Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Hoang Pham

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3451 Post by Hoang Pham » August 2nd, 2019, 4:12 pm

vwsmaltz wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 3:48 pm
Hmmm A new NAPA Cab Myster....

More Summer Crazy – Napa Valley
Pretty sure it's Del Dotto. Wth, in for a case.

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3452 Post by joeduncan » August 2nd, 2019, 4:28 pm

Hoang Pham wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 4:12 pm
vwsmaltz wrote:

Garagiste mystery? In for a case? You're crazy!

Hoang Pham

#3453 Post by Hoang Pham » August 2nd, 2019, 6:42 pm

joeduncan wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 4:28 pm
Hoang Pham wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 4:12 pm
vwsmaltz wrote:

Garagiste mystery? In for a case? You're crazy!
TGIF! I've been pretty lucky with Garagiste mystery wines, so always up for a gamble. In any case, there are plenty people around me who enjoy a Del Dotto Cab. So they should make decent gifts if they don't match my palate.

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#3454 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » August 2nd, 2019, 7:09 pm

Please report back when you get them!

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3455 Post by joeduncan » August 7th, 2019, 9:41 pm

Does anyone have any experience with Clos du Joncuas? Cellartracker comments look interesting on all 3 for the price...

Bret D!sk!n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3456 Post by Bret D!sk!n » August 8th, 2019, 5:21 pm

Anyone know what today’s mystery gran selezione is? It says it was offered as well last fall.

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3457 Post by PeterH » August 8th, 2019, 5:44 pm

M Mager posted-
"The "Tuscan Surprise" mystery wine offer from Oct 2018 = 2013 Castello di Gabbiano CC Gran Selezione "Bellezza". Seems like a pretty good buy at $20/per."
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Sean McK

#3458 Post by Sean McK » August 9th, 2019, 6:28 am

Interestingly, a different vintage of the Gabbiano Bellezza (2012) was offered in April 2018 as "Mystery Gran Selezione Chianti Classico" for $14. I wonder if Gabbiano is becoming another Garagiste "house" mystery wine, a la Felsina? (Maybe they already were and I just didn't know!)
K e e

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3459 Post by Kris Patten » August 9th, 2019, 7:22 am

Sean McK wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 6:28 am
Interestingly, a different vintage of the Gabbiano Bellezza (2012) was offered in April 2018 as "Mystery Gran Selezione Chianti Classico" for $14. I wonder if Gabbiano is becoming another Garagiste "house" mystery wine, a la Felsina? (Maybe they already were and I just didn't know!)
If it's still with Treasury, just part of the usual Treasury fiscal close fire-sale.
ITB

M a t t W e i n s t e i n

#3460 Post by M a t t W e i n s t e i n » August 9th, 2019, 12:48 pm

Today's mystery pinot should be the Angela Estate “Abbott Claim” 2015, for any interested. Would be a good price for $16-17 delivered.

Rich Salsano

#3461 Post by Rich Salsano » August 9th, 2019, 2:48 pm

M a t t W e i n s t e i n wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 12:48 pm
Today's mystery pinot should be the Angela Estate “Abbott Claim” 2015, for any interested. Would be a good price for $16-17 delivered.
Agreed. Requested 6. Great price.
Richard Salsano

Peter Shurman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3462 Post by Peter Shurman » August 9th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Rich Salsano wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 2:48 pm
Agreed. Requested 6. Great price.
didn't think you were one to buy mysteries ... [cheers.gif]
keeping those ITB in business

Bryan Carr

#3463 Post by Bryan Carr » August 9th, 2019, 4:44 pm

Yep. In for 3 as well.
CT: the_lovenest

G. Singh

#3464 Post by G. Singh » August 10th, 2019, 6:37 am

Thanks, in for 6 as well.
G u r k i r p a l

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3465 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » August 10th, 2019, 5:10 pm

Nino Jesus is back!!! [cheers.gif]

Arv R

#3466 Post by Arv R » August 12th, 2019, 10:08 pm

joeduncan wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 9:41 pm
Does anyone have any experience with Clos du Joncuas? Cellartracker comments look interesting on all 3 for the price...
It's a pretty good Gigondas producer, with some other AOC bottlings I think too. Chambers St. has been bringing them in for a while, and usually has good color on them in their emails. I have some but have not opened any in a long time.
R_@_0

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#3467 Post by Robert M yers » August 13th, 2019, 5:54 am

I’m long out of the Garagiste game, but I am thankful that he introduced me to Prevost before the prices went through the roof. Does he still attempt to find upcoming small producers or is it all mystery wines now?

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3468 Post by joeduncan » August 13th, 2019, 10:33 am

Arv R wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 10:08 pm
joeduncan wrote:
It's a pretty good Gigondas producer, with some other AOC bottlings I think too. Chambers St. has been bringing them in for a while, and usually has good color on them in their emails. I have some but have not opened any in a long time.
Thank you! I had grabbed 2 bottles of the 3 offerings from them, so was hopeful to give it a try.
Robert M yers wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 5:54 am
I’m long out of the Garagiste game, but I am thankful that he introduced me to Prevost before the prices went through the roof. Does he still attempt to find upcoming small producers or is it all mystery wines now?
See above :)

I'd say mystery wines are no more than 20% of offerings, however given the lack of info on cellartracker or here on most of the offerings, they are effectively mystery to me too!

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3469 Post by joeduncan » August 14th, 2019, 9:14 pm

Ok, who's getting the 5L Aldo? :)

G. Greenbaum

#3470 Post by G. Greenbaum » August 15th, 2019, 9:01 am

Arv R wrote:
joeduncan wrote:
I have a few of the '16 Gigondas. They farm organically, massale selection. I've only sampled the '16 Gigondas, but enjoyed the first bottle for its pure red fruited Grenache minus the extraction and rusticity of other producers in the area. I'm happy to have a few.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3471 Post by joeduncan » August 16th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Any guesses for this latest Sonoma Pinot Noir two-vintage mystery?
What I can tell you:

• This is the exact same wine, cork, label and contents as what trades around the nethersphere as I type this.

• It’s a Sonoma Pinot Noir with a long history (from a famous winery).

• The only way they would agree to the $ below was to mix two vintages – not two vintages in the same bottle but a random mix of two different (bottled) vintages that are on the market right now.

• Both vintages are highly thought of - this is not a “let’s get rid of the poor vintage” situation – one is an AG94 year and the other should not be far behind once it is noted (hint, hint).

• Both are the same single vineyard wine from Sonoma, just different vintages (there’s nearly the same amount of each vintage in this parcel so, if you request 6 or 12 bottles, your chance of acquiring both years is pretty darn good).

• We haven't offered this wine (in any vintage)...EVER.

• The lowest $ out there on both vintages is $60-70 (if memory serves, the winery tasting room tariff is/was around $70).

• Today’s two-vintage Mystery tariff is...$13+ (not kidding!)

I can’t tell you anything else about this wine because the Mystery $ is simply too crazy to further speculation as to what it is. When well-intentioned consumers trade $60-70 for the same wine that you are about to acquire for $13+, it tends to ruffle more than a few feathers and anger those in the trade to the point of pulling their hair out in toddler-like tantrums (that we would rather avoid).

So...

If you've enjoyed the recent camaraderie that your fellow Email List members have bestowed upon you in the form of Mystery craziness, I think it would be prudent to RUN TO THE BLUE LINE right about now!

Ready?

On your mark, get set...GO!

This parcel has ALREADY ARRIVED with the finest/freshest original provenance available – it is not a pre-arrival.

ONE SHIPMENT ONLY under $60.

FIRST COME FIRST SERVED up to 36/person until we run out:

Pinot Noir Two Vintage Mystery Sonoma 750ml (Sonoma) - $13.96
(compare at $60-70; two vintages of the same single vineyard Pinot Noir – you will receive a random mix of both vintages but both are highly thought of; the more you request, the more likely you are to receive both vintages ;)

Brent S

#3472 Post by Brent S » August 16th, 2019, 6:02 pm

Not sure but I bought two. Figure I can always give it away as a holiday gift
Brent S

Tom O
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3473 Post by Tom O » August 16th, 2019, 7:15 pm

I was going to bite on a couple but already sold out.
Tom O b r i n g e r

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3474 Post by PeterH » August 16th, 2019, 8:18 pm

Odds of guessing the winery, <5%. Odds of distinct cola on the nose >95%.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3475 Post by Kris Patten » August 16th, 2019, 9:16 pm

PeterH wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 8:18 pm
Off base.

* reiterating I have sold wine to Garagiste.

Jon had a great niche not hitting WSPro and being a great spot to clear out wines, especially imports, that have trouble selling thru in US. Over the past few years every distributor in America and abroad is on his list and will call producer if a wine is perceived to be sold under their cost, effectively acting as WSPro. The Mystery Wine is an insulation against that.

He is just doing as he did before and adapting to a changing market and how to exist within it.
ITB

Tom W

#3476 Post by Tom W » August 18th, 2019, 10:22 am

Kris Patten wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 9:16 pm
PeterH wrote:
Off base.

* reiterating I have sold wine to Garagiste.

Jon had a great niche not hitting WSPro and being a great spot to clear out wines, especially imports, that have trouble selling thru in US. Over the past few years every distributor in America and abroad is on his list and will call producer if a wine is perceived to be sold under their cost, effectively acting as WSPro. The Mystery Wine is an insulation against that.

He is just doing as he did before and adapting to a changing market and how to exist within it.
Re: "...Over the past few years every distributor in America and abroad is on his list..." And it seems quite a number of producers are on the list too, presumably to monitor offers. If I were a producer, I'd be on every Garagiste-like list out there with a program to vacuum up and consolidate the offers to provide market intelligence. (I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't little outfits out there that provide that as a service.) With that in mind, consider the offers where Rimmerman waxes about a long-time list member who wants to give back to the community or, with more straight-forward prose like the following from a June 14 offer "If I haven’t made this clear enough, a fellow Email List member/winery owner is giving you his very best..." Rimmerman has rarely stated that these "fellow Email List members" are actual long-time *buyers* from Garagiste, simple that they receive the emails. So that has always been my take on this claim about a list member wanting to "give back" - that the fellow list member is monitoring the offers and finally finds him/herself in a position where they need to move volume as quietly as possible...
W a r d

M Mager

#3477 Post by M Mager » August 18th, 2019, 1:36 pm

The "2018 Mystery Bourgogne Blanc" offer from Feb 15th == Lamblin & Fils "Cepage Chardonnay"; offered at $9.98/bottle

First I've ever heard of this producer. As best I can tell, they have small domaine holdings in Chablis, but are primarily a negotiant (mostly in Burgundy, but also a bit in the Languedoc). Haven't popped on yet...

Michael
Michael

Brian Glas

#3478 Post by Brian Glas » August 18th, 2019, 6:52 pm

PeterH wrote:
That was my expectation as well. Too many of the California Pinots tasted pretty much like a cherry coke to me. I'll pass.

EricP

#3479 Post by EricP » August 21st, 2019, 12:14 am

I've had pretty good luck with them. Good values.
G. Greenbaum wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 9:01 am
Arv R wrote:
joeduncan wrote:
I have a few of the '16 Gigondas. They farm organically, massale selection. I've only sampled the '16 Gigondas, but enjoyed the first bottle for its pure red fruited Grenache minus the extraction and rusticity of other producers in the area. I'm happy to have a few.
Eric Payne

Bob Hoelting
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3480 Post by Bob Hoelting » August 21st, 2019, 8:54 pm

Had to jump on the Bruno Giacosa offer tonight.

Not the greatest price, but as long as they’re already holding 60+ bottles for me what’s another two?

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3481 Post by PeterH » August 24th, 2019, 2:42 pm

joeduncan wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 3:17 pm
Any guesses for this latest Sonoma Pinot Noir two-vintage mystery?
What I can tell you:

• This is the exact same wine, cork, label and contents as what trades around the nethersphere as I type this.

• It’s a Sonoma Pinot Noir with a long history (from a famous winery).

• The only way they would agree to the $ below was to mix two vintages – not two vintages in the same bottle but a random mix of two different (bottled) vintages that are on the market right now.

• Both vintages are highly thought of - this is not a “let’s get rid of the poor vintage” situation – one is an AG94 year and the other should not be far behind once it is noted (hint, hint).

• Both are the same single vineyard wine from Sonoma, just different vintages (there’s nearly the same amount of each vintage in this parcel so, if you request 6 or 12 bottles, your chance of acquiring both years is pretty darn good).

• We haven't offered this wine (in any vintage)...EVER.

• The lowest $ out there on both vintages is $60-70 (if memory serves, the winery tasting room tariff is/was around $70).

• Today’s two-vintage Mystery tariff is...$13+ (not kidding!)

I can’t tell you anything else about this wine because the Mystery $ is simply too crazy to further speculation as to what it is. When well-intentioned consumers trade $60-70 for the same wine that you are about to acquire for $13+, it tends to ruffle more than a few feathers and anger those in the trade to the point of pulling their hair out in toddler-like tantrums (that we would rather avoid).

So...

If you've enjoyed the recent camaraderie that your fellow Email List members have bestowed upon you in the form of Mystery craziness, I think it would be prudent to RUN TO THE BLUE LINE right about now!

Ready?

On your mark, get set...GO!

This parcel has ALREADY ARRIVED with the finest/freshest original provenance available – it is not a pre-arrival.

ONE SHIPMENT ONLY under $60.

FIRST COME FIRST SERVED up to 36/person until we run out:

Pinot Noir Two Vintage Mystery Sonoma 750ml (Sonoma) - $13.96
(compare at $60-70; two vintages of the same single vineyard Pinot Noir – you will receive a random mix of both vintages but both are highly thought of; the more you request, the more likely you are to receive both vintages ;)
Acacia RRV. Cellar tracker notes do indicate cherry coke flavors.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3482 Post by PeterH » August 24th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Hoang Pham wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 3:42 pm
Any ideas of what you guys think this may be? 2013 Washington State Mystery Single Vineyard Red 750ml (Washington State) - $13.96
Turns out to be Fall Line Red Willow. OK producer. I didn't see any cellartracker notes for the vintage. I usually grab one of these various mystery wines, and they end up being opened at staff parties.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3483 Post by PeterH » August 24th, 2019, 2:55 pm

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 4:34 pm
Bret D!sk!n wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 9:14 am
As Sean said, Felsina is often a mystery wine. I purchased some of the 2016 Felsina CC last November on mystery, though the price was $13.82. Rancia and Fontalloro also usually make appearances at a good price each year. My guess with the chianti offering is that its not Felsina given the price difference from the last time the 2016 CC was offered as a mystery wine. The email also went out of its way to not specify that it was a Chianti Classico. I'm guessing that it is a rufina or something like that, though at $8 its hard to go wrong so I went in for a few for a mid-week pizza wine.
I was thinking the same thing (in terms of "a Rufina or something like that"), and then I saw today's Winex offer for Basciano Chianti Rufina at $12. I've generally thought Basciano was good value in the past, and that certainly might be what this is. If it is, I'm very content at $8.
Basciano it is!
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3484 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » August 24th, 2019, 3:01 pm

PeterH wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 2:55 pm
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 4:34 pm
Bret D!sk!n wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 9:14 am
As Sean said, Felsina is often a mystery wine. I purchased some of the 2016 Felsina CC last November on mystery, though the price was $13.82. Rancia and Fontalloro also usually make appearances at a good price each year. My guess with the chianti offering is that its not Felsina given the price difference from the last time the 2016 CC was offered as a mystery wine. The email also went out of its way to not specify that it was a Chianti Classico. I'm guessing that it is a rufina or something like that, though at $8 its hard to go wrong so I went in for a few for a mid-week pizza wine.
I was thinking the same thing (in terms of "a Rufina or something like that"), and then I saw today's Winex offer for Basciano Chianti Rufina at $12. I've generally thought Basciano was good value in the past, and that certainly might be what this is. If it is, I'm very content at $8.
Basciano it is!
Even a blind squirrel finds a Chianti Rufina now and again... [cheers.gif]

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3485 Post by joeduncan » August 31st, 2019, 6:07 pm

Any guesses on the '99 white burgundy?

Tom W

#3486 Post by Tom W » August 31st, 2019, 6:08 pm

joeduncan wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 6:07 pm
It's priced for forgiveness!
W a r d

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3487 Post by joeduncan » August 31st, 2019, 6:18 pm

Tom W wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 6:08 pm
joeduncan wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 6:07 pm
It's priced for forgiveness!
Decided I'd try one but it was sold out

KevinK

#3488 Post by KevinK » September 1st, 2019, 8:59 am

Weekend mystery Tuscan... Maybe a Cerbaiona Rosso?
K u o

Tom W

#3489 Post by Tom W » September 1st, 2019, 9:15 am

KevinK wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 8:59 am
If it's a Rosso, then it's the 2017. What makes you guess Cerbaiona?
W a r d

M a t t W e i n s t e i n

#3490 Post by M a t t W e i n s t e i n » September 1st, 2019, 9:52 am

Cerbaiona does one of those weird declassified NVs.

"Previous renditions of the same name Brunello trade for well in excess of $100+" --> seems like a not so subtle clue that this isn't actually the Brunello.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3491 Post by Kris Patten » September 1st, 2019, 11:01 am

Curious what the Champagne vertical is.

Weekend The Specials #3 – Champagne

Dear Friends,

This late disgorged set is as hard to come by as it gets – there’s only one set listed anywhere in the world and it’s in Europe (at $750-800). The set contains one bottle of 1996, 1998, 2002 and 2004 from the same winery – not a bad foursome. All four are special bottlings from the vintage, not the same original release bottles (which makes each unique and even more $ and desirable – the wine inside isn’t bad either!)

I can’t tell you anything about this set other than...think Chardonnay more than Pinot Noir or Meunier.
Last edited by Kris Patten on September 1st, 2019, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ITB

KevinK

#3492 Post by KevinK » September 1st, 2019, 12:50 pm

Tom W wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:15 am
KevinK wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 8:59 am
If it's a Rosso, then it's the 2017. What makes you guess Cerbaiona?
I figured it's a Rosso based on the wording so was looking for something in that price range from a name they've offered before, was really just a wild guess though.
K u o

Geoff F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3493 Post by Geoff F. » September 5th, 2019, 8:26 pm

Any guesses on the mystery Loire white? Can it be anything other than Domaine Huet?
F r a n z

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3494 Post by PeterH » September 5th, 2019, 9:00 pm

If it is anything other than Huet, Jon has bested his record for clever deception. I don't think he is trying to fool anyone this time.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Andy K

#3495 Post by Andy K » September 5th, 2019, 9:10 pm

My initial thought was Foreau.
Regards,
Andy Kei!!or

M Mager

#3496 Post by M Mager » September 5th, 2019, 10:07 pm

PeterH wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 9:00 pm
If it is anything other than Huet, Jon has bested his record for clever deception. I don't think he is trying to fool anyone this time.
Well, I have other reasons to believe 2018 Huet has just become available in Seattle market. pretty sure that's what he's offering.
Michael

Geoff F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3497 Post by Geoff F. » September 6th, 2019, 6:16 pm

So many mystery bottles this week. What are the odds this one is the GD Vajra Albe?
F r a n z

KevinK

#3498 Post by KevinK » September 7th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Whoa the mystery series just escalated quickly... Intel on the cult cab?
K u o

Rob Weaver
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3499 Post by Rob Weaver » September 7th, 2019, 6:35 pm

KevinK wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 6:24 pm
Whoa the mystery series just escalated quickly... Intel on the cult cab?
Bryant?
Harlan?

Brian Glas

#3500 Post by Brian Glas » September 7th, 2019, 6:42 pm

Rimmerman has gone completely mad. A $500 mystery wine? Maybe he is selling the list of buyers for this offering to every scam artist in the country. Imagine how valuable a list of gullible people that fall for a $500 mystery wine are.

Return to “Wine Talk”