The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Darin J

#3151 Post by Darin J » May 29th, 2018, 10:35 am

Sorry Matt - i posted the wrong link. The maestro is this one.

http://www.cellartracker.com/w?2745370
Jorgensen

M a t t W e i n s t e i n

#3152 Post by M a t t W e i n s t e i n » May 30th, 2018, 2:41 pm

Darin J wrote:Sorry Matt - i posted the wrong link. The maestro is this one.

That's relieving. I was kind of mad that I wasn't getting CS. I guess we'll see how it all tastes!

Alan Newman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3153 Post by Alan Newman » May 30th, 2018, 4:11 pm

Darin J wrote:Sorry Matt - i posted the wrong link. The maestro is this one.

Darin- thanks for the info!

89 Wine Spectator with a list price of $55. I'm sure that 89 score helped Jon get it cheap.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3154 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » May 30th, 2018, 4:41 pm

Didn’t the ad say no scores below 90?

#3155 Post by M a t t W e i n s t e i n » May 30th, 2018, 5:05 pm

It didn't say that exactly. It said that he "couldn't find" any reviews < 90 and that one of WA and VM were 92-95 and the other was 90 or better. If WS 89, JR has conveniently poor searching skills and a bad memory. Just like the 2016 Ca Rozzeria Chianti Classico that was the first vintage "he believed" they had done since 2010. (When many have are waiting for the 2015 they just offered a couple months ago).

Alan Newman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3156 Post by Alan Newman » May 31st, 2018, 6:50 am

Since the WS score was posted in 2017, he could find it. If I can find it, he can find it.

Just sent an email questioning him. Will report back when (if?) I get a response.

I'm open to some other explanation.

#3157 Post by M a t t W e i n s t e i n » May 31st, 2018, 10:31 am

Maybe I have one? I found a freely accessible copy of the WS and it says "Maestro Collection Napa Valley", not Rutherford.

http://assets.winespectator.com/wso/pdf ... phaRev.pdf

rfelthoven

#3158 Post by rfelthoven » May 31st, 2018, 10:41 am

I think all of you know what you're in for when doing business with Jon Rimmerman, especially mystery wines. If you don't know, read this thread.
Ron

Alan Newman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3159 Post by Alan Newman » May 31st, 2018, 12:25 pm

Alan Newman wrote:Since the WS score was posted in 2017, he could find it. If I can find it, he can find it.

Just sent an email questioning him. Will report back when (if?) I get a response.

Garagiste replied promptly and wrote that my WS link is not the right wine:

Hi Alan,

Thanks for writing in! We aren't able to reveal too much about the mystery offers in general, especially since you have not yet received your allocation. However, I can confirm that the WS link you sent is NOT the wine from this mystery offer. For one thing, that 89 pt review is regarding a Cab/Syrah blend and the mystery wine is not a blend.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

James

_
James Whitaker
Garagiste
*:: 720 SW 34th Street, Renton, WA 98057
(:: 206.264.1494

Mattstolz

#3160 Post by Mattstolz » May 31st, 2018, 12:32 pm

Alan Newman wrote:
Alan Newman wrote:Since the WS score was posted in 2017, he could find it. If I can find it, he can find it.

Hi Alan,
bunch of BS
_
James Whitaker
Garagiste
its more than a little annoying that when the offer is over and people have already received it, that they cant provide a more straightforward answer.

Bret D!sk!n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3161 Post by Bret D!sk!n » May 31st, 2018, 3:08 pm

Can whoever who has received theirs already post a picture by chance? That hopefully could clear this up.

jbray23

#3162 Post by jbray23 » May 31st, 2018, 4:16 pm

Mattstolz wrote:
Alan Newman wrote:

Hi Alan,
bunch of BS
_
James Whitaker
Garagiste
its more than a little annoying that when the offer is over and people have already received it, that they cant provide a more straightforward answer.

Better yet, when you sell them a wine to be a mystery wine they wont/can't tell you if they will run it, you just randomly get a huge order for the wine one day...
Jason, back itb

Mattstolz

#3163 Post by Mattstolz » May 31st, 2018, 4:51 pm

jbray23 wrote:
Mattstolz wrote:

Better yet, when you sell them a wine to be a mystery wine they wont/can't tell you if they will run it, you just randomly get a huge order for the wine one day...
yeah i think this shipment I get from them in the fall will likely be my one and only. I like Envoyer, Cellaraider, and Kogod's offers more anyways... plus theres no guessing involved.

Mason H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3164 Post by Mason H » June 1st, 2018, 9:14 am

Hopefully Darin J can chime in with a pic of the actual bottle. If it's a 2013 BV Cabernet, it can only be one of the following based on the following comment: Either the WA or VM are somewhere in in the 92-95pt range, I cannot tell you which one but I can tell you the other is at least 90pts or higher – that’s all I am allowed to say :)

Using my SAT deductive reasoning skills, that means that VM can't be below 90 points and it isn't above 95. I don't have access to WA. Here are all the 2013 BV Cabs between 90 and 95 on VM:

Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Clone 6 (95)
Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Clone 4 (92)
Cabernet Sauvignon Ranch No. 1 Maestro Collection (92)
Cabernet Sauvignon (Oakville) (92)
Cabernet Sauvignon Atlas Peak Maestro Collection (90)
Mason Hewitt

Darin J

#3165 Post by Darin J » June 2nd, 2018, 1:29 am

The bottle is 100% identical to the cellar tracker link i posted (updated one that says Cab Sauv - in fact I think that CellarTracker photo in the link is the one I took when I put into my cellar). When I return home from my trip I can send another, but I assure you, it is the same bottle.

It is a Cab, not a red wine blend. I could not find anything on it, pretty much anywhere online. Made me think it’s a special bottling for JR. Like very very difficult to find this wine on the web.

As far as WS scores, I think they are nonsense ever since Freakonomics exposed them giving all these prestigious awards/scores to a fake restaurant and fake wine, based on the fake companies paying them advertising money.... you can read about it in Think Like a Freak, or I could find the name of the podcast for anyone interested.
Jorgensen

Darin J

#3166 Post by Darin J » June 5th, 2018, 6:15 am

Here is a photo of it in hand....
Attachments
C4A1730B-CF90-403A-A09F-E9657D2D5EB2.jpeg
C4A1730B-CF90-403A-A09F-E9657D2D5EB2.jpeg (24.04 KiB) Viewed 2701 times
Jorgensen

Bret D!sk!n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3167 Post by Bret D!sk!n » June 5th, 2018, 7:05 am

Yeah, so can anyone find the review of this on Vinous? I can’t find anything and it’s looking like his assertion that this was Vinous rated is BS.

Mason H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3168 Post by Mason H » June 5th, 2018, 7:11 am

Thanks Darin. There is no Vinous score for that wine, so unless there was some error with Vinous entering scores (and Garagiste has access to unpublished scores), which seems unlikely, the text of the Garagiste email was flat out false. It may well be a good wine that is worth the modest price, but I will certainly never purchase a "mystery wine" from them again. In the words of George W. Bush:

“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”
Mason Hewitt

Bret D!sk!n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3169 Post by Bret D!sk!n » June 5th, 2018, 7:35 am

I just re-checked the offer and he omitted that it is the same "bottle" as what trades around the globe (though he did include label, which is puzzling). He often includes "bottle" when offering mystery wines if its not a re-bottling. So I think this is likely another wine that was bottled for Garagiste. Does anyone know if there is any further information on the back of the bottle?

I'd get stonewalled if I emailed since I haven't received mine yet, but someone who has theirs should email and ask them to send the Vinous review for this wine to try and settle this one.

#3170 Post by M a t t W e i n s t e i n » June 6th, 2018, 1:46 pm

Another option is to go to the winery. I might give them a call. From the CT data for this wine, it looks like the wine was bottled for their wine club.

Reynaldo Orifez

#3171 Post by Reynaldo Orifez » June 8th, 2018, 8:32 am

"We were not public friends but Anthony Bourdain and I came up together in the 1990’s, tethered by a culinary form of disruptive journalism that was neither by design or with capitalist intent - it was from the heart. As a gesture of comparison (and with zero intent of grandstanding), the name that I most often hear in reference to my own career is Anthony’s: “oh, I get it - you’re sort of the Anthony Bourdain of wine...but you don’t do TV?” etc (as an aside, one of the most gratifying compliments I've received was a number of years ago from a higher up at a top cable network in their attempt to lure me to a Bourdain–like travel show that involved wine and underground “rock and roll” culinary exploration around the globe – when the executive uttered “you know what, Bourdain is the Rimmerman of food” it underlines why today’s news sits very close to the four lobes of my brain. My response to the exec was “well, then Rimmerman’s a lucky guy”). "

Ummmm.....

rfelthoven

#3172 Post by rfelthoven » June 8th, 2018, 10:16 am

Glad to see someone else found this supposed email tribute pretty sickening and self-serving. Shame on him.
Ron

Bill Tex Landreth

#3173 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » June 8th, 2018, 10:28 am

rfelthoven wrote:Glad to see someone else found this supposed email tribute pretty sickening and self-serving. Shame on him.
+1
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

Darin J

#3174 Post by Darin J » June 8th, 2018, 11:13 am

Regarding the Maestro - I will see if anything is on the back of the label.

TBH - I don't typically read the emails and the long writings. I just look at the offering, and I have yet to be disappointed with a mystery for what I paid. I am a huge fan of them so far, and have probably bought 100 bottles in less than a year from the site. That being said I don't really buy anything else as they are a decent deal, but if I don't know the wine, Id probably rather get something I know.

I should get a lot of my more recent mysteries in the next week or two. Ill come back and post with the results once I do...

Regarding today's email, the context of that was about how it was a great compliment he got, so it may not have been his intention. Who knows. I think it was probably a somewhat emotional email with how quickly he sent it out. Who knows - to each their own. The whole thing is sad in itself, and even see people using on twitter as a political angle....
Jorgensen

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3175 Post by dsGriswold » June 8th, 2018, 3:14 pm

Very Trumpian. [snort.gif]
DennisG

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3176 Post by AlexS » June 8th, 2018, 5:20 pm

Reynaldo Orifez wrote:"We were not public friends but Anthony Bourdain and I came up together in the 1990’s, tethered by a culinary form of disruptive journalism that was neither by design or with capitalist intent - it was from the heart. As a gesture of comparison (and with zero intent of grandstanding), the name that I most often hear in reference to my own career is Anthony’s: “oh, I get it - you’re sort of the Anthony Bourdain of wine...but you don’t do TV?” etc (as an aside, one of the most gratifying compliments I've received was a number of years ago from a higher up at a top cable network in their attempt to lure me to a Bourdain–like travel show that involved wine and underground “rock and roll” culinary exploration around the globe – when the executive uttered “you know what, Bourdain is the Rimmerman of food” it underlines why today’s news sits very close to the four lobes of my brain. My response to the exec was “well, then Rimmerman’s a lucky guy”). "

Ummmm.....
Wow...tone deaf much?
s t e w @ r t

Darin J

#3177 Post by Darin J » June 10th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Alright, I’m out. This thread is not for me. The hobby of wine and the extensive collection I have built is really for fun and pleasure.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out understanding the whole Garagiste mystery concept and the background of it. Good luck in your finds!
Jorgensen

Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3178 Post by Mark Morrissette » June 15th, 2018, 12:25 pm

2015 Tuscan Mystery....

Given all the times he has offered this in the past, I assume it is:
2015 Podere Poggio Scalette Il Carbonaione IGT
?

William P

#3179 Post by William P » June 15th, 2018, 12:50 pm

Good call. JJB just offered the '14 for $42, I'll take the '15 for $39 - much better vintage and should prove to be a better value as well.
William Penton

Mattstolz

#3180 Post by Mattstolz » June 15th, 2018, 12:53 pm

I was hoping this one would be Felsina, but the prices he quoted would be a little high for Rancia even.

#3181 Post by M a t t W e i n s t e i n » June 15th, 2018, 1:20 pm

I think it's Rancia. Pricing for Rancia and Fontalloro look to be up for the 2015 vintage. Based on pricing at some of the bigger shops, I bet discount US for 2015 Rancia will be $45, Fontalloro $50, vs. $38 and $45 for 2013. I think it's a combination of the exchange rate and the "lost" 2014 vintage. Rancia has a couple of US sellers at $60 and $70. So $39 + shipping is decent, but not amazing.

Il Carbonaione doesn't seem to have that signature score yet, while Rancia has the 94-97 from AG.

Dan.Gord0n

#3182 Post by Dan.Gord0n » June 28th, 2018, 6:57 pm

Anyone else order the 2013 Napa Cab Mystery wine? Anyone pick theirs up and know what it is?

Just got an email saying that the winery shipped Garagiste the wrong wine and instead of a cab with a WA or AG review of 92-95, it is an exclusive “special club bottling” that is not offered to the public and has not been reviewed. From a couple clues in the email it is probably a BV cab but cannot figure out what it might be from the BV website.

What is even more odd and surprising is that the Email offer said that the wine was in stock at the time of the offer - so wouldn’t they have known there was a mistake when the offer was made?

For $26, I was happy to buy a mystery Napa Cab with a major review in the 92-95pt range, but I am very skeptical about a club only offering without a review and more so since they had the wine in stock when the Email was sent. Could still be worth keeping - I asked them to tell me which wine is being substituted - that could provide enough info or if not may just have them send a bottle of my order with the next shipment and taste before deciding.

Bret D!sk!n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3183 Post by Bret D!sk!n » June 28th, 2018, 7:50 pm

Dan - see above on this page re: the BV Maestro - a few of us were researching this about a month ago.

Dan.Gord0n

#3184 Post by Dan.Gord0n » June 28th, 2018, 8:07 pm

Oops, thanks for pointing that out - I guess that answers the question on what the wine is. Hard to know/understand if it is better than the Cabernet Sauvignon Ranch No. 1 Maestro Collection that the original email was likely describing. So, anyone try it yet? Any thoughts on whether it is worth keeping the order or canceling it?

Though Rimmerman's email suggests that it hasn't been reviewed, I fear that it is the BV Cab Rutherford Maestro Collection that Parker reviewed and gave 85pts - the label in the picture seems to match the name for the Parker review but for the "limited release" notation. Could explain the winery's desire to dump the wine through a mystery wine offering if it is the same. Even if not the same, not sure select barrels of a main bottling that received 85pts is a great bet unless the reason that the main bottling got 85pts was that they put the best juice in the limited bottling. Hmm, unless they confirm to me that it is something else than in the review, not sure I want to keep the order.

Mattstolz

#3185 Post by Mattstolz » June 28th, 2018, 8:43 pm

i thought it was interesting that the email spelling out the mistake made no mention at all of the possibility of this making someone want to cancel their order.

Dan.Gord0n

#3186 Post by Dan.Gord0n » June 28th, 2018, 9:17 pm

Of course they don’t want people to cancel and so they made it sound like an upgrade - a terrific stroke of luck. However, I am not sure how they could refuse a cancellation because the wine they are shipping is different than the wine described in the offer.

rfelthoven

#3187 Post by rfelthoven » June 28th, 2018, 9:31 pm

Hi Friend,

We’re writing you today with an update regarding your allocation of the 2013 Mystery Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 750ml (Napa Valley) that was offered on April 26th.

Guess what?

They sent us the wrong wine!

We were just informed by the winery that we received a special one-time bottling of 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon instead of the wine we were promised (the wine we received was intended exclusively for the winery's private club members, but made available to YOU by stroke of sheer dumb luck - also known as human error on their part). This wine is more $ than the wine we offered but it was never reviewed. They have graciously provided the following clarifications for any of you that have already picked up and may have been confused about the unusual label, ratings (or lack thereof), contents, etc. (Hint: you're gonna be "over the moon" about these bottles.)

Here is a description from the winery, “Exclusive Club Pack Offering! We’re delighted to offer this special limited production bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon crafted by Jeffrey Stambor specifically for our club members. Created using only the best barrels of Cabernet Sauvignon from our legendary Ranch One, this wine is truly one of a kind. The structured tannins give this wine its dense texture and expansive mouthfeel, while balanced acidity from the excellent growing season adds vibrancy. It is an excellent choice to pair with your summer barbeque meats.”

We also received this clarification from the winery manager about the mixup in the initial information that was provided, “I feel terrible about my error on the wine for the Garagiste offer. I thought the inventory we had on hand was for a wine which had received a rating. The inventory we in fact had was a special Rutherford Cabernet bottling that was produced exclusively for Wine Club Members, and was not submitted for ratings. This was a one time, very small production wine and the wine description on our inventory report was very close to the one I thought I was including on the offer. I am sincerely sorry for the mistake.”

Wow! Ok, they messed up but maybe we should cut them some slack. We’re not “sorry” they sent the wrong wine (it’s an upgrade), but that was quite nice of them to follow up and fess up!

So...

If you have not yet received your allocation you just might want to hang on to this email for future reference. ;)
Ron

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3188 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » June 28th, 2018, 10:07 pm

Ultimately this seems like a pretty great deal for $26.

#3189 Post by M a t t W e i n s t e i n » June 29th, 2018, 6:07 am

Created using only the best barrels of Cabernet Sauvignon from our legendary Ranch One, this wine is truly one of a kind.
Far as I see it, it's a "choice" barrel bottling of the 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon Ranch No. 1 Maestro Collection (VM 92)
I thought the inventory we had on hand was for a wine which had received a rating
Dan, I'd be interested in more details on that Parker review... will be interested if you can get confirmation that is is not that wine. What did Parker give the Ranch No. 1?

Personally, I'll probably keep the 3 bottles I ordered.

RichardFB

#3190 Post by RichardFB » June 29th, 2018, 6:53 am

They said in the April offer that the wine had already arrived, and now say that the wrong wine was delivered. That troubles me. I usually defend Garagiste, but I’m probably going to cancel on principle.

Dan.Gord0n

#3191 Post by Dan.Gord0n » June 29th, 2018, 7:29 am

M a t t W e i n s t e i n wrote:
Created using only the best barrels of Cabernet Sauvignon from our legendary Ranch One, this wine is truly one of a kind.
Far as I see it, it's a "choice" barrel bottling of the 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon Ranch No. 1 Maestro Collection (VM 92)
I thought the inventory we had on hand was for a wine which had received a rating
Dan, I'd be interested in more details on that Parker review... will be interested if you can get confirmation that is is not that wine. What did Parker give the Ranch No. 1?

Personally, I'll probably keep the 3 bottles I ordered.
It would be a nice result if it were choice barrels of the Ranch No 1, but while the Ranch No 1 and No 2 "proudly" show that designation on the label this one does not even mention source. Also, the label shown in this thread matches up on CT without the "limited release" in the name of the wine itself (i.e., name matches up with the Parker 85 pt review) and there are no entries at all for the "limited release".

If I just ordered 2-3 I probably would just keep them but I ordered 12 bottles and it is not worth the bother at all if there is a risk that this is the RP85pt wine (or its near brother or relabeled version or whatever). Hard to imagine that the winery would make a mistake like this on a "special wine" and it is hard to understand how Garagiste's warehouse folks didn't catch this when it arrived before the email offer went out. Would the winery really send out hundreds of cases of a more expensive and better wine that they were dumping for 1/3 the retail price by mistake?
Last edited by Dan.Gord0n on June 29th, 2018, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan.Gord0n

#3192 Post by Dan.Gord0n » June 29th, 2018, 7:31 am

RichardFB wrote:They said in the April offer that the wine had already arrived, and now say that the wrong wine was delivered. That troubles me. I usually defend Garagiste, but I’m probably going to cancel on principle.
I mentioned this in my email to them and I will be curious to see if they address that issue in the response.

#3193 Post by M a t t W e i n s t e i n » June 29th, 2018, 9:41 am

I mentioned this in my email to them and I will be curious to see if they address that issue in the response.
I am sure they will say something along the lines of that it had arrived but that nobody had opened up the boxes and looked at it. hitsfan

This is a tough one. Dan in your shoes, I would definitely be looking to lower my risk - I would not take a case of this.

I'd settle for a "you get to go to the front of the line" on one allocation of 2015 bdx. Twice now I've submitted a request for Haut Bailly and Giscours and got the "too bad so sad message". It is 2018 ... how come they are oversubscribing?

Edit: FWIW I found a couple people on CT who appear to have consumed bottles of this already and I sent them messages to see if they would share their thoughts on the wine.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3194 Post by Nate Simon » July 1st, 2018, 3:18 pm

RichardFB wrote:They said in the April offer that the wine had already arrived, and now say that the wrong wine was delivered. That troubles me. I usually defend Garagiste, but I’m probably going to cancel on principle.
If you’ve been with them for a long time and only now got defrauded, consider yourself lucky.

#3195 Post by M a t t W e i n s t e i n » July 2nd, 2018, 8:26 am

Edit: FWIW I found a couple people on CT who appear to have consumed bottles of this already and I sent them messages to see if they would share their thoughts on the wine.
Success! I am sure we should all take one random person's isolated thoughts at face value, but I looked through this guy's cellar and despite his claiming to be a "wine wannabe", based on what he's likely drinking, if this were plonk I'd expect he would have been able to spot it.
DJSWAS LIKES THIS WINE:
Sunday, July 1, 2018 - I was asked through a message on here about this wine, and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to respond. Weinmatt - if you want to send another note explaining how, I will do so.

Very happy with this Garagiste purchase. I’m a wine wannabe and rate it whether I like it, really like it, so so, or don’t like. I really liked this.

Bob G

#3196 Post by Bob G » July 2nd, 2018, 3:06 pm

If you’ve been with them for a long time and only now got defrauded, consider yourself lucky.
Nate:

That's quite harsh. I don't know your experience, but I've been buying from Garagiste for over 15 years and I don't think I have ever been defrauded. I have been selective with my purchases. I don't buy mystery wines or unknown California and Washington wines. I research what they offer (more quickly than I used to have to as many offers sell out very quickly now) and only buy what I know or want to try. Have I had wines i wouldn't buy again? Yes, but the winners have by far out weighed the losers and they have offered some wines that I would never see in my mid-western market at very reasonable prices too. I have never had an issue with provenance either. All of my purchases have been sound and in great condition when received. When they confirm an order, you can count on it. For the prudent buyer, I think Garagiste provides a great service and a selection that I could not access otherwise. I like the ability to buy a bottle or two to try and combine with other purchases for reasonable shipping charges. You do have to wait for shipment, but i have plenty of other wines to drink and don't mind that either. It works for me and I am a satisfied customer.
*raeter I Need Some Fine Wine And You, You Need To Be Nicer

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3197 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » July 2nd, 2018, 6:55 pm

2013 Rutherford cab for $26 is a pretty great deal regardless of producer. Honestly I think people seem a bit caught up in critic ratings in this thread, at least in comparison to the forum as a whole.

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3198 Post by dsGriswold » July 2nd, 2018, 10:52 pm

I used to buy and still would if I lived in Seattle and could locally pick up or lived in the wilds of Montana or Wyoming. There were a couple of offerings that could compete with the M. Ilan thread than may have soured a few on doing business. I do quite a lot with Full Pull who sell without all the BS. deadhorse
DennisG

Arv R

#3199 Post by Arv R » July 3rd, 2018, 3:51 pm

Bob G wrote:
Nate:

That's quite harsh. I don't know your experience, but I've been buying from Garagiste for over 15 years and I don't think I have ever been defrauded. I have been selective with my purchases. I don't buy mystery wines or unknown California and Washington wines. I research what they offer (more quickly than I used to have to as many offers sell out very quickly now) and only buy what I know or want to try. Have I had wines i wouldn't buy again? Yes, but the winners have by far out weighed the losers and they have offered some wines that I would never see in my mid-western market at very reasonable prices too. I have never had an issue with provenance either. All of my purchases have been sound and in great condition when received. When they confirm an order, you can count on it. For the prudent buyer, I think Garagiste provides a great service and a selection that I could not access otherwise. I like the ability to buy a bottle or two to try and combine with other purchases for reasonable shipping charges. You do have to wait for shipment, but i have plenty of other wines to drink and don't mind that either. It works for me and I am a satisfied customer.
I've been buying from them just a little longer and feel the same way. Basically I avoid mysteries, brokered cellars, and his US offerings, just sticking to Old World picks. I find that they are good value and usually are not going to be found elsewhere. I haven't had any cooked bottles or shipping glitches. I will note that there has been one bottle lost early on but they were able to make a vintage substitution. I don't buy much now, and only use a handful of vendors, but they've stayed in the mix since its somewhat different than the rest of small stable.

And yes I subscribe to the theory that the long Rimmerman rants are pretty much auto deletes.
R_@_0

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3200 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » July 3rd, 2018, 9:37 pm

That 2015 mystery sounds vaguely like oreno which would be a sick deal.

Return to “Wine Talk”