Decanter's Most Powerful People in Wine Biz!

Gary V makes the list…Parker slips…

http://www.decanter.com/news/283609.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thats awesome!

who is going to post this one on ebob? Over/under on it getting zapped within minutes?

This one is actually more interesting, as it is from March…

Singing the ABCs of Wine - WSJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They missed Posner and Marinucci… :wink:

Interesting article. I was not familiar with this list, but it sounds quite wide ranging. Great to see Gary V. make the list. Do you know how long Parker had been #1 on the list? I like all the worldwide people on it. Like any list of this sort, it makes for good discussion. Thanks for the post.

Lorin, the list apparently hasn’t been around all that long. There’s a related link in the current story that links back to the second edition of the list, published in 2007. It references the first edition, published in 2005. According to that link, Parker was #2 in the 2005 list:

“The first Power List appeared in Decanter in July 2005 (pictured), when pole position was taken by Constellation Brands chief Richard Sands, followed by Robert Parker, Mel Dick of the US giant Southern Wine and Spirits, Michel Rolland, Jacques Chirac and Ernest Gallo.”

So it seems that he was #2 in 2005, #1 in 2007, and then has dropped again in 2009.

Until March, I was unfamiliar with the WSJ list and until today, I am unfamiliar with the Decanter list.

I would assume that, based upon Decanters explanation, that Parker was at the top a very long time. Also based on WSJ, I am sure the P in their ABCs always stood for Parker.

Perceptions are changing, for better or for worse.

Next year, WineBerserkers.com, baby…top it off!

Good idea

I think Leve was planning on making the list though.

Good to see JK on the list.

This is really no more than another form of Wine Spectator’s “Top 100” list. Fun and interesting, perhaps, but essentially meaningless, IMO. Comparing and rating the “power” of such disparate roles as critics, journalists, wine manufacturers, closure manufacturers, distributors, etc. makes no real sense. As an exercise in entertainment, I have no problem with it, but I can’t take it very seriously.

The reality is that, outside of the top international hotshots and the minuscule number of people buying $100/btl wine (that largely does not include me), WS has much more influence than RP or anyone else in the US. A good review of a Columbia Crest or Seghesio has a bigger affect on the overall US market than any barrel tasting review of 08 Bordeaux in the big scheme of things. And the percentage of winedrinkers who have heard of 98 and 100 point Quilceda Creek is nearly unmeasurable. I am NOT criticizing Columbia Crest, Seghesio or Quilceda, all of which make good wine.

To put it another way. How many can name the last 3 Nobel Prize Winners in Lit? And the Da Vinci Code sold 50 zillion copies.