Killer Chianti

I have now had four bottles or so of the 2007 Fontodi Chianti Classico, and I can now officially anoint it as “killer”. It does take some aeration time to come around–this hours nearly 3 hours. But when it does so, the ripe (and sweet) fruit emerges to balance the initially slightly tannic profile of the wine when first opened. With air time, this starts to show a tarry balsamico signature, with a string mineral soil component, tending almost to something more floral. Really strikes me in some ways as a mini-Brunello. A killer wine at (locally) $21…

Carl,
Thanks for the tip. Haven’t had any recently, but remember really liking several vintages of Fontodi back in the mid-90s. I’ll have to try a bottle of this, sounds very nice.

Cheers,
-Robert

Give Petroio CC a shot. But agree Felsina and Fontodi rock year in and out.

I have been selling the Petroio for several years now. When I met the owner she also brought by some chocolates as well. The regular Chianti Classico sells for under $13 here.

Thanks for the note. I just received a case of the 2007 Fontodi CC and look forward to trying it. It is terrific QPR. I still have some 2004s left and haven’t started on my case of 2006s yet. I haven’t had the Petroio. I’ll see if I can find some.

Byron

Robert,

The 2007 Fontodi may be a little bit aggressive at the moment for a Burgundian palate, although certainly 2-3 hours of air helped a lot. But it really struck me as having a profile closer to a Brunello in terms of tarry depth of fruit, some tannin, and minerality, as opposed to your more common “fruity” Chianti.

Also helps of course to pair it with the right foods.

Fontodi is good year and year out, but the 2007 is maybe even at a higher level than usual.

Where did you find it locally for $21?

This was from Woodland Hills (not exactly strictly local, sorry) for $22 (sorry again). Still there according to their Web page. I grabbed it on the weekend when they had $5 shipping inside California.

I was gonna say…$21 means that Fontodi has fallen a good amount. Seems like I recall Fontodi around $30 five or six years ago; maybe they’ve left the ridiculously overpriced Vinifera portfolio, or Vinifera has had to fall inline. Good news in any case, for reasons stated above!

It is $30 at my local store. In California, we some times get special deals…

It’s pretty much $30 or close to $30 everywhere. Carl found a good deal which is still available.

Sokolin has it for $19.99…

I’d give another vote for the Petroio. It’s great juice drinking well right now, and is $14 on the shelf, meaning it’s about $12 for anyone with a buyer’s discount. I think it’s direct imported, isn’t It?–hence the very good price in the northwest. (correct me if I’m wrong.)

Wow, no reviews on Tanzer. Maybe this is why it is cheap?

Perhaps. I do actually think it also is direct imported as well, which means it might be a $20 elsewhere. Also, I suspect it has a little Cab in it, (85% traditional tuscan varietals, 15 % other). whatever–it’s the best $12 red I’ve had in quite a while.

Another vote for Fontodi, 2007 and most other years. Unfortunately, $30 is a very good price in Atlanta, and around $35 is not unusual. Needless to say, the comparative QPR with other good producers falls apart at those price points.

$27 here for the Fontodi CC. I fell in love with the Vigna Del Sorbo too. Amazing QPR at around $50.