The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Tom W

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#4201 Post by Tom W »

JonathanG wrote: March 28th, 2021, 3:02 pm
TGigante wrote: March 27th, 2021, 9:14 pm
JonathanG wrote: March 27th, 2021, 8:02 pm I bought a few mystery wines last Nov, generally how long does it take for them to ship?
They only ship full case quantities. They have 2 annual shipping windows depending on where you live

You have to make a special request to ship less than case quantities or in a different shipping window. They call it cowboy shipping

Send an email, they will send you the steps to make the request

Are you tracking your orders to see how many are available to ship?
I ordered 12. 4 have arrived, 8 are still showing a pre-arrival. I didn't think their pre-arrival items took that long. Guess I'll wait and see what happens. I suspect they are trying to beat the clock on the tariff and prob going to arrive relatively soon.
The expected availability / delivery information is towards the end of the offer email. Here is a sample of the language at the end of several of the most recent offers:
  • This parcel has arrived - it is not a pre-arrival.
    This parcel is set to arrive in the spring - it is not a long-term pre-arrival.
    This parcel is set to arrive in the mid-late spring - it is not a long-term pre-arrival.
    This parcel has (just) arrived.
    This parcel is set to arrive the week of April 12th - it is not a long-term pre-arrival.
W a r d

JonathanG
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4202 Post by JonathanG »

Thanks, I should have paid more attention. Two that are still pending said they will arrive in "winter" so presumably it's getting closer.
J0|\|@+h@|\| Gr@h/\/\/-\|\||\|

M Mager

#4203 Post by M Mager »

JonathanG wrote: March 29th, 2021, 9:25 am Thanks, I should have paid more attention. Two that are still pending said they will arrive in "winter" so presumably it's getting closer.
The rule of thumb I've developed over time with Garagiste delivery dates is to add 2 months to the arrival stated in the offer. Yields an occasional positive surprise, but is generally in the ballpark.
Michael

LoriMcLaughlin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4204 Post by LoriMcLaughlin »

Anyone familiar with the 1990 Armagnac on offer today?

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4205 Post by ekwartler »

Look, I've bought a lot of wine from Garagiste, but I find it unconscionable that Rimmerman keeps offering '90s Elvio Pertinace. I've bought multiple bottles of two late 1990s vintages of that wine from Garagiste now, and all were so over the hill that we dumped them. I know they don't warrant the integrity of wine that old, but fool me twice...
E r i c

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4206 Post by PeterH »

I agree. I bit on Pertinace once, but never again. As PT Barnum supposedly said, "There's a new one born every minute".
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

JonathanG
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4207 Post by JonathanG »

ekwartler wrote: April 1st, 2021, 8:16 pm Look, I've bought a lot of wine from Garagiste, but I find it unconscionable that Rimmerman keeps offering '90s Elvio Pertinace. I've bought multiple bottles of two late 1990s vintages of that wine from Garagiste now, and all were so over the hill that we dumped them. I know they don't warrant the integrity of wine that old, but fool me twice...
send them a note, get a refund. I have to give Garagiste credit. I bought some of the aged Italian reds several months ago. The cab shipped, they did not ship the red blend because it had "quality" issues. hats off to them for figuring it out prior to shipping.
J0|\|@+h@|\| Gr@h/\/\/-\|\||\|

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4208 Post by ekwartler »

JonathanG wrote: April 1st, 2021, 9:14 pm
ekwartler wrote: April 1st, 2021, 8:16 pm Look, I've bought a lot of wine from Garagiste, but I find it unconscionable that Rimmerman keeps offering '90s Elvio Pertinace. I've bought multiple bottles of two late 1990s vintages of that wine from Garagiste now, and all were so over the hill that we dumped them. I know they don't warrant the integrity of wine that old, but fool me twice...
send them a note, get a refund. I have to give Garagiste credit. I bought some of the aged Italian reds several months ago. The cab shipped, they did not ship the red blend because it had "quality" issues. hats off to them for figuring it out prior to shipping.
I may; their customer support is terrific. And if this were just a one-off wine I bought, I'd be fine. It's a risk you take. But 90s Pertinace is a Rimmerman frequent flyer, and he is selling what seems to be a pretty clear lie. The wines we had were straight up garbage and clearly had been for a while.
E r i c

Mark Morrissette
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4209 Post by Mark Morrissette »

The offer did not really grab me, but your note caused me to go back and look in my CT notes, and, sure enough... I bought two of these in the past as well (once back in 2014, and once last fall). Same vintage (1998) each time.

And yup, not very good either time. He must have backed up the truck on this one, and can't unload it. Time to write this one off, Jon.

Tom W

#4210 Post by Tom W »

ekwartler wrote: April 1st, 2021, 10:48 pm
I may; their customer support is terrific. And if this were just a one-off wine I bought, I'd be fine. It's a risk you take. But 90s Pertinace is a Rimmerman frequent flyer, and he is selling what seems to be a pretty clear lie. The wines we had were straight up garbage and clearly had been for a while.
Interesting comments. The CT public TNs for the 1998 are quite positive with a handful of shoulder shrugs during the past couple of years. I recently had a positive experience with a bottle, though admittedly I was enjoying a hearty meal with a family member I hadn't seen in too long, so maybe it was easier for me to miss flaws. Still, I'd have reacted negatively to an over the hill / baked / stewed / or hollowed out wine.
W a r d

Joe Parisi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4211 Post by Joe Parisi »

I've had 4 bottles of these and agree with Tom as my notes have pretty much mimicked CT, these wines were all a huge surprise on the positive side. I felt like they all needed 3-4 hours to even start opening, maybe you didn't give them enough time. I do love people think this is a suckers buy and garbage though, it's getting tough finding good deals on aged nebbiolo.

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4212 Post by ekwartler »

Joe Parisi wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 10:52 am

I've had 4 bottles of these and agree with Tom as my notes have pretty much mimicked CT, these wines were all a huge surprise on the positive side. I felt like they all needed 3-4 hours to even start opening, maybe you didn't give them enough time. I do love people think this is a suckers buy and garbage though, it's getting tough finding good deals on aged nebbiolo.
I decanted both for 3+ hours. I think I even have another bottle somewhere, so I'll make sure I decant for 3-4 hours and give it another try. Not optimistic. I'm delighted you had a good experience, really, but maybe don't be an ass about it when multiple people here have said theirs weren't. People not liking a wine you liked doesn't automatically make them idiots or rubes.
E r i c

Andrew A r n t f i e l d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4213 Post by Andrew A r n t f i e l d »

ekwartler wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 12:53 pm

I decanted both for 3+ hours. I think I even have another bottle somewhere, so I'll make sure I decant for 3-4 hours and give it another try. Not optimistic. I'm delighted you had a good experience, really, but maybe don't be an ass about it when multiple people here have said theirs weren't. People not liking a wine you liked doesn't automatically make them idiots or rubes.
How was he being an ass? If it’s because of his use of the words “sucker” or “garbage”, the first is a reference to the PT Barnum quote a few posts back, and the second is how you described the wines.
IG: @arntfieldwines

Tom W

#4214 Post by Tom W »

Andrew A r n t f i e l d wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 1:50 am

How was he being an ass? If it’s because of his use of the words “sucker” or “garbage”, the first is a reference to the PT Barnum quote a few posts back, and the second is how you described the wines.
Though I commented on this 90's Pertinance topic, my comment is not in this sub-thread, but I'd like to chime in and hopefully tamp down on this little kerfuffle. A quick reading of Joe Parisi's "I do love people think this is a suckers (sic) buy and garbage though" could be misinterpreted. A quick read could result in someone thinking that he's saying that those who do not like the wine are fools or something like that ("idiots"), but a more careful reading makes it clear that he is saying that those who dislike the wine think those that do like the wine are the "suckers" and that the wine is "garbage". It just means that when you like something that others think is crap, it is a blessing, because that thing has lower demand and is thus more available at better pricing.
W a r d

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4215 Post by ekwartler »

Tom W wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 7:21 am
Andrew A r n t f i e l d wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 1:50 am

Though I commented on this 90's Pertinance topic, my comment is not in this sub-thread, but I'd like to chime in and hopefully tamp down on this little kerfuffle. A quick reading of Joe Parisi's "I do love people think this is a suckers (sic) buy and garbage though" could be misinterpreted. A quick read could result in someone thinking that he's saying that those who do not like the wine are fools or something like that ("idiots"), but a more careful reading makes it clear that he is saying that those who dislike the wine think those that do like the wine are the "suckers" and that the wine is "garbage". It just means that when you like something that others think is crap, it is a blessing, because that thing has lower demand and is thus more available at better pricing.
I got that's what he meant (wrt supply/demand), I just felt it was expressed insultingly. However, I hope you're right about the intent and I have no interest in starting some sort of flame war on a wine forum. Glad to just move on from it. Wine is meant to be drunk, so if there's someone out there who wants to drink this wine instead of dump it that's inherently a good thing.
E r i c

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4216 Post by ekwartler »

Also if anyone has any tips beyond a 3-4 hour decant for how the drinking experience of the wine might be improved, I'd love to hear them.
E r i c

Sean McK

#4217 Post by Sean McK »

Just picked up a few mysteries and saw two that hadn't been listed:
2016 Pinot Noir Mystery from 10/20/20 = Phelps Creek Columbia Gorge
2016 Holiday Special #5 from 12/18/20 = Thomas Gerrie Seven Hills Red Wine
K e e

Josh McCarthy
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4218 Post by Josh McCarthy »

I just logged in to Garagiste and saw the "Oregon Single Vineyard Pinot Noir – Cache of Carats" had landed.

Whenever someone picks theirs up, could you let us know? Or don't if it turned out to be CZ carats......

EDIT: - Maybe I'll see it as soon as the pickup people. They've already packed it up and have it ready to ship....
Nerdy techie turned Winemaker
WA -> MI -> Napa -> Sonoma
Syrah and Pinot make my world go 'round. The funkier, the better.

Sean McK

#4219 Post by Sean McK »

Curious if anyone has experience with Fattoria di Petrognano, the producer for the offer that just came through. I don't know them but I thought one of you lovely people might.
K e e

Mark Mason
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4220 Post by Mark Mason »

Just rec'd the 2019 Mystery White (California) which is 2019 Bonny Doon Le Cigare Blanc. I'm not familiar with this and was happy to try it out. I'm not as happy about the $24.86 shipping charge for two bottles - the two bottles of wine were less than the shipping cost at $11.96 each. This will change my buying habits from Garagiste.
Hard water fisherman

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4221 Post by Max S. »

Mark Mason wrote: April 14th, 2021, 10:20 am Just rec'd the 2019 Mystery White (California) which is 2019 Bonny Doon Le Cigare Blanc. I'm not familiar with this and was happy to try it out. I'm not as happy about the $24.86 shipping charge for two bottles - the two bottles of wine were less than the shipping cost at $11.96 each. This will change my buying habits from Garagiste.
That shipping charge is pretty normal from what I've seen, just have to hold for a full case.
"And just to be clear, this is a post criticizing people who criticize people who criticize for a living . . ." - J Bloom

5 w 0 m l 3 y

Tom W

#4222 Post by Tom W »

Mark Mason wrote: April 14th, 2021, 10:20 am Just rec'd the 2019 Mystery White (California) which is 2019 Bonny Doon Le Cigare Blanc. I'm not familiar with this and was happy to try it out. I'm not as happy about the $24.86 shipping charge for two bottles - the two bottles of wine were less than the shipping cost at $11.96 each. This will change my buying habits from Garagiste.
Garagiste only ships full cases of 750mls unless a customer requests a less than case shipment. I suppose if a customer closes their account a final shipment might be under a case.

My only issue regarding shipping cost over 10+ years involved magnums. I've never received less than full case shipments of 750ml (and 375mls can be included in a 12-bottle case as well), ever.
W a r d

Mark Morrissette
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4223 Post by Mark Morrissette »

Speaking of shipping... Anyone in the Northeast gotten shipping notifications yet from Garagiste? I have usually gotten mine by this time in April, but nothing yet so far...

Josh McCarthy
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4224 Post by Josh McCarthy »

To give you an idea... a full case shipping to me this week was $31.02. One thing about cases is, if you have more than a case ready in your account to ship, they won't always go in order of purchase date or arrival. So, if you're wanting something specific to ship, you'll need to request they are included in the shipment. I had hoped it would be FiFo but I ordered 2x 6packs of the Mystery Oregon PN and they simply put that together in a box. I had a bunch of other, random wines which had landed and were ready a long time ago. I'd have been more enticed to keep 1x 6pk at the warehouse and receive 6 from the smattering of wines already there.

Of course, now there is less chance I'll just drink through everything right away since I'll have duplicates and prefer to hold onto multiples for a bit.

Toby P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4225 Post by Toby P »

Mark Morrissette wrote: April 14th, 2021, 10:53 am Speaking of shipping... Anyone in the Northeast gotten shipping notifications yet from Garagiste? I have usually gotten mine by this time in April, but nothing yet so far...
Yeah my wines have shipped, I'm in Connecticut
P r a t t

Toby P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4226 Post by Toby P »

Josh McCarthy wrote: April 14th, 2021, 10:58 am
To give you an idea... a full case shipping to me this week was $31.02. One thing about cases is, if you have more than a case ready in your account to ship, they won't always go in order of purchase date or arrival. So, if you're wanting something specific to ship, you'll need to request they are included in the shipment. I had hoped it would be FiFo but I ordered 2x 6packs of the Mystery Oregon PN and they simply put that together in a box. I had a bunch of other, random wines which had landed and were ready a long time ago. I'd have been more enticed to keep 1x 6pk at the warehouse and receive 6 from the smattering of wines already there.

Of course, now there is less chance I'll just drink through everything right away since I'll have duplicates and prefer to hold onto multiples for a bit.
Josh did you get the wines yet / can you share what the Oregon pinot mystery 6 packs were?
P r a t t

Josh McCarthy
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4227 Post by Josh McCarthy »

Toby P wrote: April 14th, 2021, 12:04 pm Josh did you get the wines yet / can you share what the Oregon pinot mystery 6 packs were?
They are on their way and should be here tomorrow. I'll post when they're opened!

Vince L.

#4228 Post by Vince L. »

Mark Morrissette wrote: April 14th, 2021, 10:53 am Speaking of shipping... Anyone in the Northeast gotten shipping notifications yet from Garagiste? I have usually gotten mine by this time in April, but nothing yet so far...
Not sure if you know about this site. I only found out about it a couple months ago.

http://garagiste.showit.site/shipping-central

Maine looks like ship date of 4/16/21.
l 3 r t

Mark Morrissette
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4229 Post by Mark Morrissette »

Vince L. wrote: April 14th, 2021, 12:41 pm
Not sure if you know about this site. I only found out about it a couple months ago.

http://garagiste.showit.site/shipping-central

Maine looks like ship date of 4/16/21.
Very cool! I had not seen that (or, probably more likely, forgot about it). Thank you very much.

Mark Mickalide

#4230 Post by Mark Mickalide »

Greetings Mark from a fellow Mainer and Garagiste buyer. I am always afraid there won't be enough of us to make shipping to Maine worth the hassle and Jon's going to bail on us. Though I have tried hard to make it worth his while. ( from a fellow Mark as well)

Mark Morrissette
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4231 Post by Mark Morrissette »

Mark Mickalide wrote: April 16th, 2021, 7:04 am Greetings Mark from a fellow Mainer and Garagiste buyer. I am always afraid there won't be enough of us to make shipping to Maine worth the hassle and Jon's going to bail on us. Though I have tried hard to make it worth his while. ( from a fellow Mark as well)
Hi Mark, from one MaineMark to another, welcome to Winebeserkers!

You know, I always thought the same thing... there can't be that many people in Maine buying from Jon. But, a couple of years ago I re-routed my Garagiste shipment for me to pick up at the UPS facility in Portland near the Jetport. When it arrived, I went to the desk and gave the woman my number and she said, "oh man, I hope this is not another wine box. We got a TON of wine boxes today!" All from Garagiste, I presume...

There are more of us out there than you might think! champagne.gif

Mark Mickalide

#4232 Post by Mark Mickalide »

That's comforting. I would hate to have to go back to RSVP or Browne Trading, price-wise anyway.

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4233 Post by Arv R »

Live Free or Die!

R_@_0
https://dilbert.com/strip/1991-12-08

Mark Morrissette
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4234 Post by Mark Morrissette »

Arv R wrote: April 16th, 2021, 9:56 am Live Free or Die!

Always a good spot! But as good as their prices may be, I nearly always find I can source the wine I want, at a lower price (including shipping and tax) on Wine-Searcher.

(Apologies for the MASSIVE thread drift away from Garagiste...!)

Josh McCarthy
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4235 Post by Josh McCarthy »

Josh McCarthy wrote: April 14th, 2021, 12:15 pm
Toby P wrote: April 14th, 2021, 12:04 pm Josh did you get the wines yet / can you share what the Oregon pinot mystery 6 packs were?
They are on their way and should be here tomorrow. I'll post when they're opened!
Whomever called Ken Wright is the winner.

2017 Shea, Carter, Freedom Hill, Canary Hill, Guadalupe, Bonnie Jean vineyards.

Sean McK

#4236 Post by Sean McK »

Josh McCarthy wrote: April 17th, 2021, 5:32 pm

Well done, PeterH!
K e e

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4237 Post by PeterH »

Josh McCarthy wrote: April 17th, 2021, 5:32 pm

Ken Wright doesn't get a lot of respect on this forum because his wine making tends to obscure the terroir. That's not to say you can't tell the difference between the wines, and he doesn't make clinkers (at least since he long ago left Panther Creek, where he didn't always control brett).

Purchasers, and I'm included, are the winners this time. The '17s should be spot on, right down the middle WV Pinots.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Tara Cornelius
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4238 Post by Tara Cornelius »

This mystery Brunello is back up today. Does anyone have an idea what it is?
Tom W wrote: March 4th, 2021, 3:19 pm
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote: March 4th, 2021, 2:01 pm
Tom W wrote: March 4th, 2021, 11:33 am

Don't know but the "no sweets" thing along with "intense" points to modern / barrique new wood.
And then the offer was pulled. Oops! [blush.gif]
Wow! That is the first time I've heard of that from Garagiste. Maybe it isn't rare and I just haven't come across it.

I wonder if his clues went beyond what the producer had agreed to?
2016 Brunello di Montalcino Mystery 750ml (Tuscany)
Unavailable

Hi Everyone – we had to pull the Brunello Mystery offer from this morning because of an error in the offer. Don’t worry, no one received an allocation! We want to err on the side of transparency so we pulled the offer entirely. If you receive a “sold out” notice it’s because the offer was pulled, not because you didn’t receive an allocation!

D@ve D y r 0 f f
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4239 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

Last time it was labeled as 2016, this time no vintage given. So either the vintage was an error and it's not a 2016, or the 2016 was outside the scope of what it was "agreed" that he could reveal.

My bet is on the former, but that's just a WAG. I was tempted and sprung for it when it was guaranteed to be a 2016, despite the concern that it might be one of the "new barrique" producers, but given my 2016 Brunello purchases since then and the lack of a guarantee that this is a 2016, I passed this time.

Cgomezmoreno

#4240 Post by Cgomezmoreno »

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote: April 20th, 2021, 5:23 pm Last time it was labeled as 2016, this time no vintage given. So either the vintage was an error and it's not a 2016, or the 2016 was outside the scope of what it was "agreed" that he could reveal.

My bet is on the former, but that's just a WAG. I was tempted and sprung for it when it was guaranteed to be a 2016, despite the concern that it might be one of the "new barrique" producers, but given my 2016 Brunello purchases since then and the lack of a guarantee that this is a 2016, I passed this time.
I think that’s a good bet. But why not bring it as a “new” offer without the bagage? [scratch.gif]
Carlos

Morgan S

#4241 Post by Morgan S »

What's the longest delay on some of these mystery wines? I got two that said this winter, one from October and one from December still not arrived. Another from black Friday that said arriving next week, that still not around.
Nick

Brent Fraker

#4242 Post by Brent Fraker »

Thoughts on today's Chablis offer at $29.70/bottle? 2017 Vrignaud Chablis Fourchaume “Vaupulans” 1er Cru. Unfamiliar with the producer, but love 2017 Chablis.

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4243 Post by Dave H. »

Morgan S wrote: April 20th, 2021, 7:32 pm What's the longest delay on some of these mystery wines? I got two that said this winter, one from October and one from December still not arrived. Another from black Friday that said arriving next week, that still not around.
Not mystery wine related, but longest I've ever waited has been a year. Something was supposed to arrive by spring, and then showed up the next spring. Stuff happens. But in a decade of buying I've never not had a wine fulfilled.
Hendrik

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4244 Post by PeterH »

Brent Fraker wrote: April 21st, 2021, 9:16 am Thoughts on today's Chablis offer at $29.70/bottle? 2017 Vrignaud Chablis Fourchaume “Vaupulans” 1er Cru. Unfamiliar with the producer, but love 2017 Chablis.
I've purchased Vrignaud Chablis through Garagiste a number of times. It is solid, but not spectacular, and better in leaner years. Sounds like a good deal, but not a great deal.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Nate Rulis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4245 Post by Nate Rulis »

Brent Fraker wrote: April 21st, 2021, 9:16 am Thoughts on today's Chablis offer at $29.70/bottle? 2017 Vrignaud Chablis Fourchaume “Vaupulans” 1er Cru. Unfamiliar with the producer, but love 2017 Chablis.
I got a couple bottles of the 2018 Vrignaud Chablis Fourchaume last June. Those were under $20 a bottle and, I feel, a pretty good bargain. Totally solid Chablis.
Nate Rulis

Andrew A r n t f i e l d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4246 Post by Andrew A r n t f i e l d »

Has anyone identified this one?

01/29/21: 2018 Napa Valley Cab Sauv Single Vineyard Mystery @ $69.71

Josh McCarthy
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4247 Post by Josh McCarthy »

Andrew A r n t f i e l d wrote: April 21st, 2021, 1:29 pm Has anyone identified this one?

Someone previously stated it was a Antinori Townsend Vineyard. I haven't received mine to confirm.....

Andrew A r n t f i e l d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4248 Post by Andrew A r n t f i e l d »

Josh McCarthy wrote: April 21st, 2021, 2:46 pm
Andrew A r n t f i e l d wrote: April 21st, 2021, 1:29 pm Has anyone identified this one?

Someone previously stated it was a Antinori Townsend Vineyard. I haven't received mine to confirm.....
Thanks. Somehow I missed that post. I'm not familiar with that specific wine, but I see it on Winebid for $55 plus vig. 😕

Josh McCarthy
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4249 Post by Josh McCarthy »

Andrew A r n t f i e l d wrote: April 21st, 2021, 3:46 pm
Josh McCarthy wrote: April 21st, 2021, 2:46 pm

Thanks. Somehow I missed that post. I'm not familiar with that specific wine, but I see it on Winebid for $55 plus vig. 😕
Yeah, I was slightly bummed too. I'm in the process of collecting 2018 wines to celebrate my son's birth when he's close-ish in age and that was the first bummer. Maybe I'll institute some Italian culture and he'll be tasting it at 10. He already sees me with wine all the time anyway.

On a side note, I met a former Antica employee a few years back and they gave me a older bottle of wine (it was 2017 and the wine was 2004). It was solid, although it was showing its age. It didn't stand out in any particular way but was decent for a shiner bottle with a questionable storage history!

Mark Morrissette
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4250 Post by Mark Morrissette »

Rioja Mystery out today...

Looking at the Vinous article Jon mentions, I went through the list based on:
92-94 Points
Gran Reserva
Listed Price in the report of $60 - $75 (He usually quotes "lowest price I can find" or something similar. This time he was careful to quote SRP. Not all wines in the Vinous report have SRP, but many do. I am guessing he did that to make it easier to figure out the correct wine. He says $40 - $80, but closer to $80, which means it has to have an SRP of $60 or more.)

Given those criteria, there are the 4 the fit the bill in the report:

2014 Viñedos de Contino; Gran Reserva; 94 pts; SRP: $68
2015 Bodegas Olarra; Reciente Gran Reserva; 93 pts; SRP: $65
2007 Viñedos de Páganos; El Puntido Gran Reserva; 93 Pts; SRP: $65
2004 Bodegas Urbina; Gran Reserva Especial; 93Pts, SRP: $60

Not sure if any of those have been offered by Garagiste in the past?

I am somewhat inclined to think it might be Viñedos de Páganos. Why? Because, 2007 was a relatively poor vintage in Rioja, that a producer may be looking to offload. (But, as a counter argument, that wine already has 94 pts from Jeb Dunnuck, which Jon does not mention...)

Return to “Wine Talk”