Tucson Wine Shops?

Good morning -

I’m on my way to Tucson for a quick business meeting and am interested in picking up a bottle of wine for this evening. Would love a recommendation on a shop to stop by…I don’t need anything extravagent, but hoping for something interesting.

thanks!

Haven’t been there in a long time, but I used to work at a shop on Speedway called The Rum Runner. 17 years ago they had an interesting selection, but I don’t know how it is now.

Hey Matt. Although I live in Tucson, I buy very little wine there, given ability to have wine shipped to AZ from out of state. I think the Rumrunner is as good or better than any. Too bad we won’t be back in Tucson until early June, or we could share a bottle or two. PM Jon Favre. I’m sure he would let go of something interesting!

In addition to Rum runner, i would suggest Plaza liquors on N campbell near the Univ. Not only do they have a really good selection of AZ wines - they have the best craft beer selection in the City.

Forgot about Rum Runner and Plaza - can’t hurt to stop in if your driving by! Yeah - let me know if you’re ever in Tucson - CHEERS and safe travels Matt.

Of course there is always Total Wine and Bevmo, both on Oracle.

Depends upon what you are looking for, but Tucson doesn’t have any worthwhile selection of Burgundies, for example.
Classed Growth Bordeaux available at one of the big box stores, Total Wine, but they are expensive. AJ’s Market, at the La Encantada Shopping Centre,
has a selection of California and Oregon wines, and a smattering of wines from other countries as well. AJ’s has sourced some wines for me in the past,
and their service is quite good. Magee Roads Liquors has some good California and Australian wines from time to time.

I’ve not been to The Rumrunner of Plaza Liquors in several years - didn’t find a particularly broad selection at either establishment.

It’s a desert environment in more ways than one. [basic-smile.gif]

Hank [cheers.gif]

+1, especially on the beer selection. My favorite liquor store in the whole state…

Bumping this thread since it’s fairly old.

Will be (back) in Tucson next week. Although I’ve been there often, I never have reason or time to seek out wine shops. However, this time will be personal travel so I’m looking for recommendations.

Are the places listed here still open/solid? Assume there is also BevMo and Total locations. Any locations better than others?

A good friend of mine owns CATAVINOS in Tucson. It’s a fun little wine bar on Alvernon Way, not far from the foothills. It’s a fun retail shop with 500 wines under $15.00. I helped her put it together 6-7 years ago, and it’s a really gorgeous spot.

Nothing earth shattering in inventory, but it’s a fun place for very inexpensive wine tastings and who knows what you will find there.

I stopped into Feast while I was in town the other day for business, and was actually really, really impressed with their selection. Small little place attached to a restaurant, with very diverse and unique bottles that I was not expecting to see there. Solid prices too. With checking out for sure if your nearby

Sorry to be short, busy day.
But pickings are thin here if you don’t want domestic wines. You can find some pretty good domestic stuff intermittently, but as roger and Hank said, not too much on the burg, or for that matter good import realm. This isn’t meant to sound snobby, but it may, I suspect I buy 2% of my wine locally. Too much good stuff available in LA or SF readily available and easily ship able. If u want to pick up a couple blles to drink you will succeed with these places below, but if u r going to look for deals or really cool stores, you will be better served spending time taking hikes, riding bikes and or golfing.

Pricing here can be prohibitive, but occas domestics are well priced.

A few places I’d rec:

Time market. Intelligent selection. Some really neat things for AZ. Also good beers. Great lunch place

Plaza has very good beer. Haven’t bought wine front hem in over a decade. Their wine selection I think is poor or at least not aligned with my pref’s

Run runner can be good, but nothing exciting typically. You can find some wines to drink for sure. Can have good cheese

AJs grocery. Has Dave Partain (WB)he is a smart passionate guy and can find something good for you there.

Feast can have some interesting stuff.

Total wine and bev mo same as everywhere else

Tucson and AZ in general are tough co Sumer markets. 3 tier system. Not a great food wine culture, few quality distributors, not great availability, and readily available other options. There are a few people trying hard on the wine front. They are doing great considering the statewide handicap.

Sorry to seem glum, but not a lot going on here.

You will find few bargains here, unless u r looking for some domestic wines that you may be lucky with

Enjoy the weather here!

I go to Tucson almost every year and always bring my own wine. Prices and selection are just not that impressive at the places mentioned above.
The other killer is that byob seems to be illegal.

Yep. BYOB is a mythical creature here in AZ.

For a quick business trip, I really think Feast is a great spot to hit up. We’ll above my expectations in regards to selection and unique (to AZ at least) bottles in Tucson. I’ll stop in there again next time I’m down there for a biz trip.

My wife’s family is in Tucson, so I’ve had to do some last-minute wine shopping there a few times and am always pleased with AJ’s. It’s in the Foothills and a really nice grocery store with a pretty decent wine selection and pleasant service across the board.

Agree that AJ’s has a solid selection…but it’s WILDLY over priced.

I mean like really, really bad.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Not looking for anything high-end this trip - just a few decent bottles for the patio after the kids go to bed.

Like I said, I’m in Tucson pretty frequently for work so will definitely look into some of the restaurant reccs here too.

Holy WTF!!! I worked at Rum Runner in the early 90s at the end of undergrad. Crazy.

Rich,

I would say AJ’s is pretty much in line with other retail places in town, and I agree AZ is an expensive place to buy wine.

David,

You will be fine finding some wines that fit the bill at any of these places mentioned above, (it may just be a larger than average bill).

Enjoy the visit!