Rare Moose In The Spotlight

Anthony Hall has fairly bad tastes in music. You know you’re in strife when the first song of the night is Dire Straits’ ‘coming home’ and it gets more boring from there. Anthony Hall has great tastes in wine and food and we had a terrific meal at his place last night with a brilliant meal cooked by his wife Kay. The theme was that rare and elusive gem, Faiveley Musigny.

As we milled around, bristling excitedly with anticipation a cheeky glass of Leclapart L’Amateur did the trick of igniting the gastric juices with its bone dry, green apple personality. There were a few nutty, yeasty things on the nose and the palate was strict, linear and quite minerally. Freshly shucked Cloudy bay oysters and Kay’s mother’s Gouges were the perfect accompaniment to the Champers.

Checkerboard of sashimi tuna and kingfish was beautifully presented and had a little gremolata and sea salt sprinkled on top. The belly tuna and kingfish were of the highest quality and sang with a brace of Salon.

1982 Salon: Some caramel and vegemite aromas along with strong patisserie notes. Rich, creamy and textured in the mouth with some honey and butter. Very long and whilst developed there’s a lovely energy.

1996 Salon: There’s been a bit of bottle variation with this wine but this one was a ‘ripsnorter’. Piercing, precise, pure and persistent. Loaded with green apples, lemons and minerals. Great shape, finesse and drive in the mouth, just about perfect Champagne for mine.

Morton Bay bugs in a vanilla beurre blanc were plump, sweet and simply cried out for a bracket of Coche, fortunately Anthony had such a bracket in mind.

1999 Coche-Dury Meursault ‘Rougeots’: Slightly exotic on the nose with notes of paw paw, rockmelon and spiced pear. Dense, sappy, minerally and long. Extremely youthful and we all thought this was several years younger.

2000 Coche-Dury Meursault ‘Rougeots’: Complex aromas of white peach, rockmelon and minerals with a little honey development sneaking in. Great volume in the mouth with a solid mineral spine and dense chewy finish. In a very nice place right now.

2001 Coche-Dury Meursault ‘Rougeots’: Quite elegant and fine, emitting a whiff of smoky mineral and wet stones. It is long and linear, crammed with pure white peach and is dense and sappy. Still plenty left in the tank.

2007 Coche-Dury Meursault ‘Rougeots’: On a fast highway to premoxville. On the nose it has more nuts than the Port Adelaide cheer squad. It is rigid, dense and long in the mouth but very worrying based on how it looks and smells.

A most wondrous duck broth was laced with liquorice root and fresh abalone had been dropped in to poach lightly. It was brilliant with the first bracket of Musigny.

2005 Faiveley Musigny: Aromas of maraschino cherry, liquorice, menthol and purple flowers. Incredibly dense, sweet and long with outstanding balance. Whilst this is many decades from its eventual apogee it was a true joy to drink.

2004 Faiveley Musigny: All at the table pegged this as 04 from the vintage mirepoix marker on the nose. Anthony noted that its remarkable that even with such a tiny production and obvious utmost attention to detail this wine still showed its vintage character so prominently. It was quite delicious with an amalgam of red and black fruits and a nice thread of flora. There’s plenty of muscle and concentration for the vintage and it should be very good in 10 or so years.

2008 Faiveley Musigny: A little volatile acidity punches a sweet scent of blood plum and purple flowers into the nostrils. It is mouthfilling and dense and has wonderful poise and detail, finishing with great minerally cut.

2006 Faiveley Musigny: Don’t know if this makes sense but this wine just smells like it’s going to be velvety and it is. There are red and black fruits, a little soy and hoisin and some menthol. It has great perfume and density and has immaculate balance. Drinking very nicely now but plenty in reserve for long aging.

The Australian truffle industry is in its infancy but we are seeing some positive results. Kay shaved some fresh Western Australian black truffle over pan-seared pigeon. This was served with truffled risotto with wild asparagus and shaved truffles. It was a delicious dish and no matter how sweet and subtle wild asparagus tastes, it still makes your wee smell funny.

1999 Faiveley Musigny: Engaging perfume of decaying roses, sweet cedar, camphor and black cherries. Rich and heady in the mouth but light on its feet. Great presence and balance in the mouth, just hinting at its greatness but close to wine of the night for mine.

2000 Faiveley Musigny: Probably the weakest link in an outstanding bracket of wines. It is sweet, generous and forward with black cherry fruit and some baked earth. It is perhaps a little hollow in the mid-palate and quite chewy on the finish.

2001 Faiveley Musigny: Not giving much on the nose, restrained and a little demure. It’s sweet and minerally in the mouth with a lovely, rocky, cool fruit character. It’s beautifully proportioned without a hair out of place and should be a wine for the ages.

Roasted medallions of Hartdale venison with baby brussel sprouts, King valley lardoons and Victorian chestnuts worked very well with a trio of older wines.

1947 Faiveley Musigny (375ml): We opened two halves of this, one was quite oxidised (bloody premature oxidation, I’m sick of it), and the other was delightful, showing a fresh nose with notes of iodine, undergrowth and mineral. It really builds in the mouth with a sweet vinous heart and lacy texture. It is still very bright and energetic.

1969 Faiveley Musigny: The most complete wine of the line-up and probably wine of the night. There’s a gorgeous curry leaf spice along with notes of hoisin and soy. In the mouth it is full, sweet and round and quite sensual. There are no hard edges but it is a wine of good power and authority and still possessing a driving finish.

1966 Faiveley Chambolle-Musigny ‘Les Charmes’: Very fresh with aromas of pine needle sap, cedar, sweet earth and aniseed. It is rich and full in the mouth with solid underlying structure. It finishes with a structure that we generally associate with Faiveley and is quite a big wine with great vivacity although not the class of its Grand Cru siblings.

With a cheeky little sweetie, Kay’s Pineapple and ginger pudding with vanilla ice cream was perfect.

1996 L’Extravagant de Doisy-Daene: Very rich and sweet with plenty of toffee apple and pineapple notes. It’s full throttle in the mouth, invading every crevice with sensuous nectar and it cleans up really nicely on the back-end.

Comte, walnuts and muscatels…if you could request one wine to go with these it would be the…

1955 Taylors Vintage Port: Great V.P with the most gorgeous, floral spirit. Its clean and seamless yet titillates with all sorts of ethereal perfumes. There’s a little teak, some raisons and chocolate. It has wonderful presence and finishes fine and long.

It was a fabulous dinner and proved to us that Faiveley Musigny is truly one of the great wines of Burgundy. We were perhaps a little apprehensive prior to the event, thinking that the rare factor and our high expectations may have led to wines that may have disappointed. I think to a man we were enthralled with the wines, marvelling at their power and balance and how precise and direct they were. They were not too oaky and certainly as engaging set of reds that I have seen.

Thanks Anthony for a brilliant evening, I’m sending you some new cd’s.

Cheers
Jeremy

Jeremy, you were a ROCKSTAR on this night. Brilliant tasting notes.

Sounds like a sensational night with some serious 3 star cooking.

this was very difficult to read–because of the tears in my eyes.
Beautiful night with awesome food and wine so well described.
It’s interesting that multiple sources are now finding younger Coche wines to be premoxing–he was one of the few (like Leflaive) to be fairly immune to the pox, yet his wines are becoming more and more affected/afflicted, as Burghound noted and you saw, too.

alan

Wow!

Great report. Faiveley Musigny, like the unicorn, is rumored to exist.

Fabulous write up Jeremy,

And FYI, I agree on the music…

The wines were amazing, probably the finest single lineup I have ever had from start to finish…

Although I didn’t take notes, I’ll chime in later when I get back on some of the wines…

Thanks again Anthony, an amazing experience.

Thanks for sharing. Sounds incredible.

And amidst all of the fantastic notes, this gem had me howling!

Great write up as always. This is my favourite on the 06 “this wine just smells like it’s going to be velvety and it is”
Any thoughts on how the more recent vintages compare with the likes of de Vogue, Mugnier, Drouhin, Vougeraie… ? Cheers Mike

Mike,
Hard to line-up against the other recent Musignys, I don’t have much experience with Drouhin or Vougeraie but the young Faiveleys were every bit as good as de Vogue and Mugnier with perhaps more intensity and precision. They were also very, very Chambolle and an absolute delight to drink. Anthony would be a good one to chime in with his thoughts here as he’s drunk a lot more young Musigny than me I suspect.
Best Regards
Jeremy

Good to hear, due to tiny quantities and attention to detail no doubt.

Thanks Jeremy.
Glad I sold my singleton of 2004 then - shame it’s the only one of those I ever owned!

My nomination for tasting of the year and I very much doubt it will be surpassed in the 2nd half of 2011. Fantastic notes Jeremy. An incredibly generous friend and occasional contributor here gifted me a bottle of the 01 Faiveley musigny a few years ago. Looks like I should keep that in deep storage for at least another 20 years which is what I would have expected.

Hi Mike,

We recently did another Musigny dinner (I haven’t had time to write it up yet) and to be honest, the Faiveleys would have pancaked pretty much every wine we did that night (Leroy, Vogue and Mugnier)…so pure and fine, yet structured and complex…like the best aspects of both Vogue and Mugnier together without any of the detracting ones…essence of Chambolle.

What a fabulous set of wines. Never had a Faiveley Musigny…

Wonderful notes Jeremy. What a dinner! I’d love to taste these wines. Unfortunately, my only experience with older Faivelely Moose was a sadly oxidized '71 earlier this year.

Gee. Life is tough in Oz.

Brave man – confessing to liking an 04. I’m standing by for the protestations from Beaunehead et al.

I’m curious: Are these cultivated or naturally occurring truffles?

A mouthwatering dinner and wines, Jeremy. Some Moose !

Actually we had a couple of moose run through our neighbourhood a couple of days ago. Not such a rare occurrence, but this time a photo :

Hank [cheers.gif]

Cultivated,

"Truffle hosting trees were first planted in Manjimup in 1997, after the CSIRO identified the region as being climatically similar to the parts of France where truffles are grown.

Since the first WA truffles were unearthed in 2003, the local industry has achieved rapid success. It now produces more truffles than Tasmania, where Australian truffle growing began, and sells the pricey produce around the globe for about $3000 per kilogram. This season, production is estimated at 2.5 tonnes" Perthnow Magazine.

Thanks for a great report on what sounds like an astonishingly fine evening, Jeremy!