributor in America and abroad is on his list..." And it seems quite a number of producers are on the list too, presumably to monitor offers. If I were a producer, I'd be on every Garagiste-like list out there with a program to vacuum up and consolidate the offers to provide market intelligence. (I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't little outfits out there that provide that as a service.) With that in mind, consider the offers where Rimmerman waxes about a long-time list member who wants to give back to the community or, with more straight-forward prose like the following from a June 14 offer "If I haven’t made this clear enough, a fellow Email List member/winery owner is giving you his very best..." Rimmerman has rarely stated that these "fellow Email List members" are actual long-time *buyers* from Garagiste, simple that they receive the emails. So that has always been my take on this claim about a list member wanting to "give back" - that the fellow list member is monitoring the offers and finally finds him/herself in a position where they need to move volume as quietly as possible...
W a r d

M Mager
Posts: 948
Joined: June 1st, 2010, 3:19 pm
Location: Body in Seattle / Soul in Bosconia

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3477 Post by M Mager » August 18th, 2019, 1:36 pm

The "2018 Mystery Bourgogne Blanc" offer from Feb 15th == Lamblin & Fils "Cepage Chardonnay"; offered at $9.98/bottle

First I've ever heard of this producer. As best I can tell, they have small domaine holdings in Chablis, but are primarily a negotiant (mostly in Burgundy, but also a bit in the Languedoc). Haven't popped on yet...

Michael
Michael

Brian Glas
Posts: 101
Joined: April 25th, 2018, 8:01 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3478 Post by Brian Glas » August 18th, 2019, 6:52 pm

PeterH wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 8:18 pm
Odds of guessing the winery, <5%. Odds of distinct cola on the nose >95%.
That was my expectation as well. Too many of the California Pinots tasted pretty much like a cherry coke to me. I'll pass.

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”