The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Richard Foxall

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#4051 Post by Richard Foxall »

Richard Foxall wrote: January 5th, 2021, 1:26 pm
ChrisL wrote: January 5th, 2021, 9:14 am Anyone by chance know what that 2008 Mystery champagne is? Seeing that it's in stock.
I would be interested, too, but since I badgered them into shipping my wines, I should be able to answer in a few days.

Sent them a long email complaining that the wines were sold on "be there in time for the holidays" and the most anyone had heard was, "hey, delays, you'll get it when your 'automatic shipping date' is scheduled." Apparently, the automatons respond to customer complaints.
Looked at that again. Mine is not the 2008, it's one of the low priced mysteries. Still, I'll be interested to hear.
"We don't have a drinking problem, we have a buying problem." -R. Pavlovich

Peter Shurman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4052 Post by Peter Shurman »

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote: December 24th, 2020, 10:44 am I'm ashamed to admit it but I bit too.
Did you receive a confirm yet? So far, crickets.
keeping those ITB in business

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#4053 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o »

Peter Shurman wrote: January 5th, 2021, 9:10 pm
Sherri S h a p i r o wrote: December 24th, 2020, 10:44 am I'm ashamed to admit it but I bit too.
Nothing!

Alan Newman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4054 Post by Alan Newman »

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote: January 6th, 2021, 4:19 am
Peter Shurman wrote: January 5th, 2021, 9:10 pm
Nothing!
Crickets here too.

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#4055 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o »

Alan Newman wrote: January 6th, 2021, 9:26 am
Peter Shurman wrote: January 5th, 2021, 9:10 pm Did you receive a confirm yet? So far, crickets.
Nothing!
Crickets here too.
Charge just hit my Amex. (But still no confirmation email.)

Brian Glas

#4056 Post by Brian Glas »

I just got a few confirmations from wine requested last week.

M Mager

#4057 Post by M Mager »

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote: January 6th, 2021, 2:56 pm
Nothing!
Crickets here too.
I received my e-mail confirmation on this offer today.
Michael

ChrisWolff

#4058 Post by ChrisWolff »

Question about one of the old Priorat mysteries that I bought- on 1/30/20 the Green Monster offer went out for 13.71. It was Cop de Ma Fort (really liked the wine).

The story Jon told was about a winemaker and his much more expensive blends, but I'm confused when I go to the website on the back of the bottle- https://www.cellersunio.com/gb/

It looks like a co-op of the area website. Who actually made this wine? Thanks

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#4059 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o »

M Mager wrote: January 6th, 2021, 3:18 pm

Crickets here too.
Got mine tonight too

Alan Newman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4060 Post by Alan Newman »

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote: January 6th, 2021, 6:45 pm
M Mager wrote: January 6th, 2021, 3:18 pm
Got mine tonight too
Me too

Andrew Hall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4061 Post by Andrew Hall »

ChrisWolff wrote: January 6th, 2021, 6:11 pm Question about one of the old Priorat mysteries that I bought- on 1/30/20 the Green Monster offer went out for 13.71. It was Cop de Ma Fort (really liked the wine).

The story Jon told was about a winemaker and his much more expensive blends, but I'm confused when I go to the website on the back of the bottle- https://www.cellersunio.com/gb/

It looks like a co-op of the area website. Who actually made this wine? Thanks
I can't speak to the veracity of the Garagiste's story on this wine, but it is really common for Spanish winemakers to actually make the wines in the larger facilities who have to be legally listed on the label. We run into this all the time with micro-production wines from artisan winemakers in Spain and it makes keeping them straight in CellarTracker hard.
Andrew Hall (itb)

andrew @ cellartracker dot com

Mark Mason

#4062 Post by Mark Mason »

I had forgotten all about Garagiste and see my last purchases were in 2008. Looks like I still have 8 bottles in the cellar. I think I'll rejoin the mailing list for fun.
Hard water fisherman

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4063 Post by Kris Patten »

November 29th Mystery Burg is 2018 Domaine Poulleau Pere & Fils Bourgogne Rouge. Bought one to see what could possibly be $20 hoping for some village Burg. Drank it. Good wine for $20.
ITB

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4064 Post by Ron Slye »

Kris Patten wrote: December 30th, 2020, 6:39 pm Opened 2015 Den Hoed Andreas tonight after pickup, if you are unhappy at $20 I would be floored, if you are thrilled it makes sense. Worth $100, no way, worth $50, yes. At $20, killer. Very balanced and true to what Cabernet should taste like.
I agree somewhat with the valuation. At first it was a bit too fruit forward for me (well, it is young). But with some air, while there was still strong red/purple fruit, there was also a lovely savory note that started to emerge -- all I could think is that there was some Cab Franc (I don't know what the blend is). My sense is I am going to like this a good deal in maybe 4-5 years. So yes, a great deal at 20. Probably at or above 50 in 4-5 years. And yes, I would definitely have been disappointed if I had paid 100. But who knows, maybe in five years I will feel differently!

terrance.c

#4065 Post by terrance.c »

Picked up wine today at Garagiste.

Champagne Mystery from 7/24/20: De Saint-Gall Le Selection

I also asked the staff if she can tell me what the Champagne 1er Mystery was from 11/27/20. She looked it up and told me it was Blondel Carte d'or.
-Terrance Creighton

Adam Mintz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4066 Post by Adam Mintz »

terrance.c wrote: January 9th, 2021, 2:38 pm Picked up wine today at Garagiste.

Champagne Mystery from 7/24/20: De Saint-Gall Le Selection

I also asked the staff if she can tell me what the Champagne 1er Mystery was from 11/27/20. She looked it up and told me it was Blondel Carte d'or.
Thank you for posting this. Bought both of these offers. Did you happen to order the 2008 Champagne Grand Cru Mystery from Oct 16? Curious to know what that mystery champagne is.

terrance.c

#4067 Post by terrance.c »

No, I didn't get that one... don't even remember seeing it or else probably would have got it. :/
-Terrance Creighton

Jim Sawitzke
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4068 Post by Jim Sawitzke »

I'm curious about the '08 mystery Grand Cru Champagne as well.

Tom W

#4069 Post by Tom W »

I think we all need to be understanding this year with the shipping delays. I expect warehouse operations and related supply chain issues are negatively impacted by COVID. Crowded warehouses can get tricky and the COVID restrictions can really hit productivity. That said, I'm a bit perturbed that they chose to ship to SoCal while we'll be having a heat wave with highs in the 80s. And they have FedEx pick up on Tuesday, so this sometimes results in FedEx failing to get out for local delivery by Friday and so the boxes sit in their local SoCal warehouse all weekend. Ug.
W a r d

loren.grossman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#4070 Post by loren.grossman »

Jim Sawitzke wrote: January 9th, 2021, 7:57 pm I'm curious about the '08 mystery Grand Cru Champagne as well.
The 2008 Champers is the de St Gall Orpale. champagne.gif

ChrisW

#4071 Post by ChrisW »

May 22 Aged Brunello mystery anyone?
<@ru@n@

ChrisL
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4072 Post by ChrisL »

loren.grossman wrote: January 11th, 2021, 3:36 pm
Jim Sawitzke wrote: January 9th, 2021, 7:57 pm I'm curious about the '08 mystery Grand Cru Champagne as well.
No experience with this wine. Is the emoji a sign of excitement?
Ludg@te

Jim Sawitzke
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4073 Post by Jim Sawitzke »

Interesting...thank you. Looking forward to trying it.

scottkieser

#4074 Post by scottkieser »

The Sancerre, if anyone is wondering, is Masson de Blondelet

Scott AB
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4075 Post by Scott AB »

ChrisW wrote: January 12th, 2021, 4:19 pm May 22 Aged Brunello mystery anyone?
Just got my too many cases from Garagiste today. The Aged Brunello mystery is a 2008 La Fiorita.
Scott Bender

Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4076 Post by Mark Morrissette »

Scott AB wrote: January 14th, 2021, 10:25 am
Just got my too many cases from Garagiste today. The Aged Brunello mystery is a 2008 La Fiorita.
Very helpful, thank you.

Does not sound like a great purchase for me. CT scores are OK (low 90s), but pro reviews are fairly weak.
Vinous/Ian D'Agata: 88; Jancis/Walter Speller: 16

Not sure I would have pulled the trigger knowing that, but I am also curious to try an aged Brunello which I have not had before. So, a reasonable experiment, I suppose.

Tom W

#4077 Post by Tom W »

Mark Morrissette wrote: January 14th, 2021, 11:40 am
Very helpful, thank you.

Does not sound like a great purchase for me. CT scores are OK (low 90s), but pro reviews are fairly weak.

Not sure I would have pulled the trigger knowing that, but I am also curious to try an aged Brunello which I have not had before. So, a reasonable experiment, I suppose.
I give a pretty high weight to community (CT) scores for many reasons.

First, let me say that I discount very high or very low CT scores, particularly by users who leave a score only (no text) and multiple scores. (Sometimes it's worth doing a quick skim of a user's TNs to see if they generally score very high or very low. CT allows us to "Ignore" users, which will remove their score from the *median* if you click through.)

That said, there are many excellent tasters in CT (and they stand out with a "star" symbol if you choose to "Become a Fan" - I've found this useful). Some specialize in regions and varietals and have thousands of TNs. Unless someone is a deep shill, CT users are arms-length from nearly every producer and don't risk the impact to reviews that come from liking / disliking a producer. This is a real effect on many professionals. They're human.

Many professional reviews are done shortly after release. Many are even barrel samples!!! Barrel samples may give a hint of potential, but can be misleading. CT users taste over the wine's lifetime and nearly all of them bought bottles at retail or from the winery.

Aside: A "16" from Jancis is solid from my perspective. (The Jancis Robinson drinking windows are often extremely narrow and short, but that's another story...)

D'Agata may be an excellent taster, but wines can surprise during their evolution and regardless of a professional taster's honesty and technical taste capabilities, they always have a style preference. His '88' then could be a '92' now while a prior '95' could become a '93'. Indeed, from what I see his review was summer 2013, so within about six months of release. It's been nearly eight years since his review.

All that said, I've scanned the CT TNs and beneath the low-90s scores are notes that indicate to me that this is "very good" rather than exceptional. I've got a bottle of this coming today. Stay tuned!
W a r d

Tom W

#4078 Post by Tom W »

Has anyone else had difficulties with Garagiste FedEx shipments?

I've had multiple issues during the past couple of years and it's to the point where I don't think that I can continue dealing with Garagiste - because of FEDEX!!! This is compounded by Garagiste deciding to ship wine to SoCal during a heat wave - literally landing the wine on the worst possible days in months.

FedEx texted to say the cases would be delivered today and I had to wait all day - their system said the boxes were on a truck out for delivery since before 7 AM for delivery today (14th). Nothing. Now their system says delivery tomorrow (15th). It is such a time waster and potentially damaging to the wine. Terrible.
W a r d

Vince L.

#4079 Post by Vince L. »

I think it's been said in multiple threads (incl one of mine) but frankly the amount of shipment these days has pretty much made shipments not guaranteed. Also it hasnt broke 85 yet as far as I know so the wine should be fine.
Sign up for FDM and redirect to a FedEx Store /Walgreens. You know they gotta stop at one of their retail stores so they won't skip you. Then pickup after they deliver.
l 3 r t

Tom W

#4080 Post by Tom W »

Vince L. wrote: January 14th, 2021, 9:24 pm I think it's been said in multiple threads (incl one of mine) but frankly the amount of shipment these days has pretty much made shipments not guaranteed. Also it hasnt broke 85 yet as far as I know so the wine should be fine.
Sign up for FDM and redirect to a FedEx Store /Walgreens. You know they gotta stop at one of their retail stores so they won't skip you. Then pickup after they deliver.
Thanks, but...

I have had multiple issues with Garagiste - FedEx shipments sent to FedEx facilities. This includes a handful of boxes from one batch being delivered to the nearby FedEx destination ("retail location" where I pick up) over three separate days with all of it including miscommunication (incorrect communication) from FedEx including them saying things are out for delivery but are instead sitting in a regional warehouse... over the weekend. Things like this have happened several times. Pre-COVID. So lots of calling FedEx support. Multiple pick ups, including ones where the boxes weren't all there.

This batch is being delivered to my home. This is wise due to COVID considerations. They blasted me with texts about the boxes being out for delivery yesterday early AM for delivery yesterday. Never showed. They just kept showing on the truck for delivery and then around 8 PM last night changed to delivery today... sometime... with no window specified.

My instant read is 82 F in the shade, 86 F in the sun at 12:15 PM Friday. Similar yesterday. In a truck or on a warehouse dock the temps could easily get into the 90s or higher.

Garagiste should never have shipped into this brief heatwave knowing what they surely must know about FedEx's delivery performance.

A couple days before the shipment was set to depart I saw the weather forecast and I reached out to Garagiste because I was surprised they were continuing to move forward with these scheduled these shipments. (It turns out the forecast showed this heat spike a solid week ahead of time.) They assured me delivery would be on Thursday (the first hot day) and I checked that the rest of the transit route would be cool enough. So I consented.

Really bad. I've done many years of warehouse and supply chain work. I know how difficult it is. But no excuses.
W a r d

ChrisW

#4081 Post by ChrisW »

Mark Morrissette wrote: January 14th, 2021, 11:40 am
Very helpful, thank you.

Thank you both. Any experience with the 08'? Some days I like Fiorita, some not so much.
<@ru@n@

loren.grossman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#4082 Post by loren.grossman »

ChrisL wrote: January 12th, 2021, 5:21 pm
No experience with this wine. Is the emoji a sign of excitement?
no. Just a sign of champagne! I have no experience with the wine either.

Return to “Wine Talk”