Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3401 Post by Tom W » May 18th, 2019, 11:53 am

James Lyon wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 9:43 am
MattOchs wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 4:47 am
Toby P wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 2:41 pm
I think decent chance it’s Angela Estate “Abbott Claim” pinot 2014 - Vivino offered it for around $20 back in november and pretty much fits all the other hints (Vivino rating above 4.0, just over 400 reviews for that specific year)
... I think that the Vivino offer included free shipping, so it was a much better deal than the Garagiste offer unless you can pick up.
Garagiste at under $14/btl plus (for me a couple states away) under $3/btl shipping gets me the delivered bottle at $16-$17, which by my math beats $20 with free shipping.

Thanks for helping sleuth this thing out. I went in for a few bottles...
W a r d

Tom W

#3402 Post by Tom W » May 18th, 2019, 11:58 am

Brian Glas wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 11:40 am
Agree on the Angela Estate. So when Jon is selling it for $13.97 how much does the winery get for it? $10?

I wonder if wineries are sitting on boatloads of unsold wine? If so we are likely to see more of these closeouts.
Similar to the media, folks like Garagiste and other retailers, regardless of their "angle" are never going to give you the straight dope inside story. My two cents from reading some random articles and reading between the lines in some wine region local newspapers is that there is a lot of good juice out there. I actually feel pretty stupid buying these days, because I'm nearly certain that when the next recession hits, it's going to hit the wine industry hard. Even if the recession is a normal one - not like the Great Recession - I think the deal rate could exceed those in the GR.
W a r d

Alan Newman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3403 Post by Alan Newman » May 18th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Brian Glas wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 11:40 am

I wonder if wineries are sitting on boatloads of unsold wine? If so we are likely to see more of these closeouts.
I completely agree, especially with the bountiful 2018 harvest in California.

I was just wine tasting in Murphys and the “current release” at all of the wineries I visited was 2014 for the reds. Whites were usually 2017.

So that means they have 2015, 16, 17 and 18 sitting in a warehouse.

I firmly believe we are at the beginning of lots more mystery wines and last bottle offerings.

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3404 Post by James Lyon » May 18th, 2019, 4:34 pm

Tom W wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 11:53 am
James Lyon wrote:
MattOchs wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 4:47 am

... I think that the Vivino offer included free shipping, so it was a much better deal than the Garagiste offer unless you can pick up.
Garagiste at under $14/btl plus (for me a couple states away) under $3/btl shipping gets me the delivered bottle at $16-$17, which by my math beats $20 with free shipping.

Sorry, I didn't see the official offer from Garagiste and I was assuming that Garagiste was selling at $20 as well. Obviously, a better deal at $14 with minimal shipping cost. It's been 7-8 years from my last order, but Garagiste shipping used to be on the higher end to the East Coast. I'm thinking $60-70 per case which would be close to the $20 per bottle offer from Vivino.

James

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3405 Post by Dave H. » May 18th, 2019, 5:23 pm

James Lyon wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 4:34 pm
Tom W wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 11:53 am
James Lyon wrote:

Sorry, I didn't see the official offer from Garagiste and I was assuming that Garagiste was selling at $20 as well. Obviously, a better deal at $14 with minimal shipping cost. It's been 7-8 years from my last order, but Garagiste shipping used to be on the higher end to the East Coast. I'm thinking $60-70 per case which would be close to the $20 per bottle offer from Vivino.

James
Actually surprisingly reasonable for a case to the east coast. $38.50 per case to Virginia in recent shipments.
Hendrik

Brian Glas

#3406 Post by Brian Glas » May 19th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Curious if they can get anyone to part with $90 for a mystery wine from Russian River Valley. No write up or anything.

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3407 Post by Ron Slye » May 19th, 2019, 6:28 pm

Brian Glas wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 5:29 pm
Curious if they can get anyone to part with $90 for a mystery wine from Russian River Valley. No write up or anything.
Yes, I was curious about that as well. What Russian River Valley Pinots go for much more than 90?

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3408 Post by Kris Patten » May 19th, 2019, 6:38 pm

All I could think of is Kosta Browne.
ITB

Kasey Dubler

#3409 Post by Kasey Dubler » June 13th, 2019, 7:34 am

Has anyone picked up or shipped out their "Pinot Noir Gold Rush" the single vineyard Mystery from Willamette from May 17th? I won't be able to ship mine till October, and curious if anyone knows what it ended up being?

Thank you,

Mattstolz

#3410 Post by Mattstolz » June 13th, 2019, 11:45 am

Anyone else think today’s 2016 Tuscany mystery might be Montevertine IGT? The price seems about right for a mystery offer of it, but I’m not very familiar with the ratings history of that wine.

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3411 Post by PeterH » June 13th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Kasey Dubler wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 7:34 am
Has anyone picked up or shipped out their "Pinot Noir Gold Rush" the single vineyard Mystery from Willamette from May 17th? I won't be able to ship mine till October, and curious if anyone knows what it ended up being?

Thank you,
The May 17 offer did turn out to be the Angela Abbot Claim. I would have been a good buy at twice the price.
Of course, if you order Mystery wines regularly, you will have to average in the money wasted on clinkers.

The Mystery Napa Valley Reserve Cab was 2014 Anderson Conn Valley. Glad I ordered only one out of curiosity. It's not usually to my liking.

And another- #950Mystery Red Mountain was Gorman, The Evil Twin. Once again, one is more than enough.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3412 Post by PeterH » June 13th, 2019, 12:40 pm

Mattstolz wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 11:45 am
Anyone else think today’s 2016 Tuscany mystery might be Montevertine IGT? The price seems about right for a mystery offer of it, but I’m not very familiar with the ratings history of that wine.
Seems like a drinking window starting with 2019 is not the style of Montevertine.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3413 Post by scamhi » June 13th, 2019, 1:29 pm

I can't believe this mystery shit is still going on...bunch of suckers
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Mattstolz

#3414 Post by Mattstolz » June 13th, 2019, 1:37 pm

scamhi wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 1:29 pm
I’ve actually had pretty awesome luck with the mystery wines. The three I’ve gotten have been a Rancia, an il Poggione, and a cheap bottle of BV. But I did swear I wouldn’t buy anymore from garigiste after my last shipment because the mysteries just got outta control.

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3415 Post by scamhi » June 13th, 2019, 1:46 pm

Mattstolz wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 1:37 pm
scamhi wrote:
I’ve actually had pretty awesome luck with the mystery wines. The three I’ve gotten have been a Rancia, an il Poggione, and a cheap bottle of BV. But I did swear I wouldn’t buy anymore from garigiste after my last shipment because the mysteries just got outta control.
I understand Mattstolz there are sometimes values. But Rimmerman is giving nothing away.
I like to purchase what I look for and know. I don't get the enjoyment of the guessing game
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Dan Sch

#3416 Post by Dan Sch » June 13th, 2019, 3:16 pm

Yeah I’ve done well on the two mystery grabs I’ve made... but I’m averaging one per year, so am pretty picky about which ones I go after.
Dan Schoeff

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3417 Post by Kris Patten » June 13th, 2019, 6:27 pm

scamhi wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 1:46 pm
Mattstolz wrote:
scamhi wrote:
I understand Mattstolz there are sometimes values. But Rimmerman is giving nothing away.
I like to purchase what I look for and know. I don't get the enjoyment of the guessing game
To be fair there are some legitimate reasons behind many mystery offers, mainly wines like mentioned above couldn't be offered at those prices with the actual wine attached to the offer.

Your point and risk aversion is very reasonable too.
ITB

Tom W

#3418 Post by Tom W » June 13th, 2019, 6:59 pm

scamhi wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 1:46 pm
Mattstolz wrote:
scamhi wrote:
We've all got opinions and here is mine, so let it be known... though I have mixed feelings about Rimmerman mysteries, I'm not sure I can rely on you...

Anyway, yeah, personal preference. Some like the idea of the chase and the deal, others, at best, can't be bothered reading through swindlespeak with barely a peak and what might arrive at their door.
W a r d

Kasey Dubler

#3419 Post by Kasey Dubler » June 14th, 2019, 8:19 am

PeterH wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 12:32 pm
Kasey Dubler wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 7:34 am

Thank you,
The May 17 offer did turn out to be the Angela Abbot Claim. I would have been a good buy at twice the price.
Of course, if you order Mystery wines regularly, you will have to average in the money wasted on clinkers.

The Mystery Napa Valley Reserve Cab was 2014 Anderson Conn Valley. Glad I ordered only one out of curiosity. It's not usually to my liking.

And another- #950Mystery Red Mountain was Gorman, The Evil Twin. Once again, one is more than enough.

Any chance you have the vintage too? Just want to enter it in CT...

My thoughts with Mystery wines is simple. My wife drinks all of my Oregon Pinot Noir about as fast as I can buy it, so when these Mystery offers arrive that I can potentially get a good wine for under $20 I jump at it. If they aren't good they will be drank by my wife and friends, and any Oregon Pinot under $20 isn't a bad deal... I usually only buy the low priced mystery offers and have them as cellar protectors, on occasion they are great wines and I set them aside...

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3420 Post by PeterH » June 14th, 2019, 10:33 am

The Angela is 2014, drinking well right now, with enough acidity and substance to last many years. Red fruits, no over-ripeness of excessive heat. Not a profound wine, but one that you won't get tired of drinking if you went in deep.

The Evil Twin is 2013, FWIW
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

C Wagner

#3421 Post by C Wagner » June 14th, 2019, 11:32 am

Anyone have a clue what this "Mystery of mystery" wine is today?
Chris

M Mager

#3422 Post by M Mager » June 14th, 2019, 1:07 pm

C Wagner wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 11:32 am
Most guesses on these are wrong, and mine probably will be, too. That being said, my first thought was Soos Creek Winery. They make a bunch of different Bdx blends, I've seen their wines a number of times on closeout sites, and I though I heard the owner/winemaking was considering retiring. If that's the case, this would be a good way to clear out small lots remaining with the winery. However, I'm not sure they have a flagship wine that sells at that high a price point.

Michael
Michael

C Wagner

#3423 Post by C Wagner » June 14th, 2019, 1:10 pm

M Mager wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 1:07 pm
C Wagner wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 11:32 am
Most guesses on these are wrong, and mine probably will be, too. That being said, my first thought was Soos Creek Winery. They make a bunch of different Bdx blends, I've seen their wines a number of times on closeout sites, and I though I heard the owner/winemaking was considering retiring. If that's the case, this would be a good way to clear out small lots remaining with the winery. However, I'm not sure they have a flagship wine that sells at that high a price point.

Michael
I've never heard of them before. Any good?

Thanks for your guess Michael!
Chris

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3424 Post by Ron Slye » June 14th, 2019, 1:45 pm

Soos Creek makes very good to excellent wines. But I don't think they retail for over $50 (?). Others may know, but I am pretty sure they are less than that.

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3425 Post by PeterH » June 14th, 2019, 1:46 pm

I was thinking Gorman.
http://www.gormanwinery.com/?page_id=39

Jon has also sold De Hoed before.
http://denhoedwines.orderport.net/wines/Library-Wines

Mark Ryan and Rasa are outside possibilities

Soos Creek does not fit the rich Napa like profile, and doesn't have $60-80 Cabs and blends. I did have a lower end Soos Creek Cab blend recently, and it was balanced and enjoyable.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

M Mager

#3426 Post by M Mager » June 14th, 2019, 2:08 pm

PeterH wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 1:46 pm
I was thinking Gorman.
http://www.gormanwinery.com/?page_id=39
I hope it's not Gorman. His wines are the poster-child for just about everything that I dislike in WA wines and winemaking. "Spinal Tap" wines...

Michael
Michael

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3427 Post by PeterH » June 14th, 2019, 2:24 pm

This is what Jon says about the wine

<The style of the winery is big, sultry and rich, savory and long on the palate (yes, each vintage and wine is different but that’s the overall style). If I had to make a comparison, I would say (in a Washington State sense) the winery leans more toward the Napa Valley floor side of things than the hills – think Venge instead of Mayacamas>

You know this can't be Andrew Will, for instance.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Hoang Pham

#3428 Post by Hoang Pham » June 14th, 2019, 3:09 pm

In for the gamble on the Mystery of the Mysteries. Hopefully Jon wasn't pulling a fast one here. In any case I have plenty of friends and family who love to drink this style of wine so if I don't enjoy it, someone else will for sure. In for a couple cases.

Toby P

#3429 Post by Toby P » June 15th, 2019, 10:29 am

Maybe wishful thinking, any chance it could be Delille or Quilceda Creek? Both have multiple bordeaux-style blends in the right price range / critics scores, have Hill / Mountain / Creek in the names etc. Can't comment to the style though
P r a t t

Lisa P o t t s

#3430 Post by Lisa P o t t s » June 15th, 2019, 3:28 pm

I think the den hoed makes sense. They have exactly 4 vintages of the Marie’s view. It sits right on the Columbia river, and it was offered as a mystery 4 years ago with a similiar write up. Only difference is last time was 40 bucks. Also, all their wine is 80-85 dollars
Last edited by Lisa P o t t s on June 15th, 2019, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toby P

#3431 Post by Toby P » June 15th, 2019, 5:31 pm

I think the Marie is 100% cab though, not bordeaux blend
P r a t t

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3432 Post by JDavisRoby » June 19th, 2019, 6:22 am

2015 Forman for $80? 2016 Forman second label for $35? Anyone go in on these?

Any intel on the La Grande Roche from Forman?
Joshu@

Toby P

#3433 Post by Toby P » June 28th, 2019, 7:49 pm

I know nothing about sake, but on the off chance anyone has thoughts on the sake offer yesterday ("Sake Purity") I'd be interested to hear

Also would love to know what the "Mystery of Mysteries" Washington wine was if anyone receives or picks their up!
P r a t t

Steven Miller

#3434 Post by Steven Miller » July 2nd, 2019, 3:26 pm

Today's update -- Battle with Amex.

I was fortunate to only have a few hundred $$ in outstanding recent orders which Amex credited to me (at the time).

https://docs.bmcgroup.com/en/384/20190702-1.pdf
tread lightly

M Mager

#3435 Post by M Mager » July 3rd, 2019, 8:08 am

Steven Miller wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 3:26 pm

I was fortunate to only have a few hundred $$ in outstanding recent orders which Amex credited to me (at the time).

Just curious -- what's the relationship between the issue you've indicated here and Garagiste? This looks like an issue related to Premier Cru, not Garagiste...

Michael
Michael

Steven Miller

#3436 Post by Steven Miller » July 3rd, 2019, 2:38 pm

Steven Miller wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 3:26 pm

Yes, I put clicked on the wrong thread my mistake.
tread lightly

Sean McK

#3437 Post by Sean McK » July 7th, 2019, 1:51 pm

One mystery solved:

"Mystery of Mysteries" = Den Hoed. I just got 1 bottle and it was Marie's View 2014.
K e e

Sean McK

#3438 Post by Sean McK » July 7th, 2019, 3:09 pm

And another:

"Mystery Chardonnay" offer from 5/3/2019 was Ken Wright Cellars, Celilo, 2013.
K e e

Toby P

#3439 Post by Toby P » July 7th, 2019, 3:16 pm

Thanks Sean, and good call Peter / Lisa on the Den Hoed. Never tried it before but looking forward to it
P r a t t

Toby P

#3440 Post by Toby P » July 11th, 2019, 3:32 pm

any guesses on the Chianti?
P r a t t

Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3441 Post by Mark Morrissette » July 12th, 2019, 6:47 am

Toby P wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 3:32 pm
Not much to go on. Interestingly, he did not even note that it was the "best price int he galaxy" or that is sells in some obscure wine shop for $125. No price comparison at all, other than "deal of the decade.... (could be)"

So, high risk. But, low entry fee, and I am sucker for good chianti, 2016 is supposed to be a very good year, and at $9: worst case I am making sangria with it. So... I bit on it.

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3442 Post by Dave H. » July 12th, 2019, 6:50 am

Toby P wrote:
2016 Felsina would fit the bill, I think. Looks like 93 JS and 91 Vinous. Would be about a 50% discount from what's available online. I asked for two--seemed low risk.
Hendrik

Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3443 Post by Mark Morrissette » July 12th, 2019, 9:12 am

Dave H. wrote:
July 12th, 2019, 6:50 am
Toby P wrote:
2016 Felsina would fit the bill, I think. Looks like 93 JS and 91 Vinous. Would be about a 50% discount from what's available online. I asked for two--seemed low risk.
Seems like a good guess.... I would be pretty happy with that.

jbray23

#3444 Post by jbray23 » July 13th, 2019, 10:30 pm

Personally I would bet against Felsina, they sell through their vintages... remember, mystery wines are wines that people have to get rid of or larger production, I’m guessing San Felice
Jason, back itb

Sean McK

#3445 Post by Sean McK » July 14th, 2019, 12:14 pm

Felsina has been a mystery wine previously.
K e e

Bret D!sk!n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3446 Post by Bret D!sk!n » July 15th, 2019, 9:14 am

As Sean said, Felsina is often a mystery wine. I purchased some of the 2016 Felsina CC last November on mystery, though the price was $13.82. Rancia and Fontalloro also usually make appearances at a good price each year. My guess with the chianti offering is that its not Felsina given the price difference from the last time the 2016 CC was offered as a mystery wine. The email also went out of its way to not specify that it was a Chianti Classico. I'm guessing that it is a rufina or something like that, though at $8 its hard to go wrong so I went in for a few for a mid-week pizza wine.

Return to “Wine Talk”