The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3351 Post by Arv R » December 28th, 2018, 6:30 pm

Right now, I'm enjoying the screwcap closed 2015 Dom. Courtois 'La Source' [Cotes du Rhone] that Rimmerman brought in a year or two ago. It has kept well despite being open in the fridge for 4 days. Fairly dark in color, medium bodied, spicy notes on the nose. It doesn't show any cloying notes that some OTT grenache blends have; it tilts more middle / AFWE than international/modern. There is some menthol notes here as well. It's a likable wine, lots of value for $10, although for my tastes I wouldn't reload. Glad to have tried it though, and I really want to support anyone who's bottling with modern closures. I've been hit with corked bottles twice in the last few weeks - on stuff I had cellared for more than a decade each - and it really bums me out.

One thing I'd observe about the Courtois - in a world of wines where some producers are sneaking in residual sugar - this feels very dry. It's not Texier, but for those who don't want gooey, sweet wines they might like this. I was subjected to some heavy RS Cali blends over the holidays, and they were so gross, I had switched to crappy whites instead.
R_@_0

Adam G

#3352 Post by Adam G » December 30th, 2018, 1:53 pm

Any thoughts on the Mystery Champagne offer today? I'm thinking 2008 Henriot Millesime meets all the criteria...
One of my favorite examples of 2008 vintage Champagne is from a “legendary” and classic house that’s a model of excellence. They cut zero corners and have some of the most fastidious standards in Champagne. Their 2008 is a stunning and gorgeous bottle of Champagne that will cellar for years but it is also tough for me to resist this evening. In addition, it already has a wealth of accolades, including a 95pt note from a major US source plus a stellar recent Burghound review (he recommends securing the wine in volume for the cellar!). The community also agrees (there isn’t a single review under 90pts and the range of community reviewers spans an assortment of palates and preferences).

My only problem?

It’s too much $!

Normally, $80-100+, it is strictly “forbidden” to offer bottles of the 2008 in the $60’s but if I veil the label as a Mystery I can do just that. For $68+, this wine is one of the top buys in prestige Champagne – it’s the beneficiary of a great vintage with a suave and classic personality that rolls over the palate with layers of jewel-worthy fruit and texture. Basically, it’s an investment in pleasure and surety that you will be able to rely on for a number of years, regardless of the event or circumstance (and it allows you to keep the $200+ vintage Krug in the cellar for another time!)
Wine Enthusiast 95 points. 93 from Burghound with the following line: "The outstanding 2008 vintage in Champagne can count another winner as this is a wine to buy and age in quantity. Note that while this could certainly be enjoyed now, I would continue to hold it for another 2 to 5 years."

Thoughts on the value there?
A. Gr0ssm@n

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3353 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 30th, 2018, 2:17 pm

It's Henriot 2008 Brut Millesime.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3354 Post by Kris Patten » December 31st, 2018, 7:14 am

Been a while since I sold Henriot, but the 1995/96 Brut was $24 wholesale, it was one of the great values in Champagne, Enchanteleurs was about $70.
ITB

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3355 Post by JDavisRoby » March 1st, 2019, 5:28 am

Anyone have experience with this juice?

2015 Knudsen Vineyards Pinot Noir

$27?
Joshu@

Geoff F.

#3356 Post by Geoff F. » March 7th, 2019, 9:25 pm

Any guesses on the Mystery du Sud today?
F r a n z

Adam G

#3357 Post by Adam G » March 8th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Geoff F. wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 9:25 pm
Any guesses on the Mystery du Sud today?
No idea, but a $100 mystery wine is rather bold...
A. Gr0ssm@n

Geoff F.

#3358 Post by Geoff F. » March 9th, 2019, 11:55 pm

I picked up the mystery Chambolle-Musigny for $50 and it would up being Boillot which I was happy with. But $100 was too much for an unknown.
F r a n z

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3359 Post by JDavisRoby » March 20th, 2019, 3:35 pm

Anyone jump on the Wind Gap Syrah for $19?
Joshu@

Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3360 Post by Mark Morrissette » March 20th, 2019, 4:13 pm

JDavisRoby wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 3:35 pm
Anyone jump on the Wind Gap Syrah for $19?
I did, for a few bottles.
Worst case, it will make a good daily drinker or party wine while I wait for others to age!

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3361 Post by Sean_S » March 20th, 2019, 11:14 pm

The previous wind gap closeouts have been good. The Syrah was very good and the 2015 pinot I'm drinking now is an excellent wine.
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Summit Rd, Redwood Estates, CA

Mason H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3362 Post by Mason H » March 21st, 2019, 6:39 am

I requested 2 cases of the '16 Nellessen Syrah. I popped a bottle of the '15 already and it was delicious. If the '16 is even close, it's a screaming deal.
Mason Hewitt

Brian Glas

#3363 Post by Brian Glas » March 21st, 2019, 7:10 am

I requested 6 based on the comments on the other Wind Gap wines.

BenjaminL

#3364 Post by BenjaminL » March 21st, 2019, 9:15 am

Nothing worse than buying 3 different Mystery Wines and having them all show up as the same bottle!!

6/18/18 From Offer: 2015 Mystery
12/29/18 From Offer: Saturday: Odds and Ends
8/29/18 From Offer: NightLite #857 – 2015 Tuscany Top

Well, now I've have plenty of 2015 Felsina Fontalloro!

edited for correct offer date/title
Last edited by BenjaminL on March 21st, 2019, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
B Leachman

Tom W

#3365 Post by Tom W » March 21st, 2019, 10:01 am

BenjaminL wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 9:15 am
Nothing worse than buying 3 different Mystery Wines and having them all show up as the same bottle!!
10/12/18 Fun.Friday #2 - Tuscany

Yes, and it is right up against the ethical line. Some wood say it crosses it. To me, it does. Clearly he went long on that bottle and couldn't move it, so he kept pitching it under different guises.

This is a great reason to never buy a Mystery offer that has the possibility of being the same bottle you already bought. But how do you monitor that? You would need to review all prior Mystery offers you've purchased and then compare the long-winded and "clever" language with the current Mystery offer you're considering. In fact, you may have already purchased from Garagiste the actual, known-label bottle that later gets pushed as a Mystery and have no idea you are doubling down.

So... it becomes an argument to avoid Garagiste Mystery offers full stop.
W a r d

Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3366 Post by Mark Morrissette » March 21st, 2019, 11:32 am

BenjaminL wrote:

Well.... At least it was a decent wine. Hopefully you got a good price....

Curious: was the price the same in all three offers, or did he adjust that as well?

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3367 Post by Arv R » March 21st, 2019, 4:24 pm

There's a lot of that 15 Fontallaro at my local Costco too, has been there for months
R_@_0

NoahR

#3368 Post by NoahR » March 21st, 2019, 7:09 pm

Arv R wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 4:24 pm
There's a lot of that 15 Fontallaro at my local Costco too, has been there for months
No one here is going to mistake me for a Rimmerman apologist, but, come on, people (not just you Arv of course):

1) he does not sell wine unless he gets it at a significant discount, and other buyers might get it a similar discounts. Costco often has great deals on great wines.
2) While Fontalloro may be a bit glossier than Rancia or the CCR, there is no doubting that it is an excellent wine, highly touted by critics, highly consistent and age worthy, and considered one of the best wines in the Chianti region. Would anyone be annoyed to find it as their Mystery Wine? I wouldn’t.
3) Everyone else, from Lyle Fass to Envoyer, makes multiple passes on wines they went big on. I forget half the time and sometimes by a wine twice. How many offers have we gotten for 06 Comtes from Envoyer? More than a dozen. Mystery Wines are Rimmerman’s shtick and we are all skeptical but yet we often pull the trigger - it’s fun - who are we kidding? It works for him, obviously. Nothing misleading or fraudulent about it, and if he doesn’t note in the offer that he’s never offered this wine before, you can probably assume he has...
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

M a t t W e i n s t e i n

#3369 Post by M a t t W e i n s t e i n » March 22nd, 2019, 6:38 am

Rimmerman usually sprinkles enough data into the subsequent offers for you to know its a repeat. At least that's my opinion, with respect to the Fontalloro offer. I had suspected the first of the three offers was Fontalloro, and the second one dropped the exact critic scores as a hint. I recall the third one being similarly obvious.

Tom W

#3370 Post by Tom W » March 22nd, 2019, 7:18 am

NoahR wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 7:09 pm
Arv R wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 4:24 pm
No one here is going to mistake me for a Rimmerman apologist, but, come on, people (not just you Arv of course):

1) he does not sell wine unless he gets it at a significant discount, and other buyers might get it a similar discounts. Costco often has great deals on great wines.
2) While Fontalloro may be a bit glossier than Rancia or the CCR, there is no doubting that it is an excellent wine, highly touted by critics, highly consistent and age worthy, and considered one of the best wines in the Chianti region. Would anyone be annoyed to find it as their Mystery Wine? I wouldn’t.
3) Everyone else, from Lyle Fass to Envoyer, makes multiple passes on wines they went big on. I forget half the time and sometimes by a wine twice. How many offers have we gotten for 06 Comtes from Envoyer? More than a dozen. Mystery Wines are Rimmerman’s shtick and we are all skeptical but yet we often pull the trigger - it’s fun - who are we kidding? It works for him, obviously. Nothing misleading or fraudulent about it, and if he doesn’t note in the offer that he’s never offered this wine before, you can probably assume he has...
Those are good points, but Envoyer and Fass(*) do not issue multiple *mystery* offers, sold with different pitches, that turn out to be the same wine. Envoyer usually mentions in subsequent pitches that the wine has been offered before (sometimes mentioning how many times if it is not the second time). It is a trivial matter (**) for any customer to check his/her inventory to see if the wine has previously been purchased. Trying to read the tea leaves on mystery offers with differing verbiage is much more cumbersome. I guess Rimmerman does exude the notion that it's part of a "game" and if you enjoy doing the detective work across lots of offers, it could be fun.

Another thing about Envoyer, it seems like he's more often a transparent when it comes to how he finds certain deals. Basically, "hey, a supplier had some of this they needed to move". Rimmerman, on the other hand, is preternaturally averse to the straight dope. Take the Scott Paul and Wind Gap offers. I mean, really? You feel compelled to spins some fantastic notion that the heavens are raining manna? Heck, even K&L mentioned such misfortunes in some of their offer notes.

* I haven't bought from Fass, because signing up (the inability to do so without extensive communications) and a number of issues around it made me very uncomfortable (and irked).
** Trivial, yes, but did I recently find that I'd bought twice by accident - you bet!
W a r d

M Mager

#3371 Post by M Mager » March 22nd, 2019, 11:57 am

I'm flummoxed by the outrage on this one. Makes me wonder if anyone actually read those three offer e-mails...

First mystery offer was June 2018. After discounting the usual Rimmerman hype and blathering, there isn't anything in that offer that I would say is not true. And, at least to me, $39 for 2015 Fontalloro is a pretty good value.

Second mystery offer was August 2018 (two months later) - and the first sentence of the e-mail begins with "We offered this wine a month or two ago...". Given that this second offer was a mystery one, why would anyone think that the previous offer would not also have been a mystery one? I'd say he was actually being more explicit than he usually is. Price was up $1/bottle. Still good value at $40.

Third mystery offer was December 2018 (4 months later). It's titled "Odds and Ends", and he starts out the e-mail in the first sentence stating that it includes stuff they found they already have in the warehouse. I read that at stuff they probably offered before. And, again, since it's a mystery offer, it would be reasonable to assume it was left-overs from a previous one. Same price as offered in Aug - still a good value.

I've certainly seen plenty of situations where there's legit criticism of their business practices, but I don't see how this one rises to that level... YMMV

Michael
Michael

RickieM

#3372 Post by RickieM » March 22nd, 2019, 12:49 pm

It seems there are a lot of Rimmerman bashers here in the forum. I bought quite a bit of wine from him several years ago and was overall pleased with my purchases, including the prices. Some I liked more than others but there wasn't anything I'd consider bad or not worth it. He does know how to hype his wines but I wouldn't question his integrity. I just feel some folks go out of their way to criticize him.
Rickie Miy@ke

Bob Hoelting
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3373 Post by Bob Hoelting » March 22nd, 2019, 1:32 pm

I have purchased 453 different wines from The garagiste over the past 12 years... some 1200 bottles (thank you, CT) Most were wines I knew I wanted to buy, but I've also explored many unknowns that, perhaps, Rimmerman's hype nudged me into trying. But I can count my disappointments on one hand, which is a great "failure" rate, if you will. I guess my palate lines up with his pretty well. Note: I think I've only bought 1 or 2 "mysteries" because I've always been skeptical in that regard.

As far as disappointing wines, I have had very bad luck with Full Pull over the years. I just unsubscribed last week.

Ken Schramm

#3374 Post by Ken Schramm » March 22nd, 2019, 2:59 pm

NoahR wrote:
1) he does not sell wine unless he gets it at a significant discount...
I'm not sure this is universally the case. Rimmerman moves a lot of classified Bordeaux, Prum, Huet, et al. I would be very surprised if any of those cellars are cutting Jon any deals. For the "Mystery Wine" offers, sure, and if you are not willing to suffer some indignities, it is best to swear off those "bargains," and just buy things you can research, or really know and already want.

M Mager

#3375 Post by M Mager » March 22nd, 2019, 3:08 pm

RickieM wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 12:49 pm
It seems there are a lot of Rimmerman bashers here in the forum. I bought quite a bit of wine from him several years ago and was overall pleased with my purchases, including the prices. Some I liked more than others but there wasn't anything I'd consider bad or not worth it. He does know how to hype his wines but I wouldn't question his integrity. I just feel some folks go out of their way to criticize him.
I've also bought a decent amount of wine from them over the years. One factor for that is that I'm local in Seattle. Don't have to wait for ship windows/consolidations/etc - just drive down to Tukwila and pick em up. Because of that, I tend to by in very small lot quantities, treating it as a way to conveniently try stuff I might not otherwise sample. Plus, he gets access to a lot of stuff that would otherwise not be visible in the Seattle market (for example, trying to source Huet locally was a real PITA for a few years, but he always had a few offers for the each year).

A few of my "Rimmerman's Offers Rules of Thumb":

1) When you read on offer, mentally discard anything that is not objectively verifiable. He generally doesn't outright lie about anything verifiable - producer name, vintage, variety, etc. Toss all the flowery prose, obscure sensory descriptions, and stories about hermits making their wines in thimble-sized batches crushed by forest nymphs.

2) Don't "fill in the information blanks". He's a master at making vague statements, and then getting readers to make assumptions based on that information. For example, if he says "this wine is Not from producer X", then don't assume that it must be from specific producer Y (who you might want it to be from).

3) The quality of the wine, and value of that wine at his offer price, is generally inversely proportional to the length of his offer e-mail. In other words, as a general rule, the shorter the offer, the better the wine & value. And I think he knows that. For example, he's offered producers like Huet and Boulay at pretty competitive prices. Those offer letters are rarely more than one page (and sometimes barely more than a few sentences). But when he publishes some babbling novel of an offer, where he first talks about other reference producers in the appellation (or the quality of the vintage that year) to soften you up first, and then tells one of those "forest nymph" stories, your skeptic shields should be raised. While it doesn't automatically mean the wine will suck (I'm still glad I bought some Belluard on these offers a while ago), it does mean the hit rate will likely be lower. Really important to separate out the BS on those long offers.

3) I tend to find I've had a higher hit rate on his off-beat and/or value white offers than on the reds.

As always, YMMV.

Michael
Michael

BenjaminL

#3376 Post by BenjaminL » March 22nd, 2019, 3:10 pm

Mark Morrissette wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 11:32 am
BenjaminL wrote:

Well.... At least it was a decent wine. Hopefully you got a good price....

Curious: was the price the same in all three offers, or did he adjust that as well?
Price had been adjusted.
B Leachman

M Mager

#3377 Post by M Mager » March 22nd, 2019, 3:11 pm

Ken Schramm wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 2:59 pm
NoahR wrote:
1) he does not sell wine unless he gets it at a significant discount...
I'm not sure this is universally the case. Rimmerman moves a lot of classified Bordeaux, Prum, Huet, et al. I would be very surprised if any of those cellars are cutting Jon any deals.
Well, at least from my perspective, his Huet prices have been pretty good. Usually lower than I can find it locally in the retail channel. But, then again, Seattle wine pricing tends to suck relative to some other areas of US.

Michael
Michael

BenjaminL

#3378 Post by BenjaminL » March 22nd, 2019, 3:16 pm

M Mager wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 11:57 am
I'm flummoxed by the outrage on this one. Makes me wonder if anyone actually read those three offer e-mails...

First mystery offer was June 2018. After discounting the usual Rimmerman hype and blathering, there isn't anything in that offer that I would say is not true. And, at least to me, $39 for 2015 Fontalloro is a pretty good value.

Second mystery offer was August 2018 (two months later) - and the first sentence of the e-mail begins with "We offered this wine a month or two ago...". Given that this second offer was a mystery one, why would anyone think that the previous offer would not also have been a mystery one? I'd say he was actually being more explicit than he usually is. Price was up $1/bottle. Still good value at $40.

Third mystery offer was December 2018 (4 months later). It's titled "Odds and Ends", and he starts out the e-mail in the first sentence stating that it includes stuff they found they already have in the warehouse. I read that at stuff they probably offered before. And, again, since it's a mystery offer, it would be reasonable to assume it was left-overs from a previous one. Same price as offered in Aug - still a good value.

I've certainly seen plenty of situations where there's legit criticism of their business practices, but I don't see how this one rises to that level... YMMV

Michael
Thanks for the vote of confidence. And the excellent hindsight, I'll have you predict last week's lotto numbers for me. My post was intended to educate others about the risks of the Mystery Wine deal. I guess I buy from Garagiste for variety (been buying from him since 2006 when I saw his offer on Osoyoos Larose). In this case, I got 3 of the same bottles in purchases I though were discreet.
B Leachman

M Mager

#3379 Post by M Mager » March 22nd, 2019, 3:44 pm

BenjaminL wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 3:16 pm
Thanks for the vote of confidence. And the excellent hindsight, I'll have you predict last week's lotto numbers for me. My post was intended to educate others about the risks of the Mystery Wine deal. I guess I buy from Garagiste for variety (been buying from him since 2006 when I saw his offer on Osoyoos Larose). In this case, I got 3 of the same bottles in purchases I though were discreet.
Benjamin,

My post wasn't intended to respond directly to your original post (which is why I didn't quote it). A few of the later posts appeared to imply that there was some sort of business ethics issue (or that he was trying to mislead) with the later offers. When I went back and read them, his offers all seemed to be pretty direct that they were something he offered before.

I get that you are disappointed. And, of course, there are oodles of risks for the mystery wines. But, also, there are way worse things than having a few extra bottles of Fontalloro at sub-$40 price. If you were local to Seattle area, I would be more than glad to take a few of them off your hands at that purchase price.

Does, however, underscore the need to always read those offer e-mails carefully and literally (as I've learned myself the hard way a few times, and noted in my "rules of thumb" above).

Michael
Michael

NoahR

#3380 Post by NoahR » March 22nd, 2019, 4:25 pm

BenjaminL wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 3:16 pm
M Mager wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 11:57 am

Michael
That’s your misreading. Nothing in those offers would have led one to think that these were different wines. You can attempt to blame Rimmerman, whose hyperbole is well known to you, or you can blame your own enthusiasm/naïveté. There is not a person on this thread that is not acutely aware of what Garagiste offers look like, and repeat offerings of wines sellers are trying to clear out with different verbiage is very, very, very commonplace.

Furthermore, basically 80% of what Rimmerman offers is the same from year to year. You’re telling me you haven’t bought Felsina from him before or were surprised that he was marketing tons of Felsina? Have you seen multiple other Chia to wines from him?

Risks of the Mystery Deal? No one here needs more education than the previous 200 posts on this thread. If you still buy them and get disappointed in any way, you’re just like the rest of us! We know what we’re getting into, as do you!
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

Tom W

#3381 Post by Tom W » March 24th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Sean_S wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 11:14 pm
The previous wind gap closeouts have been good. The Syrah was very good and the 2015 pinot I'm drinking now is an excellent wine.
Just curious which Syrah and which Pinot you were referring to? For Wind Gap Syrah, I know Garagiste has offered the Sonoma Coast in at least '09, '14, and '15 vintages. For Pinot Garagiste has offered '13 Sun Chase, '15 Mi-Pente, and '15 Sonoma Coast.
W a r d

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3382 Post by Sean_S » March 24th, 2019, 8:40 pm

14 Syrah and the 15 Sonoma Coast Pinot. The pinot was excellent.
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Summit Rd, Redwood Estates, CA

Adam G

#3383 Post by Adam G » April 13th, 2019, 12:34 pm

Any thoughts on the 2016 Vintage Port mystery?
I’ve stayed out of the Port sweepstakes for several years but today’s subject has me intrigued and it’s set to arrive shortly (it’s not a long-term pre-arrival).

What I can tell you:

• This is the exact same Port, cork, bottle, label and contents as what trades around the nethersphere as I type this.

• It is not easy to find in the US.

• Our subject is produced by a famous individual in the Port trade and the winery is on the rise – it has an exceptional location and terroir.

• There are no major US reviews lower than 90pts (that’s as specific as I can get).

• This Port will age for a number of years but it’s also a candidate to drink and not fret over while you wait for your Noval Nacional to age – a perfect combination of excellent $/quality and relative accessibility so you do not have to wait 30+ years (courtesy of the top 2016 vintage). It is so delicious now, you can almost drink it this year (but try not to)!

• I predict that this Port house will ascend to the top rung in the near future (very near future) – the cards have literally been turned in their favor with a guiding hand that will not be denied. The 2016 will probably be the lowest $ of any vintage going forward but it may ultimately be regarded as one of the most famous Vintage Port campaigns of the last 25-50+ years! That usually bodes well for ascending values...

A top “value” in 2016 Vintage Port!
It has a price level that suggests it might be something like the Barros, which Wine Library was selling for $55. I'm not sufficiently up on Port producers to have a clue as to who may be on the rise.
A. Gr0ssm@n

Bob Hoelting
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3384 Post by Bob Hoelting » April 13th, 2019, 3:38 pm

Wine & Soul Pintas is my only slightly-educated guess.

M Mager

#3385 Post by M Mager » April 27th, 2019, 12:24 pm

For those who are interested in this stuff...

The "Tuscan Surprise" mystery wine offer from Oct 2018 = 2013 Castello di Gabbiano CC Gran Selezione "Bellezza". Seems like a pretty good buy at $20/per.

Michael

Here's an excerpt of the original offer e-mail:

Ok folks, this one is a doozy!

Amid the Rhone frenzy of late, the single largest request for the upcoming Thanksgiving season continues to be Chianti Classico or Tuscan wine in general. Try as I may to steer you toward the Duras, Spain’s Asturias or other, you want Tuscan wine...and lots of it.

As November approaches, I had a sneaking suspicion that would be the case so I set my sights on the acquisition of a few eye-popping situations from Central Tuscany and today is the day to let the cat out of the bag.

Set to arrive in the next few days (possibly this afternoon), may I present what is arguably the biggest laugh of a Chianti Classico offer in quite some time (and I’m not referring to laughable quality).

If you are hemming and hawing over what to pour for your upcoming holiday “full house” of friends, guests and family – look no further. There’s something for every palate preference in this wine - the quality is high, the vintage is grand and the potential appeal is wide and far–reaching.

What I can tell you...

• This is the exact same wine, cork, label and contents as what trades around the globe as I type this.

• It's the top-end Gran Selezione Chianti Classico from a famous Tuscan winery.

• The wine is not from a throw away vintage – it’s the new 2013!

• This is the first time I can ever remember a unanimous (or near unanimous) reception of grandeur for a Chianti Classico (Gran Selezione or not). Every critic (including all the majors – VM, WA, WA, WS) as well as every community note is over 90pts. There isn’t a single review under 90pts from “professionals” or community members that I can find – not one (yes, there are more than 2-3 community notes!). There’s always an outlier somewhere but not with this wine.

• Our $ below is the lowest $ in the world that I can find (and I did a lot of checking). It’s not only the lowest $ on the 2013, but it’s the lowest $ of ANY vintage and it’s arguably the highest quality of any year to date.

• As an example, the lowest $ in Italy that I can find is $45+.

• The lowest $ in ALL OF EUROPE that I can find (and there are a number of them) is $30+.

• Today’s Tuscan Surprise Mystery tariff is...$19+ and our provenance is exceptional/mint.

• I will repeat...$19+ for impeccable provenance!

• This parcel is set to arrive in the next few days (possibly this afternoon) - local pick-up next week guaranteed - no waiting for the holidays.

So...

If you cellar and secure Chianti Classico from the finest producers (and Tuscan wine is your top calling), today’s offer is among the best of the year. I tried to acquire a second parcel at the same $19+ and they laughed in my face – literally (I secured this first lot before several of the reviews were penned) - food for thought.

Ready?

ONE SHIPMENT ONLY at this $.

On your mark, get set...GO!

FIRST COME FIRST SERVED up to 60/person until we run out (5 total cases/person):

2013 Gran Selezione Chianti Classico 750ml (Tuscany) - $19.96
(compare at $30-50+ in Europe)
Michael

Tom W

#3386 Post by Tom W » May 17th, 2019, 11:57 am

Any Oregon Pinotphiles with a guess on today's Mega Super Jackpot Mystery Willamette Pinot Noir offer?

I noticed that in this long missive Rimmerman never once mentions whether he has ever even tasted this wine.

Whatever it is, it must be a very large production wine that hit the wall in retail for some reason, given that per Rimmerman it has already been offered a few times deeply discounted by another large online retailer / deal site.
W a r d

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3387 Post by James Lyon » May 17th, 2019, 12:32 pm

I was removed and I was never added back to the mailing list despite my requests. What are the details of the offer? Probably Scott Paul related.

Tom W

#3388 Post by Tom W » May 17th, 2019, 1:03 pm

Not sure if it's OK to copy/paste the entire missive, but excerpts include "It is not Scott Paul, Panther Creek or any other previously offered entity or previously offered wine." and "We haven’t offered a wine from this winery and/or single vineyard EVER." Rimmerman claims it trades in the "nethersphere" for $50-$60 and that it is a 2008, 2012 or 2014. The main "hint" revolves around the claim that another entity with "millions of subscribers" offered this wine three times at $20, but the "millions" might have been tongue in cheek as it was followed by a semicolon with parenthesis "wink".
W a r d

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3389 Post by James Lyon » May 17th, 2019, 1:19 pm

My revised guess based on your notes is the 2014 WillaKenzie Pierre Leon Pinot Noir. It was offered on WTSO a time or two (I don't know about three times, definitely once) in the last four to five months for $25. It retails for $50. I would imagine that WTSO has a large mailing list. Not sure about millions of subscribers. I bought four bottles back in January. WTSO offered the 2015 Willakenzie Pierre Leon Pinot Noir during the same time period as well.

James

Bryan Carr

#3390 Post by Bryan Carr » May 17th, 2019, 1:47 pm

Could be the 2014 St Innocent Zenith that Full Pull is also currently offering?
CT: the_lovenest

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3391 Post by PeterH » May 17th, 2019, 1:53 pm

I agree the Pierre Leon fits, and the 2016 is listed at $60 retail on the Willakenzie site.
Interesting that wine searcher shows the consensus critic rating at 91, while the cellartracker consensus is 88.1, with a couple of notes indicating secondary fermentation. That can explain the low closeout price.

I'd rather have the St. Innocent, but that wine retails at $42.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Toby P

#3392 Post by Toby P » May 17th, 2019, 2:41 pm

I think decent chance it’s Angela Estate “Abbott Claim” pinot 2014 - Vivino offered it for around $20 back in november and pretty much fits all the other hints (Vivino rating above 4.0, just over 400 reviews for that specific year)
P r a t t

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3393 Post by PeterH » May 17th, 2019, 2:46 pm

I believe that wine is made by Ken Wright, a name that popped into mind as I read Jon's copy. It's a better prospect than the Willakenzie, which hasn't been up to snuff lately.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Mattstolz

#3394 Post by Mattstolz » May 17th, 2019, 3:21 pm

M Mager wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 3:08 pm

3) The quality of the wine, and value of that wine at his offer price, is generally inversely proportional to the length of his offer e-mail. In other words, as a general rule, the shorter the offer, the better the wine & value. And I think he knows that. For example, he's offered producers like Huet and Boulay at pretty competitive prices. Those offer letters are rarely more than one page (and sometimes barely more than a few sentences). But when he publishes some babbling novel of an offer, where he first talks about other reference producers in the appellation (or the quality of the vintage that year) to soften you up first, and then tells one of those "forest nymph" stories, your skeptic shields should be raised. While it doesn't automatically mean the wine will suck (I'm still glad I bought some Belluard on these offers a while ago), it does mean the hit rate will likely be lower. Really important to separate out the BS on those long offers.

3) I tend to find I've had a higher hit rate on his off-beat and/or value white offers than on the reds.

As always, YMMV.

Michael
I think this is definitely the most important thing you pointed out in this whole post. I've definitely noticed that once it gets past a paragraph or two, I should just delete the email cuz its gonna be something not worth reading the whole thing.

the felsina thing I think is silly. he sells a TON of Felsina. I've gotten Rancia from multiple offers. also ended up with multiples and a good price on a really solid wine!

side note: did anyone bite on the il Carnasciale or the Flaccianello? That Fontodi vertical offer was pretty cool. I was kinda hoping he wouldn't sell through all of them and there'd be a mystery offer soon than smelled like Flacc.

Brian Glas

#3395 Post by Brian Glas » May 17th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Bryan Carr wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 1:47 pm
Could be the 2014 St Innocent Zenith that Full Pull is also currently offering?
If it was I would go for a case of that. I doubt if Mark needs to unload that much wine on closeout though. He does have big bills coming due for the construction costs for his new winery.

MattOchs

#3396 Post by MattOchs » May 18th, 2019, 4:47 am

Toby P wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 2:41 pm
I think decent chance it’s Angela Estate “Abbott Claim” pinot 2014 - Vivino offered it for around $20 back in november and pretty much fits all the other hints (Vivino rating above 4.0, just over 400 reviews for that specific year)
Not sure I’m buying any of the guesses so far.

Is Angela Estate as one of the most storied producers in Oregon wine history?

The Willakenzie Pierre Leon only has 135 reviews ... not the 400 we need.

Any chance it’s the 2014 DDO Laurene? I’m probably being too optimistic. Price range is a bit high, but it fits the review count and profile well.

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3397 Post by JDavisRoby » May 18th, 2019, 7:50 am

Did anyone bite on the $12 Bordeaux offer earlier this week?
Joshu@

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3398 Post by James Lyon » May 18th, 2019, 9:43 am

MattOchs wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 4:47 am
Toby P wrote:

Any chance it’s the 2014 DDO Laurene? I’m probably being too optimistic. Price range is a bit high, but it fits the review count and profile well.
So, I would be interested to know where the 2014 DDO Laurene has been offered for $20 on multiple occasions. Sign me up. I doubt that DDO would need to offer closeout pricing on anything to a wide audience.

I had forgot about the 2014 Angela Estate offer on Vivino last year. That is probably the right guess. Ken Wright was the wine maker, so that would kinda match the storied producer angle. I think that the Vivino offer included free shipping, so it was a much better deal than the Garagiste offer unless you can pick up.

MattOchs

#3399 Post by MattOchs » May 18th, 2019, 10:16 am

James Lyon wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 9:43 am
MattOchs wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 4:47 am
Toby P wrote:

So, I would be interested to know where the 2014 DDO Laurene has been offered for $20 on multiple occasions. Sign me up. I doubt that DDO would need to offer closeout pricing on anything to a wide audience.

I had forgot about the 2014 Angela Estate offer on Vivino last year. That is probably the right guess. Ken Wright was the wine maker, so that would kinda match the storied producer angle. I think that the Vivino offer included free shipping, so it was a much better deal than the Garagiste offer unless you can pick up.
I had no idea that Ken Wright was the winemaker. That makes a lot of sense now... I agree with the 2014 Angela Estate call now.

Brian Glas

#3400 Post by Brian Glas » May 18th, 2019, 11:40 am

Agree on the Angela Estate. So when Jon is selling it for $13.97 how much does the winery get for it? $10?

I wonder if wineries are sitting on boatloads of unsold wine? If so we are likely to see more of these closeouts.

Return to “Wine Talk”