The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Adam G

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#4351 Post by Adam G »

Andrew Hall wrote: June 24th, 2021, 4:15 am
G. Greenbaum wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 9:37 am

I got this as well. I noticed CT updated the wine to 2015 Castello Romitorio Brunello di Montalcino. I'm confused....
You entered this Mystery wine on the wrong entry. The one that was revealed as Romitorio was offer in late 2019.

The 12/23 one is here : https://www.cellartracker.com/wineadmin ... ne=3851662 (Not updated yet.)
Wait, what? You enter mystery wines directly in CT and then they get updated when somebody tells Andrew what the wine actually is?
A. Gr0ssm@n

Andrew Hall

#4352 Post by Andrew Hall »

Adam G wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 5:07 pm
G. Greenbaum wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 9:37 am

I got this as well. I noticed CT updated the wine to 2015 Castello Romitorio Brunello di Montalcino. I'm confused....
You entered this Mystery wine on the wrong entry. The one that was revealed as Romitorio was offer in late 2019.

The 12/23 one is here : https://www.cellartracker.com/wineadmin ... ne=3851662 (Not updated yet.)
Wait, what? You enter mystery wines directly in CT and then they get updated when somebody tells Andrew what the wine actually is?
A lot of users do. I run an update if someone submits an edit or tells me. I don't proactively keep up.
Andrew Hall (itb)

andrew @ cellartracker dot com

Nate Rulis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4353 Post by Nate Rulis »

Anybody pick up any of the mystery syrahs from the last couple of months:
  • 4/30: 2016 Washington State Syrah Mystery;
  • 5/18 Les Collines Syrah Mystery; and
  • 6/11: 2016 Syrah Mystery (USA).
From what I could tell on CT, it looked like the 2016 Washington Syrah might be 2016 Result of a Crush. Can anyone confirm/deny? And any experience with that wine?
Nate Rulis

Steven Canning

#4354 Post by Steven Canning »

nrulis wrote: July 12th, 2021, 4:19 pm Anybody pick up any of the mystery syrahs from the last couple of months:

4/30: 2016 Washington State Syrah Mystery

From what I could tell on CT, it looked like the 2016 Washington Syrah might be 2016 Result of a Crush. Can anyone confirm/deny? And any experience with that wine?
It was the 2016 Bergevin Lane Syrah She-Devil. Have not tried it yet.

Josh McCarthy
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4355 Post by Josh McCarthy »

Steven Canning wrote: July 12th, 2021, 5:43 pm
nrulis wrote: July 12th, 2021, 4:19 pm Anybody pick up any of the mystery syrahs from the last couple of months:

4/30: 2016 Washington State Syrah Mystery

It was the 2016 Bergevin Lane Syrah She-Devil. Have not tried it yet.
The Bergevin Lane is a solid weekday wine. I don't love their wines, as they vary wildly from year to year and wine to wine. This could use some acidity, but, this was a good wine for what it is.
Nerdy techie turned Winemaker
WA -> MI -> Napa -> Sonoma
Syrah and Pinot make my world go 'round. The funkier, the better.

G. Singh

#4356 Post by G. Singh »

What do you guys think of the current offer of 2014 Grevino Estate Pinot?
G u r k i r p a l

JimV

#4357 Post by JimV »

G. Singh wrote: July 13th, 2021, 2:58 pm What do you guys think of the current offer of 2014 Grevino Estate Pinot?
I bit for a few. I'm typically not all that enamored with Cal Pinots, and may well not care for this one either, but if I try one and don't like it, the others can be opened for larger non-wine groups or given to my kids. Given what I know of Grevino's track record, I really doubt that this is a bad wine, and given the price, seems like very little risk.
Jim Verlautz--Minneapolis

Juliec
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4358 Post by Juliec »

Anyone have success in reaching Garagiste? I have called and emailed both the main email, the main and non-800 number and Nicki directly no one has ever called me back or emailed on my orders. Their site doesn’t seem to have a way to ship something that has finally arrived. Any community tips would be appreciated. Maybe they are closed due to COVID, but this has been months and also emails and calls today. Per this experience, I don’t think I would do business with a company that is impossible to get a hold off and yes, I am called during PST hours.
hong

D@ve D y r 0 f f
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4359 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

Nicki is long gone, they just keep her name on the offer e-mails out of nostalgia.

I've never tried any other method, but I've always had success getting an answer within a day or three by e-mailing support at garagistewine dot com.

Tom W

#4360 Post by Tom W »

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote: July 16th, 2021, 9:28 am Nicki is long gone, they just keep her name on the offer e-mails out of nostalgia.

I've never tried any other method, but I've always had success getting an answer within a day or three by e-mailing support at garagistewine dot com.
Ditto. I've had shipment issues in the past, some of them vexing, but I've never had a problem getting replies promptly via email.
W a r d

JMReuter
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4361 Post by JMReuter »

Juliec wrote: July 16th, 2021, 9:23 am Anyone have success in reaching Garagiste? I have called and emailed both the main email, the main and non-800 number and Nicki directly no one has ever called me back or emailed on my orders. Their site doesn’t seem to have a way to ship something that has finally arrived. Any community tips would be appreciated. Maybe they are closed due to COVID, but this has been months and also emails and calls today. Per this experience, I don’t think I would do business with a company that is impossible to get a hold off and yes, I am called during PST hours.
I agree with Dave and Tom. The time between ordering a wine from Garagiste and receiving it can vary widely. However, I have always found them good about replying to email. My last email exchange with them was via friends@garagistewine.com. You might try that email address if you haven't already.
J o n @ t h @ n R 3 u t 3 r

Vince L.

#4362 Post by Vince L. »

Juliec wrote: July 16th, 2021, 9:23 am Anyone have success in reaching Garagiste? I have called and emailed both the main email, the main and non-800 number and Nicki directly no one has ever called me back or emailed on my orders. Their site doesn’t seem to have a way to ship something that has finally arrived. Any community tips would be appreciated. Maybe they are closed due to COVID, but this has been months and also emails and calls today. Per this experience, I don’t think I would do business with a company that is impossible to get a hold off and yes, I am called during PST hours.
If you're trying to get something shipped try this.

http://garagiste.showit.site/shipping-central

There you'll find a link to Custom Ship Date (Cowbow)
https://garagiste.wufoo.com/forms/z1a9qh100395mr0/

That worked for me as I had a case shipped at the End of May.
l 3 r t

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4363 Post by HoosJustinG »

I’ve never actually gotten shipments sent automatically (even in colder months), but I’ve also not had a problem telling them to “cowboy” ship. I think it’s just a quirk, but unlike other “quirks” (thinking of Premier Cru thread), they actually *do* send the wine when you ask them without any real delay or excuses, etc.
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

Adam G

#4364 Post by Adam G »

Andrew Hall wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 7:10 pm
Adam G wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 5:07 pm

A lot of users do. I run an update if someone submits an edit or tells me. I don't proactively keep up.
Well, I'm pretty good at asking you to make changes when they're needed, so that's no problem. It sounds easier to do it this way than to wait for arrival. Then I also wouldn't think I've purchased less than I really have! So people just enter "Garagiste" for producer and "Mystery Wine #xxx" for the wine?
A. Gr0ssm@n

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4365 Post by TGigante »

If you email the info@ email, they usually shoot back and auto email with cowboy shipping options

You can pick a date and ship what has already heen received. They usually only auto ship full cases 2x per year. Outside of that you have to arrange cowboy shipping
Cheers,
Tony

Cgomezmoreno

#4366 Post by Cgomezmoreno »

I’ve never had any problem reaching them using the support AT garagistewine address. They’re normally super quick. And I’m on their “complicated shipping” list if they have one, being in South Florida. They’ve always been super accommodating and made great suggestions. I successfully shipped a number of cases when I thought the window would have been closed because of the heat. But it was fine with their refrigerated shipping all the way to their forward partner and then me picking up from UPS instead of waiting for the truck to make their route to my house.
Alyson is great and made the suggestion!
Carlos

Juliec
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4367 Post by Juliec »

Thanks cgm. YMMV. I was clearly in the 1% of people with issues contacting them. Again, if I hadn’t used 3 different emails and two different phone numbers on 3 different occasions over about 9 months, then I wouldn’t have posted. I have a pretty decent exposure to contacting all different retailers locally and nationally, email and otherwise, usually the phone call always works, but not this time. I purchased once or twice with Garagiste and didn’t get anywhere close to a case - it’s a new business model to me. (Once I didn’t get the wines, I moved on, but I was trying to determine how to get the wine that I already paid for over 10 months ago. Thanks everyone for your help.
hong

Richard Foxall

#4368 Post by Richard Foxall »

I see the mystery Brunello that was offered, then pulled, then re-offered (the second time without stating vintage) has landed. The offer that went through was posted 4/20/2021. So has anyone picked it up in the Seattle area? I bit for three at a price above what I would usually spend on a mystery wine (about $50), interested to know if it was a JS/Luca Maroni high scorer, or maybe something that winds up being an actual deal at that price.
"We don't have a drinking problem, we have a buying problem." -R. Pavlovich

Josh McCarthy
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4369 Post by Josh McCarthy »

• 4/30: 2016 Washington State Syrah Mystery;
  • 5/18 Les Collines Syrah Mystery; and
  • 6/11: 2016 Syrah Mystery (USA).
Did anyone pick up their 5/18 Les Collines Mystery?

Sean McK

#4370 Post by Sean McK »

Mystery wines:
5/18 Les Collines -- 2016 Thomas Gerrie Less Collines Syrah
2/10 2016 Brunello di Montalcino -- Verbena
2/4 Bordeaux Palooza -- 2017 Croix St Christophe St Emilion GC
11/12 Barbera d'Alba Mystery -- 2018 Schiavenza B d'A
K e e

Richard Foxall

#4371 Post by Richard Foxall »

Bumping this because more Mystery Wines have arrived. Here are two Brunellos whose identities still have not been revealed--anyone in the Seattle area with orders who wants to pick up and check?
Brunello What? (Offer 5/12/2021, price $19.98, arrived today, 8/3...)
Brunello Mystery (Offer 4/20/2021, price $49.96, this is the one that was pulled and re-offered, 97 points from someone... I would think someone would have jumped on it.)

Anyone picked either one up?

Carter Pelham

#4372 Post by Carter Pelham »

Mystery wine today - Tuscan 2016...email said they offered back in 2020 (before I signed up)...anyone know what this is?

D@ve D y r 0 f f
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4373 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

Per the search results I just got when I searched this forum, it’s 2016 Fontalloro with a price increase (39.91 the first time).

ChrisL
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4374 Post by ChrisL »

Yea it’s ‘16 Fontalloro for $10 more expensive. I bought last years and for $40 thought it was a good deal, at $50 I’ll pass.
Ludg@te

G. Greenbaum

#4375 Post by G. Greenbaum »

Richard Foxall wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 10:42 am Bumping this because more Mystery Wines have arrived. Here are two Brunellos whose identities still have not been revealed--anyone in the Seattle area with orders who wants to pick up and check?
Brunello What? (Offer 5/12/2021, price $19.98, arrived today, 8/3...)
Brunello Mystery (Offer 4/20/2021, price $49.96, this is the one that was pulled and re-offered, 97 points from someone... I would think someone would have jumped on it.)

Anyone picked either one up?
Another arrival: Adieu 2020 – Brunello Together Mystery (2015 Brunello di Montalcino Mystery ) 12/23/2020 $19.98
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4376 Post by PeterH »

Wilde Farm Halcon Syrah is up now at half the $40 suggested retail. Sometimes Jon hits a winner that is no mystery.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Luca Giupponi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4377 Post by Luca Giupponi »

PeterH wrote: August 10th, 2021, 4:08 pm Wilde Farm Halcon Syrah is up now at half the $40 suggested retail. Sometimes Jon hits a winner that is no mystery.
Basically BD pricing with slightly more expensive shipping. I had kicked myself for overlooking this offer on BD so I jumped on today’s offer.

Eric W
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4378 Post by Eric W »

Brunello mysteries:

4/20/21 - Brunello di Montalcino Mystery = 2015 Poggio Antico Altero Brunello di Montalcino = $49.96 ("at least 97pts", organic/non-cert)
* CT community average value = $73.93. Lowest winesearcher $ = $59.94
* JS97, VM91+ (Ian D'Agata preferred Poggio Antico's "classico" Brunello at about $10 less, which he rated 94+)

12/23/20 - Adieu 2020 - Brunello Together Mystery = 2015 La Palazzetta Brunello di Montalcino = $19.98 (organic, "at least 93pts from multiple critics")
* CT community average value = $36.63. Lowest winesearcher $ = $41.60
* WA93, JS93, Tim Heaton "recommended", WE89

12/16/20 - 2016 Brunello Mystery = 2016 Le Ragnaie Brunello di Montalcino = $48.70 ("lots of points from lots of folks")
* CT community average value = $66.96. Lowest winesearcher $ = $64.98
* WS96, JS94, JD94, WA94, VM94 (Eric Guido)

2/10/21 - 2016 Brunello D.E.A.R. Mystery = 2016 Verbena Brunello di Montalcino = $28.76 ("somewhere in the 95-98pt range")
* CT community average value = $30.48. Lowest winesearcher $ = $33.28
* JS96
E _ W i 1 s o n

D@ve D y r 0 f f
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4379 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

Thanks, Eric. I went for the Palazzetta at $20 and with a Tim Heaton "recommended," I'm happy with that.

I went for the Ragnaie hoping maybe it might be the Il Poggione given Garagiste offers of that one in the past, but I only ordered one. I probably would have passed on Ragnaie at that price, but I'd call the disappointment rather mild. Still a very nice wine and still cheaper than elsewhere.

Didn't bite on the others. I appreciate the heads up!

jhoofard

#4380 Post by jhoofard »

I see the 11/29/20 Mystery 18 Willamette valley pinot arrived. Any picked theirs up yet?

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4381 Post by Rodrigo B »

jhoofard wrote: August 20th, 2021, 8:45 pm I see the 11/29/20 Mystery 18 Willamette valley pinot arrived. Any picked theirs up yet?
It was 2019 J. Albin Pinot Noir Lorelle Willamette Valley
B r @ g @

CT: rcb25
IG: r.c.b.25

Josh McCarthy
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4382 Post by Josh McCarthy »

Did anyone find out what the July 23rd "How Can This Be?" PN offer was?

I was happy with the Ken Wright mystery and so I was hoping to score something else fun, as I love my OR PN. I bought lots of different new-to-me brands during BD and haven't been disappointed. I've never been a huge KW fan, as they're not what I want from OR PN but it was fun to taste through a really good horizontal and compare to previous notes. Hoping this offer isn't just more of the same or someone who crafts their wines in his style....

Bob Hoelting
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4383 Post by Bob Hoelting »

I would love to get any leads on the July 6 Pinot mystery

MKEGK

#4384 Post by MKEGK »

Any leads on the October 23, 2020 and June 19, 2021 Brunello mystery offers?

Richard Foxall

#4385 Post by Richard Foxall »

Thanks to Eric W who posted many of the Brunello mysteries, but I'm still waiting to hear what the Brunello WHAT? ($20-ish, 5/12/2021) was. Garagiste shows it has arrived. Anyone?

Today's mystery WV PN was far too vague for me to venture any kind of guess, but maybe someone else spotted one of the Garagiste elves tasting in the region recently and enjoying a $26 dollar red? The price seemed right for filling out a case (my fourth due for shipping this fall, JFC what am I doing?), so I bit. I know someone I can always offload WV PN on, so low risk.

J. Schenck

#4386 Post by J. Schenck »

oh crap, champagne.
Justin S.

Dan Sch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4387 Post by Dan Sch »

Josh McCarthy wrote: August 21st, 2021, 9:15 pm Did anyone find out what the July 23rd "How Can This Be?" PN offer was?
Anyone pick this up yet? Considering shipping a case soon and whether or not to include this! Thanks
Dan Schoeff

Dan Sch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4388 Post by Dan Sch »

Josh McCarthy wrote: August 21st, 2021, 9:15 pm Did anyone find out what the July 23rd "How Can This Be?" PN offer was?
Anyone pick this up yet? Considering shipping a case soon and whether or not to include this! Thanks
Dan Schoeff

Nate Rulis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4389 Post by Nate Rulis »

If anybody picks up any of the Brunello mystery wines from Saturday's offer, I'd love to hear what they are. Curious to hear if these are a recycle on some of the prior Brunello mysteries.
Nate Rulis

ChrisW

#4390 Post by ChrisW »

Thoughts on Labor Day special #4? Not many Brunelli that fit that case production figure.
<@rv@n@

D@ve D y r 0 f f
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4391 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

ChrisW wrote: September 5th, 2021, 8:44 am Thoughts on Labor Day special #4? Not many Brunelli that fit that case production figure.
That's the only real clue, given that the 96 point clue (assuming that means that at least one critic - any critic including JS - gave it that score ) narrows it down to about 78 possibilities. [wink.gif]

But I'm trying to resist. I've loaded up on known 2016 Brunello and $40 isn't enough to entice me to take a flyer on an unknown. Now, if it were $30, I'm not sure my willpower would hold...

Although now that I'm typing this, this story reminds me of another offer I received recently (tiny production, hardly ever exported, finally got some, etc.) and passed on. I wish I could remember the merchant or the producer. I wonder if it's that same wine. The offer would have come from one of the retailers whose list I'm on - Envoyer, K&L, Lopa, a few others.

Richard Foxall

#4392 Post by Richard Foxall »

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote: September 5th, 2021, 8:57 am
But I'm trying to resist. I've loaded up on known 2016 Brunello and $40 isn't enough to entice me to take a flyer on an unknown. Now, if it were $30, I'm not sure my willpower would hold...
I know that feeling. Certain wines like BdM, Barolo/Barbaresco, that $30 price is like a baited hook for me.

Abbie S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4393 Post by Abbie S. »

What's the longest you've had to wait for bottles to come in? An order I placed 12/14/20 is still showing as pre-arrival.
IG abbieroads

salovon

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4394 Post by TGigante »

Abbie S. wrote: September 6th, 2021, 7:07 am What's the longest you've had to wait for bottles to come in? An order I placed 12/14/20 is still showing as pre-arrival.
9 months doesn't seem like a long time. It's up to your own personal tolerance and how long you want to wait for a particular wine. If it gets too long you could ask for a refund.

I had one bottle that was on pre-arrival status for 3 years. When I questioned them about if it was ever coming in, they said the winery had sent some of the wrong vintage and weren't sure if they would be able to replace it with the correct vintage. The offered me the other vintage, a refund or keep waiting. I took the other vintage.

friends@garagistewine.com is your friend. To me their customer service has always been attentive.

Good luck
Cheers,
Tony

Abbie S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4395 Post by Abbie S. »

TGigante wrote: September 6th, 2021, 9:09 am
Abbie S. wrote: September 6th, 2021, 7:07 am What's the longest you've had to wait for bottles to come in? An order I placed 12/14/20 is still showing as pre-arrival.
9 months doesn't seem like a long time. It's up to your own personal tolerance and how long you want to wait for a particular wine. If it gets too long you could ask for a refund.

I had one bottle that was on pre-arrival status for 3 years. When I questioned them about if it was ever coming in, they said the winery had sent some of the wrong vintage and weren't sure if they would be able to replace it with the correct vintage. The offered me the other vintage, a refund or keep waiting. I took the other vintage.

friends@garagistewine.com is your friend. To me their customer service has always been attentive.

Good luck
Thanks. I haven't been ordering from them for very long, so I wasn't sure if this was normal. It's whiskey, not wine. :)
IG abbieroads

salovon

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4396 Post by TGigante »

Abbie S. wrote: September 6th, 2021, 9:44 am

Good luck
Thanks. I haven't been ordering from them for very long, so I wasn't sure if this was normal. It's whiskey, not wine. :)
A. Roborel de Climens

I ordered it as well. I got the Sauternes barrel version. Still shows pending for me too
Cheers,
Tony

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4397 Post by Arv R »

Good luck
I had a similar problem maybe 15 years ago - ordered a 74 Chappellet Cab and it just hung in limbo. When I got in touch with them it seems like they had actually been sent either the 77 or 78. Ended up having that sent out to me in any case. The wine was only 'ok' as I think the winemaker Phillip Togni had left by then.
R_@_0
https://dilbert.com/strip/1991-12-08

Abbie S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4398 Post by Abbie S. »

TGigante wrote: September 6th, 2021, 9:57 am
Abbie S. wrote: September 6th, 2021, 9:44 am

Good luck
A. Roborel de Climens

I ordered it as well. I got the Sauternes barrel version. Still shows pending for me too
Yes! I also got the Sauternes, as well as the Sauv Blanc.
IG abbieroads

salovon

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4399 Post by TGigante »

Arv R wrote: September 6th, 2021, 9:58 am

Good luck
I had a similar problem maybe 15 years ago - ordered a 74 Chappellet Cab and it just hung in limbo. When I got in touch with them it seems like they had actually been sent either the 77 or 78. Ended up having that sent out to me in any case. The wine was only 'ok' as I think the winemaker Phillip Togni had left by then.
Here is the bottle they sent
Something I wanted to try that is not readily available. Drank nicely without all the VOC normally associated with Cornelissen. The Susucaru was a different story all together. More on the vinegar side of rose.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
Tony

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4400 Post by Arv R »

maybe Alice Feiring will assign you some vinous piety points for drinking that
R_@_0
https://dilbert.com/strip/1991-12-08

Return to “Wine Talk”