Alternatives to 90pluswine?

Does anyone know any alternatives (besides CellarTracker) to 90pluswines.com?

The site used to be great, but it’s been getting slower and slower and slower over the previous months, until recently where it’s now just stopped responding at all and just spits out server errors. I feel sorry for the people who bought accounts there in the past couple of months.

What is it that you need a website to provide? A quick look at the 90+ website and I see a clunky winesearcher.com. I’m probably missing the point as I just don’t use it

hello george,
i am jp perez, manager of 90pluswines, i heard from a friend that you were not happy with the speed of 90pluswines website, i attach a lot of importance to user experience and i ask my it to monitor the speed with http://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.90pluswines.com/QKk1vOKL before and after each release. as you can see we get an A. the fact is that we test that during european business hours. and i found out that whenever the us wakes up our firewall goes through the roof, without we noticing it!
thanks for bringing this problem up, i inmediately instructed to change the firewall, so by mid of next week the speed should be back to what it used to be. if you have more ideas that would improve your user experience let me now.

hello chris, i am jp perez, manager of 90pluswines, the added value i trying to offer is to provide you with wineshops where you can find the wines with the best price/average score in your neighbourhood.
didnt you find that interesting?

JP, what is interesting is that you are able to legally reproduce Wine Advocate, Spectator, Burghound other scores even though you are not a retailer. Most other non-retailers who do so are lucky enough to receive cease and desist letters.

Double [popcorn.gif]

FWIW, I’m not tattling, but I can tell you that if I did even 1/10th of the same stuff on CT I would be cease and desisted in less than a day.

hello eric, nice to get in contact with you, i admire what you did with cellartracker , it is a incredible source of information for every winelover.
with 90pluswines i try to inform on where to buy wine with the best quality/price near where you live.
its not that much about the score of this critic or that critic, but more about the average score.
it is this “90plus score” that i use as a quality indicator for wine.
those who absolutely want the score of this or that rater are guided to their website.
i used to have the tasting notes of the critics, and i deleted them without suffering any drop in hits.
i could very well delete the scores of the individual critics and just name the critics who’s scores are used to calculate the average.
maybe we could do something with our common passion for numbers and wine… i will be in vinexpo 21 and 22 june, are you coming over?

I just don’t shop for wines in that manner. I work from the other end…identify the wine i want, then see where i can get it cheapest, most reliably and closest. It doesn’t list all of the wineshops in my area. If I lived in a larger metro area, it might be more valuable.

the whole question is : how do you identify the wine you want?
since you cannot taste all bottles you rely on what ‘someone’ tells you
so does 90pluswines, they rely on what profesional critics say.
wines with an average score of 90 or more, and a superb QPR that are sold near you are shown.
ofcourse it is up to you to decide the wine style, the grape,origin, age etc
in august i will release a feature i have been working on a lot: ‘similar better wines’
same price as the wine you identified, with a higher average rating
or same rating for a lower price. should let you discover new wines with the most chanses of sucess.
if you mail the pricelist of a the merchant that is not listed yet to winelist@90pluswines.com it will be added online and you will be able to see the list sorted by QPR or average rating
maybe you want to try it out?

Bump.

The thing I liked about 90pluswines was I could do advanced searches. For a simple example, you could search for “malbec” and filter results to only show 95 point ratings or above.

It seems they took away the ability to do this. I’m guessing their servers couldn’t handle it? (The site seems much faster now.)

Anyway, losing that ability vastly diminishes the site’s usefulness to me. What really blows is that I prepaid them an annual subscription of 50 Euros.

AAAARGH! [swearing.gif]

Does anyone know of any other site that can search multiple rating sources like this? I’m not a complete points person but I do find them useful as a starting point, at least for now, as I’m far from an expert. I find that I’m mostly using wine.com now, but that’s a retailer and there’s a lot they don’t index, so there’s a lot missing from results!

Could someone please follow up?

Just so I’m clear… there’s no “meta” search engine that can “search the critics”?

90pluswines was the only one I knew of. I’ve been unable to find anything else, so I’m just assuming there isn’t any. Unless someone knows something they’re not wanting to post?

There isn’t. Wine searcher shows scores but you have to find the wine itself 1st

Not sure I would call that a ‘meta-search’ but I don’t think there is an alternative. The first thing that comes to mind with such a site is the subject Eric brought up. That hardly seems like fair use. I assume any scores pulled up in Wine-Searcher are those pulled from the retailers. But if you just gotta have scores…