Kapcsandy Wines: Consumer Confusion. Please help!

I admit I don’t understand the difference between several of the cuvee/bottling designations.

In particular, what is the difference between the Kapcsandy Family Winery Cabernet Sauvignon State Lane
Vineyard and Kapcsandy Family Winery Estate Cuvee State Lane Vineyard? I believe the first is sometimes referred to as the “Grand Vin” bottling as well. Am I right?

Yes. The winery is Kapcsandy Family Winery
The vineyard is State Lane Vineyard.

Then they make a Roberta’s Reserve (Merlot), a Cabernet Sauvignon (Grand Vin), and the Estate Cuvee.
They also make the Endre (second label) and a dessert wine.

The first vintage or two they just made one wine that had no extra designation IIRC.

Great wines, great people.

Estate Cuvee is a blend.

Hi Nick,

I apologize for the confusion about our wine designations. Of, course its crystal clear to us but I can understand how we could be confusing the public. So let me clarify.

We currently offer the following Kapcsandy Family wines, all with the State Lane Vineyard designation. Our wines are hand crafted to lower alcohol levels than most Napa Valley red wines (14.5% or less). The Vino del Sol is a Port style desert wine and is fortified with grape brandy to 17.6% alcohol.

2008 State Lane Vineyard Endre (51% Cabernet Sauvignon 25% Merlot – 16% Cabernet Franc – 8% Petit Verdot) Classical Napa Valley style from the 1960-1970’s crafted with modern techniques.

2008 State Lane Vineyard Estate Cuvee (68% Cabernet Sauvignon – 22% Merlot – 5% Cabernet Franc – 5% Petit Verdot) Robert Parker compared this more to a Graves/Pessac-Leognan style, wine like a Ch. Haut-Brion and Ch. La Mission Haut-Brion.

2008 State Lane Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon-Grand Vin (87% Cabernet Sauvignon - 5% Merlot – 5% Cabernet Franc - 3% Petit Verdot) Robert Parker said that this drinks more like a First Growth from Pauillac, like Ch. Latour.

2008 State Lane Vineyard Roberta’s Reserve (96% Merlot – 4% Cabernet Franc) Pomerol style wine like Ch. Petrus and Ch. Le Pin. Robert Parker called this the best Merlot based wine produced in the new world.

2008 State Lane Vineyard Vino del Sol (47% Cabernet Sauvignon – 34% Merlot – 16% Cabernet Franc – 3% Petit Verdot) Port style dessert wine fortified with grape brandy with lots of fruit and freshness.

2009 State Lane Vineyard Rosé (63% Cabernet Sauvignon – 25% Merlot – 8% Cabernet Franc – 4% Petit Verdot) Saignée style full-bodied completely dry Bordeaux wine with complexity, freshness and a long finish.

For any other questions, Please visit our website http://www.kapcsandywines.com or feel free to contact me directly at lou@kapcsandywines.com

Thanks,
Lou Kapcsandy

Thx Lou. Going to order some 08 Estates. Looks like you sold out of 07 Estates.

My fiscal goal of 2011 is to somehow not become a member of Lou’s Grand Vin Club; assuring myself of a case each year of his extraordinary wines. I have to keep repeating I am not this balla, I am not this balla…

Nick…we’re sold out of all 2007 vintage except we have a little of '07 ENDRE still available…thanks…
Lou Kapcsandy

The endre wines are a great QPR and would rank up there with the best in its price range

Cracked and tried the 08 Grand Vin last night. Here’s the note.

2008 Kapcsandy Family Winery Cabernet Sauvignon (Grand Vin) State Lane Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Yountville (6/25/2011)
I think I might now understand a perfect score. Opened and kept in the cellar for 7 hours then a 2 hour decant. I tasted the wine throughout the day. The depth, concentration and balance were evident from the begining. The air and decant time helped the wine blossom to near it’s full potential. Inky dark with layers of flavor that unwind in seemless procession with an incredible silky mouthfeel. The finish is perfect which became evident when comparing to 2 other cabs we had that night. It was easy to see while they were good they just fell a good bit short of the GV especially through the mid palate and finish.

I’d leave these alone if possible or ensure you plan ahead for proper air and decant time. I won’t peek in on these again until at least 2014. (100 pts.)

You can afford it. I am happy that next year I will be a member for the first year.

Jack - you are a bad man.

Had the '08 last with grilled skirt steak/blu cheese on a baguette… Yo are so right! I like the DB4 a lot (second of bryant) but for true QPR, this third level wine from Lou is dynamite! So creamy, balanced, and most importantly - NOT HOT!

Thank you so much the note and just another reminder why i’m not touching these for at least 5 more years! I keep “lying” to my wife and say, “But, honey… these are investments for the kids!” In 5yrs, my baby will be 21… Couldn’t think of a better wine to celebrate with, especially since at 16 he already enjoys enough to appreciate the pour of Endre he was treated to last night.

Lol

Thanks for letting us all know that RP thinks your wines drink like first growth BDX, maybe those who purchase can justify the high prices with this little nugget of knowledge.

pileon

Glenn,

Unfortunately, I failed miserably at this and admit I am a member of the Grand Vin Club.

I had a tasting about one month ago with Lou at his winery. The passion is very evident in this man. He strives to make the best wine possible.

What we found interesting (my three friends and my wife) is that we also felt the Endre was a great QPR wine. Probably the best deal from his winery.

For me at the higher end of the price spectrum, I think the Cuvee provides the best QPR as compared to its competition from other vineyards. It is a great wine. Quite Bordeaux in style, which I really like. The Grand Vin Cab to me, was excellent,but way too young to garner 100 pts. But the potential is definitely there to attain that lofty score and I look forward to 2014 when I plan to open one. I love the RR but can’t justify the price as it is the same as the Grand Vin, which I believe is much more of a wine.

Lou’s tasting was one of the highlights of our trip and it was a learning experience. Explaining why they chose to plant in the method that they did, regarding winds, sun exposure , etc etc was just fabulous. Learning about their grape selection process also provided some insight as to WHY they produce such excellent wines. Unfortunately due to points by famous tasters, pricing has escalated and I guess the demand is still there for his wines at those prices.

His passion for his wines is quite evident and it is worth a trip to explore the famous State Lane Vineyard and Lou’s methodology for growing the best grapes possible. Just don’t be late for your appointment, he will hang by your you know what if you are :slight_smile:

Lou should know better especially on this board. Grand Vin - Left Bank. Robertas - Right Bank. Estate Cuvee - Certainly could be like a Pessac but there are lots of left banks that have similar mix. Hopefully Lou will hold his prices for 2009. With Parker out of California maybe there won’t be so many 100 pointers and perhaps temper the hype. Regardless of Parker Points this is a winery that is working really hard to make some great wine and is succeeding. I think Parker got it right here - for the haters I will impugn the blind squirrel theorem. The Roberta’s is limited and one reason I am glad I am on the Grand Vin list is to get an allotment of the 09 - I suspect above all, the Roberta’s is Lou’s passion.

Sadly I am likely to break down as well Alan. Circumstance may force me to join yet one more wine club if Lou will have us…

Careful, based on personal experience, I found being a member of the grand vin doesn’t guarantee you all the wines (as is implied). Robertas is only for the best of the best customers. There are double top secrect levels beyond grand vin.

And generally pricing is getting beyond reasonable levels for a little ole guy like me. It was fun while it lasted…

While Kapcsandy wines are in the same league with regard to quality to that of their upper echelon Napa Valley counterparts, Robert Parker’s comparison to Bordeaux legends, Haut-Brion, Latour, and Petrus are a stretch indeed.

I would disagree. I thought the 07 and 08 Robertas were as good as any Merlot wine I have ever had anywhere albeit quite young. I hope to be able to drink them at 10, 20 and more years old. I certainly think the Grand Vin holds its own with Latour as well and will drink better in good vintages during the first 20 or more years. You may disagree and that’s fine, but then add in the price differential. I no longer buy first growths. Someday, I may not be able to afford Kapcsandy either, but I hope I can get some in the cellar before then.