The 2011 Burgundy thread!

Burgundy suffered the worst of its winter weather in December 2010, indeed from the last week of November onwards. It was cold and grey, and there was quite a bit of snow. Thereafter while January was almost equally cold, it was drier. February and March were also cool, though not icy, but again dry, so overall the winter was not too severe, and once again – this seems to be the pattern these days – the precipitation was lower than the average.

We then come to April. As in 2007 the April weather was more like what we hope for in July and August: sunny and hot. Temperatures reached the 30s on several occasions. Bud break started early and the development of the shoots was rapid. Unlike in 2007, however, this fine weather has continued into May. The flowering commenced two and in some vineyards even three weeks ahead of schedule. It is now well and truly over and one can see a healthy sized crop of even ripeness, which will come to full fruition at the end of August or the first week of September; perhaps as early as the 20th of the earlier month in the Beaujolais. Unlike in 2003, however, this fruit will have had the full 100-110 days of gestation, flowering to vintage, so there is no reason why it should not be of high quality as well as precocious. While the cereal crops elsewhere in France are already suffering from drought and the consequent hose pipe bans imposed by the authorities, the vines, with their established root systems, are so far showing no signs of hydric stress.

translation: roasted fruit

Not what I take away from these comments at all.

I didnt take that from the comments either. I guess I am saying is the account is very “glass is half full” but I dont think there is escaping that a very hot dry summer will lead to roasted fruit flavors (and low acids). I’d be very happy to be wrong.

It’s still WAY too early to say anything about roasted fruit. Let’s wait and see and hope things remain balanced.

Thanks

Just back from the vineyards in Gevrey-Chambertin. Man, we are in biigggg trouble. As anyone would, I tried to press out some of the juice on Les Corbeaux. Worse than the fears of the fruit being over-ripe, they are tasting quite green, and no where near as much juice as you would expect. If I was honest, it almost seemed like nothing was in there. I know it’s a bit too early by a few days, but still…I’m not so sure what is currently on the vine will be able to match up well with all of the other vintages of the century.

I was going to say ‘it’s too soon to speak of a long, dry summer,’ but Ray’s comment has frozen me on the spot.

Another cheerful thought, what is this weather - especially if it persists - going to do to all 2009s and 2010s stored in un-cooled facilities on the continent?

Let’s not panic. It’s not unduly hot and there is a good chance of rain in the coming days: Local Weather Forecast, News and Conditions | Weather Underground, http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IBURGUND1&day=6&year=2011&month=6&graphspan=year.

And what did 2003 do to all those 2002s in cellar and 2001s in warehouse?

premature aging

Really? I had a couple of 2002 Savignys in the last week and neither seemed older than I would have expected, nor can I say that I’ve found that with any 2002s or 2001s that I’ve had.

Are you picking soon? Small berries, grapes that have retained acidity, not overripe (remember Burgundy lovers hate wines from warm vintages, ask Leo). Time to pick.

You have tons more experience than I do so its awkward disagreeing with you but Im pretty convinced that some wines from those wines are advanced for their age. Not in a bad way, just in a suprising way. I’ll look through my notes and pull out some examples.

[welldone.gif]

I think what’s more likely is that the higher temperature burned off some of the sulfur which may mean a shorter eventual lifespan, but unless you are talking about low sulfur wines, I think it’s too early for that to show up. Even for low sulfur producers, the one who is probably most frequently reported on this board is Ponsot, and I’ve seen no reports of alarm about 2002 or 2001 Ponsots (nor Pacalets, Prieuré-Rochs, nor other no/low sulfur producers from other regions such as Lapierre et al. in Beaujolais, although fewer people probably cellar those wines). Yoo-hoo, anyone want to comment on recent drinking experience with any of the foregoing? (I have Ponsots, but not in a location where I’m going to have access to them anytime soon)

[pwn.gif]

Good man Ray - I like a sense of proportion…

Good call Berry - the fruit is the size of a pinhead and green - clearly roasted…

I guess it is slightly possible I jumped the gun…