The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Tom W

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3301 Post by Tom W » October 3rd, 2018, 6:31 pm

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
October 3rd, 2018, 6:11 pm
RE: 2007 Domaine de Saint Siffrein Châteauneuf-du-Pape

"I've discussed auction values quite a bit lately and this wine is almost certain to increase in value - a lot."
~Jon Rimmerman, 5 November 2009

Purchase cost: $29.99 + sales tax + shipping = $36.18/bottle
Current auction: $29.16

Ah, when I was young and gullible. [snort.gif]
But "the provenance" [haha.gif]
W a r d

Tom W

#3302 Post by Tom W » October 3rd, 2018, 6:32 pm

Tom W wrote:
October 3rd, 2018, 6:31 pm
K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:

"I've discussed auction values quite a bit lately and this wine is almost certain to increase in value - a lot."

Hey, but in all fairness, most auctions carry a hefty buyer's premium and usually you're paying sales tax and shipping. So factoring in the BP maybe you break even with inflation?
W a r d

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3303 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » October 3rd, 2018, 6:51 pm

Tom W wrote:
October 3rd, 2018, 6:32 pm
Tom W wrote:
K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:

Hey, but in all fairness, most auctions carry a hefty buyer's premium and usually you're paying sales tax and shipping. So factoring in the BP maybe you break even with inflation?
But I need to price in the lost time value of money, since I haven't opened a single bottle of the half case I bought. [rofl.gif]

On the positive side, the CT notes seem to be getting better the longer I wait.
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Tom W

#3304 Post by Tom W » October 3rd, 2018, 8:20 pm

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
October 3rd, 2018, 6:51 pm
Tom W wrote:
October 3rd, 2018, 6:32 pm
Tom W wrote:

But I need to price in the lost time value of money, since I haven't opened a single bottle of the half case I bought. [rofl.gif]

On the positive side, the CT notes seem to be getting better the longer I wait.
Hah, yes. But also, I have no idea how reliable that "Wine Market Journal" is, particularly for non-collectible bottles. I've never subscribed and only see that headline number in CT. CT also shows an average value of $32 at this point (which is only the roughest of gauges, especially with wines that age - it is an average of nominal purchase prices across time and with different users using different rules - some including tax, some not, same with shipping; some buying in Europe (and entering euros instead of dollars)) ......Anyway..... wine-searcher.com Pro shows Winebid.com at $35 (plus 17% BP, plus tax, plus shipping). A place in WA has a mag for $131. The price trend shows the price having risen solidly into the $60s in the past year.

You probably did pretty well on this one after the dust settles.

I picked up a few bottles of the '10 of this and thought it was pretty basic in 2015. Current notes in CT are good, but not spectacular. I paid $27 (plus shipping). I think I'd rather have paid $30 for the '07 based on CT notes...
W a r d

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3305 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » October 3rd, 2018, 10:12 pm

Tom W wrote:
October 3rd, 2018, 8:20 pm
The price trend shows the price having risen solidly into the $60s in the past year.

So you are offering me $60 a bottle?

SOLD!!!
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Tom W

#3306 Post by Tom W » October 3rd, 2018, 10:34 pm

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
October 3rd, 2018, 10:12 pm
Tom W wrote:
October 3rd, 2018, 8:20 pm
The price trend shows the price having risen solidly into the $60s in the past year.

So you are offering me $60 a bottle?

SOLD!!!
I don't buy retail. I'm always looking for a bargain. That's why I shop at Garagiste! [headbang.gif]
W a r d

Bill Crites
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3307 Post by Bill Crites » October 9th, 2018, 12:13 pm

For what it is worth, the "Forgettable Red" Napa Valley offer back in June turns out to be 2013 Sterling Vineyards Winemaker's Select Red Blend. The back label stated that the wine is for their wine club. A Wine Club price of $65 for $13.71? We'll see in a couple of weeks after letting the bottle rest after shipment.

Tom W

#3308 Post by Tom W » October 12th, 2018, 5:25 pm

Does the phrase "bottled expressly for you" in the "Fun.Friday #5" 2016 Saint-Siffrein Chateauneuf-du-Pape offer jump out at anyone else?

He also writes that "Now that the “numbers” are coming in, so are the re-order requests" - that would be in reference to the professional reviews. As of now, only one bottle has been consumed from cellartracker.com cellar holdings and only one note has been published, so it seems doubtful anybody has received and consumed any Garagiste bottles from the offer earlier in the year.

Any chance the "bottled expressly for you" Garagiste bottles differ from those available elsewhere in the market? It would be an interesting comparison.
W a r d

Tom W

#3309 Post by Tom W » October 12th, 2018, 6:41 pm

Tom W wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 5:25 pm
Does the phrase "bottled expressly for you" in the "Fun.Friday #5" 2016 Saint-Siffrein Chateauneuf-du-Pape offer jump out at anyone else?

He also writes that "Now that the “numbers” are coming in, so are the re-order requests" - that would be in reference to the professional reviews. As of now, only one bottle has been consumed from cellartracker.com cellar holdings and only one note has been published, so it seems doubtful anybody has received and consumed any Garagiste bottles from the offer earlier in the year.

Any chance the "bottled expressly for you" Garagiste bottles differ from those available elsewhere in the market? It would be an interesting comparison.
Also, w.r.t. "Now that the “numbers” are coming in..." note that the original Garagiste March 2018 offer included a barrel sample review: WA (Joe CZ, October 2017) ... 2017 - 2032. 94pts; the new Oct. 12, 2018 offer has the following: WA (Joe CZ, August 2018) ... 2018 - 2030. 93pts (plus a Jeb review).

So... The WA review is actually a point lower than the original offer, but "the “numbers” are coming in"...

Not that any of us a points chasers, but it's just another example of Rimmerspin.
W a r d

Arv R

#3310 Post by Arv R » October 14th, 2018, 11:22 am

William P wrote:
February 24th, 2017, 6:12 pm
I buy the mystery offers selectively based on curiosity, value hunting, and a bit of gambling; usually in 4 or 6, so I can witness the evolution over time. I understand some people fear blowing their money, but this is a fun hobby for me and I like the adventurous nature of it.

This is my scorecard based on what I personally purchased; I may have missed a couple, but I don't remember any stinkers other than the two listed below. Overall a very good hit rate on QPR, and about a 50% chance of a great buy.

SCORE:
2011 Castello di Ama Chianti Classico Gran Selezione San Lorenzo
2010 C.V.N.E. Rioja Imperial Gran Reserva
2009 Domenico Clerico Barolo Ciabot Mentin
2010 Den Hoed Marie's View Wallula Vineyard
2012 Duckhorn Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Three Palms Vineyard
2000 Il Marroneto Brunello di Montalcino Madonna delle Grazie
2009 Azienda Agricola Le Ragnaie Brunello di Montalcino
2006 Ramey Cabernet Sauvignon Larkmead Vineyard
2010 La Serena di Andrea Mantengoli Brunello di Montalcino
2006 Tabarrini Sagrantino di Montefalco Colle Grimaldesco
2009 Xavier Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Anonyme
2011 Evening Land Vineyards Pinot Noir La Source Seven Springs Vineyard
2009 Boudreaux Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon
2012 Ty Caton TyTanium Caton Vineyard
2004 Nicholas Cole Cellars Camille
2011 La Ca' Nova Barbaresco

Very drinkable, good value:
2010 Paraduxx C Blend
2008 Boudreaux Cellars Merlot
2004 Marqués del Puerto Rioja Gran Reserva
2006 Bodegas Bernabé Navarro Alicante Beryna Selección
2012 Conviction Cabernet Sauvignon
2014 Dolan & Weiss Riesling Carmina Burana
2005 Gamache Vintners Cabernet Sauvignon
2008 Basel Cellars Merriment Pheasant Run Vineyard
2007 Beresan Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Walla Walla Valley
2007 McCrea Syrah Cuvée Orleans
2011 Panther Creek Pinot Noir Reserve
2010 Patton Valley Vineyard Pinot Noir Willamette Valley
2011 Waters Interlude
2010 Ca‘ Rozzeria Barbaresco Neive

Yuck:
Sript & Seal
Frenchman Cabernet

Note on the last two: they were terrible at first, actually drinkable after a couple years of patience, S&S was quite good on the last bottle after 4 years.
I had one of the 2010 Ca'Rozzeria [Barbaresco] last night with left over pizza. I didn't get this via a mystery offer, but it seems like comments about the label on WB are sparse. It's quite light and fresh. Not much fruit for my tastes, but lots of rose petal notes. It's a food wine, with high acidity. I'll have another glass with salmon tonight. Good value and more of a 'lunch' style wine. Any ideas which estate/vineyard this really came from? On the 2nd night, after sitting in the fridge over night, it blossomed. It went well with some fresh Keta salmon, which has a bad rep, but I guess I got lucky with nice non fishy / non mushy pieces, that I seared then roasted. The fruit came through nicely, on the strawberry side I'd say. There is just a light touch of tannin that can be noticed when its drunk by itself. I'm pleasantly surprised with this Rimmerman bottling, and would give it a B+
R_@_0

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3311 Post by PeterH » October 16th, 2018, 1:57 pm

Scott Paul "La Paulee" is back. The 2016 at less than $14ea.
I know a lot of people don't like to throw business Jon's way, but this again is a screaming deal.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Tom W

#3312 Post by Tom W » October 16th, 2018, 2:24 pm

PeterH wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 1:57 pm
Scott Paul "La Paulee" is back. The 2016 at less than $14ea.
I know a lot of people don't like to throw business Jon's way, but this again is a screaming deal.
I remember that at least one of the other vintage's of the La Paulee Garagiste deals a month or two ago were met by similar markdowns at some other retailers - scroll above / back to page 65 or two to see the thread on that. Within that thread, somebody talks about the winemaker changing in 2015, so this 2016 is with that new winemaker, Ian Burch (who then left Scott Paul, but was/is a good winemaker per that same source).

Anyway, with it becoming increasingly well-known that Scott Paul is liquidating, it is just so much harder to swallow Rimmerman's brazen misrepresentation of the situation when he states that "The actual intent of La Paulée at $13+ ...was to give everyone on the Email List a chance to try the Scott Paul wines". No, Jon, the intent is to liquidate inventory. This situation is the OPPOSITE of one in which a winery wishes to get their wine in front of a broad audience for future goodwill and market awareness, as Jon Rimmerman suggests.

2016 is supposed to be great in Willamette, but with that vintage we may well have entered turbulent times at the winery. Was the writing on the wall before this wine was even bottled? Did the winemaker stick around to steward it from harvest to bottle?
W a r d

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3313 Post by PeterH » October 16th, 2018, 2:46 pm

I never read Rimmerman's copy anymore, and totally discount anything he claims. I look at the wine, the price, and then go to other sources for information.
I'm not certain I have tasted the '16 La Paulee, but I have tasted a number of Scott Paul wines made by Ian Burch. I'm quite satisfied with his wine making skills, and also the source material for Scott Paul wines. Ian just left this summer, so he was around up to bottling of the '16s.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Alan Newman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3314 Post by Alan Newman » October 18th, 2018, 1:09 pm

K&L now has the same Wind Gap Pinot for $17:
https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1382723

Guess Garagiste didn't take the entire inventory.

[no connection to anyone]

Jeff Rosenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3315 Post by Jeff Rosenberg » October 18th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Alan Newman wrote:
October 18th, 2018, 1:09 pm
K&L now has the same Wind Gap Pinot for $17:
https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1382723

Guess Garagiste didn't take the entire inventory.

[no connection to anyone]
The Garagiste is selling the 2015 Sonoma Coast Syrah. No?

Alan Newman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3316 Post by Alan Newman » October 18th, 2018, 4:37 pm

Garagiste selling Syrah. K&L now has the Pinot that Garagiste was selling a while ago.

Tom W

#3317 Post by Tom W » October 26th, 2018, 1:23 pm

Anybody know what today's "Tuscan Surprise" might be?
W a r d

Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3318 Post by Mark Morrissette » October 26th, 2018, 2:04 pm

As near as I can tell, this fits every description in his email:
2013 Castello di Gabbiano Chianti Classico Bellezza Gran Selezione

I know it has a 91 from VM, and a 91 from RP (monica). Not sure about the other publications. Everything else matches exactly.

Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3319 Post by Mark Morrissette » October 26th, 2018, 2:08 pm

Note, for example:

"• As an example, the lowest $ in Italy that I can find is $45+.
• The lowest $ in ALL OF EUROPE that I can find (and there are a number of them) is $30+."
CONFIRMED. And... it is for sale in Canada for $23.81 (still more than his price, but....)

"Every critic (including all the majors – VM, WA, WA, WS) as well as every community note is over 90pts. There isn’t a single review under 90pts from “professionals” or community members that I can find – not one (yes, there are more than 2-3 community notes!)"
As noted above, I found two 91s. Not sure about the others. Yes, every note on CT is more than a 90. Yes, there are more than 2-3 note..... There are 4.

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3320 Post by PeterH » October 26th, 2018, 2:19 pm

I don't see the 2013 Castello di Gabbiano Chianti Classico Bellezza reviewed by WS yet.

Jon has offered Casa Emma before. Castello di Ama is too much to hope for at that price.

There are lots of options, and I don't subscribe to all the review publications.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

M a t t W e i n s t e i n

#3321 Post by M a t t W e i n s t e i n » October 26th, 2018, 2:29 pm

I thought it might be the 2013 fonterutoli GS but WS shows a store in Italy at $27. Otherwise it fits the mold.

My money is on Gabbiano Bellezza - almost surely - too upon further investigation.

When JR says "There isn’t a single review under 90pts from “professionals” or community members that I can find – not one (yes, there are more than 2-3 community notes!)" that means there are 4 notes.

And there are 4 notes.

https://www.cellartracker.com/notes.asp ... ource=list

Here is the awards sheet from the Gabbiano site. All 90+. No WS, but JR is not above a typo (2 WA's).

https://www.castellogabbiano.it/wp-cont ... llezza.pdf

Tom W

#3322 Post by Tom W » October 26th, 2018, 2:44 pm

PeterH wrote:
October 26th, 2018, 2:19 pm
I don't see the 2013 Castello di Gabbiano Chianti Classico Bellezza reviewed by WS yet.

Jon has offered Casa Emma before. Castello di Ama is too much to hope for at that price.

There are lots of options, and I don't subscribe to all the review publications.
I do not subscribe to WS, but when I searched for "Castello di Gabbiano" at www.winespectator.com, it included a result for "CASTELLO DI GABBIANO Chianti Classico Riserva 2013". OK, that's not the Gran Selezione, but it indicates WS has tasted and rated the Castello di Gabbiano 2013's. Also, when I go to cellartracker.com (*) for the Bellezza Gran Selezione and click the "Pro Reviews" tab, down at the bottom it reads:

Other users have entered reviews: (more)
Wine Advocate, Wine Spectator

* https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp? ... 76f098a546
W a r d

Tom W

#3323 Post by Tom W » October 26th, 2018, 2:47 pm

Mark Morrissette wrote:
October 26th, 2018, 2:08 pm
Note, for example:

"• As an example, the lowest $ in Italy that I can find is $45+.
• The lowest $ in ALL OF EUROPE that I can find (and there are a number of them) is $30+."
CONFIRMED. And... it is for sale in Canada for $23.81 (still more than his price, but....)

"Every critic (including all the majors – VM, WA, WA, WS) as well as every community note is over 90pts. There isn’t a single review under 90pts from “professionals” or community members that I can find – not one (yes, there are more than 2-3 community notes!)"
As noted above, I found two 91s. Not sure about the others. Yes, every note on CT is more than a 90. Yes, there are more than 2-3 note..... There are 4.
As for the Canadian retail, that's "The Beer Guy". For this wine we see "Brewer: Treasury Wine Estates".

If this label is owned by TWE and it is this mystery wine, then it is more likely than not that Jon received the pitch from TWE corporate rather than him having sniffed out a spectacular deal down the winding roads of sun soaked Tuscany....
W a r d

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3324 Post by Kirk.Grant » October 26th, 2018, 3:15 pm

William P wrote:
February 24th, 2017, 6:12 pm
I buy the mystery offers selectively based on curiosity, value hunting, and a bit of gambling; usually in 4 or 6, so I can witness the evolution over time. I understand some people fear blowing their money, but this is a fun hobby for me and I like the adventurous nature of it.

This is my scorecard based on what I personally purchased; I may have missed a couple, but I don't remember any stinkers other than the two listed below. Overall a very good hit rate on QPR, and about a 50% chance of a great buy.

SCORE:
2011 Castello di Ama Chianti Classico Gran Selezione San Lorenzo
2010 C.V.N.E. Rioja Imperial Gran Reserva
2009 Domenico Clerico Barolo Ciabot Mentin
2010 Den Hoed Marie's View Wallula Vineyard
2012 Duckhorn Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Three Palms Vineyard
2000 Il Marroneto Brunello di Montalcino Madonna delle Grazie
2009 Azienda Agricola Le Ragnaie Brunello di Montalcino
2006 Ramey Cabernet Sauvignon Larkmead Vineyard
2010 La Serena di Andrea Mantengoli Brunello di Montalcino
2006 Tabarrini Sagrantino di Montefalco Colle Grimaldesco
2009 Xavier Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Anonyme
2011 Evening Land Vineyards Pinot Noir La Source Seven Springs Vineyard
2009 Boudreaux Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon
2012 Ty Caton TyTanium Caton Vineyard
2004 Nicholas Cole Cellars Camille
2011 La Ca' Nova Barbaresco

Very drinkable, good value:
2010 Paraduxx C Blend
2008 Boudreaux Cellars Merlot
2004 Marqués del Puerto Rioja Gran Reserva
2006 Bodegas Bernabé Navarro Alicante Beryna Selección
2012 Conviction Cabernet Sauvignon
2014 Dolan & Weiss Riesling Carmina Burana
2005 Gamache Vintners Cabernet Sauvignon
2008 Basel Cellars Merriment Pheasant Run Vineyard
2007 Beresan Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Walla Walla Valley
2007 McCrea Syrah Cuvée Orleans
2011 Panther Creek Pinot Noir Reserve
2010 Patton Valley Vineyard Pinot Noir Willamette Valley
2011 Waters Interlude
2010 Ca‘ Rozzeria Barbaresco Neive

Yuck:
Sript & Seal
Frenchman Cabernet

Note on the last two: they were terrible at first, actually drinkable after a couple years of patience, S&S was quite good on the last bottle after 4 years.

When I look over this list, there's wine here...but VERY few I'd be interested in. This list perfectly describes why I don't like "mystery" packs. But who knows? Maybe someone will change the "game" and start making them with wines that are hard to find, allocated, and offer value.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3325 Post by Ethan Abraham » November 1st, 2018, 11:48 am

Couple good mystery pickups recently:
2014 Barbaresco Single Vineyard and "Mystery Single VIneyard" were both, as expected, from La Ca Nova. For $30, great reviews from AG, glad I bought.
The California Hermitage for $20 was PAX The Hermit. Seems like a good pickup as well.

Toby P

#3326 Post by Toby P » November 9th, 2018, 9:21 am

Any guesses on the Washington Bordeaux Blend mystery? Was initially hoping Delille D2 but the $25-30 referenced price point is a bit too low (ditto for a couple other Washington state blends that seemed to fit)
P r a t t

M Mager

#3327 Post by M Mager » November 9th, 2018, 11:46 am

Toby P wrote:
November 9th, 2018, 9:21 am
Any guesses on the Washington Bordeaux Blend mystery? Was initially hoping Delille D2 but the $25-30 referenced price point is a bit too low (ditto for a couple other Washington state blends that seemed to fit)
If forced to guess, based on previous history, I would go with Waters. They seem to be the most frequent WA Bdx mystery wines...
Michael

Toby P

#3328 Post by Toby P » November 9th, 2018, 12:14 pm

that does look like a good fit...thanks!
P r a t t

Mattstolz

#3329 Post by Mattstolz » November 27th, 2018, 4:48 pm

Report on a couple mysteries I just received today:
6/20/18 "2015 Tuscan Mystery" was 2015 Felsina Rancia
3/5/18 "Mystery Brunello" was 2012 Il Poggione Brunello

this one has already been discussed a little bit but the 4/25 Mystery 2013 Napa is a BV Cab Maestro "Limited Release". I'm curious if anyone else has tried this yet? Doesn't look like there's any CT notes on it yet.

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#3330 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » November 27th, 2018, 4:49 pm

Matt- how much was the 2012 Il Poggione? I bought that elsewhere and it's terrific.

Mattstolz

#3331 Post by Mattstolz » November 27th, 2018, 6:05 pm

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 4:49 pm
Matt- how much was the 2012 Il Poggione? I bought that elsewhere and it's terrific.
$39.80. seemed like I got a pretty solid deal on both of these Italian mysteries.

Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3332 Post by Mark Morrissette » November 28th, 2018, 12:29 pm

Mattstolz wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 4:48 pm
Report on a couple mysteries I just received today:
6/20/18 "2015 Tuscan Mystery" was 2015 Felsina Rancia
3/5/18 "Mystery Brunello" was 2012 Il Poggione Brunello

this one has already been discussed a little bit but the 4/25 Mystery 2013 Napa is a BV Cab Maestro "Limited Release". I'm curious if anyone else has tried this yet? Doesn't look like there's any CT notes on it yet.
Nice pickup on both. Great wines. Those are two wines I always wish my Mystery wines would turn out to be, but I always seem it wrong! Curious to know how much both were?

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#3333 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » November 28th, 2018, 2:26 pm

Mattstolz wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 6:05 pm
Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 4:49 pm
$39.80. seemed like I got a pretty solid deal on both of these Italian mysteries.
Yep - you did really well!

Mattstolz

#3334 Post by Mattstolz » November 28th, 2018, 4:18 pm

Mark Morrissette wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 12:29 pm

Nice pickup on both. Great wines. Those are two wines I always wish my Mystery wines would turn out to be, but I always seem it wrong! Curious to know how much both were?
the Rancia was 38.71 and the Il Poggione was 39.80. great prices for them both IMO. I took a chance on the Tuscan mystery hoping it'd be the Rancia because the price seemed about right and normally for Tuscan mysteries he specifically mentions that its "not Felsina or Il Carbonaione!" but he didn't mention Felsina specifically in this one's writeup.

Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3335 Post by Mark Morrissette » November 28th, 2018, 6:09 pm

Mattstolz wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 4:18 pm
Mark Morrissette wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 12:29 pm

the Rancia was 38.71 and the Il Poggione was 39.80. great prices for them both IMO. I took a chance on the Tuscan mystery hoping it'd be the Rancia because the price seemed about right and normally for Tuscan mysteries he specifically mentions that its "not Felsina or Il Carbonaione!" but he didn't mention Felsina specifically in this one's writeup.
Wow, well done! Both are great, but especially the Rancia. Those Mystery wines are not always home runs, but looks like you got a couple here!

M Mager

#3336 Post by M Mager » December 15th, 2018, 4:20 pm

The "2016 Chianti Classico" mystery offer from 2018-11-09 is the 2016 Felsina Chianti Classico (at $13.82/per). I have no issues with that deal.

Michael
Michael

M Mager

#3337 Post by M Mager » December 15th, 2018, 4:22 pm

And the "Mystery Holiday Send-off Rose" offer from 2018-11-21 is the 2017 Lioco Indica rose (at $9.98/per). I'm fine with that deal, too.

Michael
Michael

Peter Shurman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3338 Post by Peter Shurman » December 15th, 2018, 5:00 pm

seems that some berserkers like to bash the owner in this thread ... I'd like to offer kudos to the owner as shipping a case via ground from WA to NY costs $35.56
if Rimmermann can ship for that amount, why can't others?

[cheers.gif]
Last edited by Peter Shurman on December 17th, 2018, 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
keeping those ITB in business

Tom W

#3339 Post by Tom W » December 15th, 2018, 5:52 pm

Peter Shurman wrote:
December 15th, 2018, 5:00 pm
seems that some berserkers like to bash the owner in this thread ... I'd like to offer kudos to the owner as shipping a case via ground from WA to NY costs $35.56
if Rimmermann can ship for that amount, why can others?

[cheers.gif]
He does a lot of volume and ships in batches. If you buy from most online retailers, the deal is that they ship as soon as you buy or, if it includes pre-arrival, when all wines are available. So they do less volume overall and have small pickups. Garagiste can probably contract with a local company to truck large batches to a nearby FedEx regional hub. Few retailers have the ability to do that. Also, with such scale and no need to invest in retail meaningfully, Garagiste can invest in pick, pack, and ship technology.

(Oh, one other thing, most retailers with physical stores pay knowledgeable customer-facing staff decently and then that labor ends up getting used partially to pick, pack, and ship. In a warehouse like Garagistes, they can potentially employ very cheap labor. Compare the cost of employing people who need to be the face of your company with your customers vs. one that can get potentially undocumented people via a temp agency who would be terrified of losing the job regardless of low pay. I don't know if that's Garagiste, but it's a fact, Jack.)
W a r d

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3340 Post by PeterH » December 15th, 2018, 6:07 pm

Tom,

The Garagiste warehouse in an industrial/distribution/office park south of Seattle. There is no cheap labor in this area. The staff there is competent and undoubtedly legal.
I don't know what Garagiste pays, but the going rate for that kind of work is at least $20/hr., and it is hard to find qualified and efficient workers period. I think the secret of Jon's success is the nearly zero promotional costs. E-mail blasts are all he needs to sell out of most new inventory, usually before he even takes delivery.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Tom W

#3341 Post by Tom W » December 15th, 2018, 6:25 pm

PeterH wrote:
December 15th, 2018, 6:07 pm
Tom,

The Garagiste warehouse in an industrial/distribution/office park south of Seattle. There is no cheap labor in this area. The staff there is competent and undoubtedly legal.
I don't know what Garagiste pays, but the going rate for that kind of work is at least $20/hr., and it is hard to find qualified and efficient workers period. I think the secret of Jon's success is the nearly zero promotional costs. E-mail blasts are all he needs to sell out of most new inventory, usually before he even takes delivery.
I agree he's got a great cash cycle - people pay for their wine before he pays for the wine that they bought. But that and low promotional expense explains the wine price, not the shipping.

Perhaps it's part of the pricing model, actually. Most retailers price based on their brick and mortal operating expenses. They have one price - it is the same for someone who walks into the shop and someone who orders online or by telephone. So the bottle price includes the real estate and everything else related to running a high touch retail environment - every customer pays that. If they need to ship it to you, then you need to pay for all of the *additional* handling, picking, and packing, and then, of course, paying the 3rd party shipping company - all that extra expense above and beyond walking into the store. But for Garagiste, all of the handling, etc. costs are priced into the bottle price from the beginning since Garagiste only sells online. Thus, the additional charge for shipping is equal to the amount they pay to the 3rd party shipping company. That really probably does explain a lot w.r.t low shipping costs.
W a r d

Arv R

#3342 Post by Arv R » December 16th, 2018, 9:28 pm

M Mager wrote:
December 15th, 2018, 4:20 pm
The "2016 Chianti Classico" mystery offer from 2018-11-09 is the 2016 Felsina Chianti Classico (at $13.82/per). I have no issues with that deal.

Michael
wow, great price. its $20 locally.
R_@_0

Corey N.

#3343 Post by Corey N. » December 17th, 2018, 5:28 am

Arv R wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 9:28 pm
M Mager wrote:

Michael
It’s less of a great deal when you factor in shipping. It’s not that his shipping costs are too high, but after you add in the cost you’re saving $3/bottle or about 15%. Is that enough to gamble on buying a wine you won’t like? Not for me.
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

Arv R

#3344 Post by Arv R » December 17th, 2018, 9:51 pm

Corey N. wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 5:28 am
Arv R wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 9:28 pm
M Mager wrote:

Michael
It’s less of a great deal when you factor in shipping. It’s not that his shipping costs are too high, but after you add in the cost you’re saving $3/bottle or about 15%. Is that enough to gamble on buying a wine you won’t like? Not for me.
fair points, but nowadays I tend to get with shipping and sales tax on my purchases anyways (so that $20 bottle becomes $24ish). my (family) wine mules are tired of me imposing on them!
R_@_0

Sean McK

#3345 Post by Sean McK » December 20th, 2018, 6:20 pm

Hi all -- Does anyone know the origin of the Garagiste Starfire offers? I'm new enough to the listserv (and perhaps not knowledgeable enough about all the Washington producers) to not be able to suss out where the wine is likely from. Does anyone know or have some educated guesses?
Last edited by Sean McK on December 20th, 2018, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K e e

Sean McK

#3346 Post by Sean McK » December 20th, 2018, 6:25 pm

For anyone interested, the 2015 Ca Rozzeria Chianti Classico was from Casa Emma.
K e e

Tom W

#3347 Post by Tom W » December 20th, 2018, 7:01 pm

Sean McK wrote:
December 20th, 2018, 6:25 pm
For anyone interested, the 2015 Ca Rozzeria Chianti Classico was from Casa Emma.
Thanks, from wine-searcher and CT community average, it looks like stateside for the CC is usually $20+
W a r d

Adam G

#3348 Post by Adam G » December 20th, 2018, 7:17 pm

Sean McK wrote:
How did you figure that out? I've tried for the Barolos with no luck.
A. Gr0ssm@n

Sean McK

#3349 Post by Sean McK » December 20th, 2018, 8:51 pm

Adam G wrote:
December 20th, 2018, 7:17 pm
Sean McK wrote:
How did you figure that out? I've tried for the Barolos with no luck.
I'm just really smart!

Just kidding, there was a Casa Emma cork in it. :)
K e e

Sean McK

#3350 Post by Sean McK » December 20th, 2018, 8:52 pm

Tom W wrote:
December 20th, 2018, 7:01 pm
Sean McK wrote:
Thanks, from wine-searcher and CT community average, it looks like stateside for the CC is usually $20+
Yeah, it was quite nice. Aging potential too -- a good deal IMO.
K e e

Return to “Wine Talk”