TN: 2006 Rhys Chardonnay Alpine Vineyard

• 2006 Rhys Chardonnay Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (5/22/2011)
    Pretty large scaled Chardonnay. Mouthcoating, vivacious and delicious. Oak, pretty much in check.Complex with layers of citrus & tropical flavors. Noticable length. Could use a bit more acidity to offset the scale and be truely spectacular. More Meursault like than Puligny. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Criag,

I agree completely. While I really enjoyed this bottle, the tropical fruit and lack of acidity, meant that this wine was not a real departure from other excellent CA chardonnays in my experience.

Howard

I served this wine last month eight tasters, all but I were double blind. I gave the wine four hours of aeration before serving. Upon the reveal, we thought it was a departure from California’s norm…
“Very pale color. Citrus with touch of melon, a kiss of oak, and intense minerality. Powerful but agile. Long finish of lemon custard. No one suggested California, the consensus guess was Corton-Charlemagne, with others in Puligny or Chassagne. Outstanding wine on the way up.”

from new corvain…

thanks for the suggestion to buy one

lemon and custard. smoke and lily. rainy slate
beautiful balance. crisp acidity with deep corner mouth filling resonance

a joy to have a glass and not spend the bottle