LastBottleWines.com (Last Bottle Wines) Deal Discussion Thread

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: LastBottleWines.com (Last Bottle Wines) Deal Discussion Thread

#7651 Post by JonathanG » April 16th, 2020, 1:54 pm

The Calluna was on sale during Berserker Day for I think $50 a bottle, so the LB price is definitely a steal
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

Vince L.

#7652 Post by Vince L. » April 16th, 2020, 10:34 pm

JonathanG wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 1:32 pm
I read somewhere that they are already shipping to some states. I haven't received mine yet. My last marathon I think it was almost 2 months before they shipped though.
Wow and you're practically local, Bay Area.

Okay guess 4 - 6 weeks is a good estimate. I was wondering cuz I was holding up space where I store wine; but I guess I can go buy a few more bottles.
l e r t

G. D y e r

#7653 Post by G. D y e r » April 19th, 2020, 10:05 am

Lutum 2016 Sanford & Benedict Pinot Noir up now. I've liked this vintage in the region, and with the vineyard and quality of the producer, it's a buy for me at $35.
Greg

In that way, he is like cornerback Darrelle Revis, deserving of his own island, Mangold Island, if you will. “That would be a rusty, filthy island where people wear ripped jeans and stay in hotel rooms that are half price,” tight end Dustin Keller said. “But they would serve wine, and only the finest for Nick Mangold.”

Brian DesPlaines
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7654 Post by Brian DesPlaines » April 19th, 2020, 10:12 am

I grabbed some of that as well. I’ve liked the other Lutum single vineyards, and S&B has always been a favorite of mine.

Vince L.

#7655 Post by Vince L. » April 19th, 2020, 11:49 am

I got 3 more as well.

I literally bought all the Lutum they had during marathon, but I know I missed out on a few. On. A whim I emailed them asking if they had any other Lutum in stock or cancellation. They offered up the 16 S&B PN so I got one of those as well in my "marathon."
l e r t

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7656 Post by Dan Kravitz » April 19th, 2020, 5:29 pm

I went crazy (for me, volume not money) and bought six bottles of something I'd never tried for $12 per. It worked out.

2016 Ritual Sauvignon Blanc, Chile - Fresh grassy aromas remind me of Bordeaux, not the Loire and thankfully not New Zealand grapefruit juice. The palate is surprisingly rich, the hint of citrus is lemon, not the dreaded grapefruit, there's a hint of ginger, a hint of ground coriander seed, this is a very pleasant quaff at a fair price. I'm on bottle #2, will give two away with the food I'm dropping off to housebound neighbors during the plague and a Good Time was Had By All. Rated 88.5, drink up. I wouldn't be afraid to hold this another year, but that ain't happening. A real treat because I'm short of both white wine and wine I don't sell myself. Two down, two going away, two more to drink, probably in the next 30 days.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Jeff P

#7657 Post by Jeff P » April 22nd, 2020, 2:59 pm

Just got my marathon wines (TX)
Jeff P@ren+

Vince L.

#7658 Post by Vince L. » April 22nd, 2020, 3:52 pm

Glad to know mine all show pending shipment still.
I do remember one of the wines was sold out on the WC so it would take a few days to move over from the EC
l e r t

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7659 Post by JeremyMullman » April 22nd, 2020, 5:51 pm

Dan Kravitz wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 5:29 pm
I went crazy (for me, volume not money) and bought six bottles of something I'd never tried for $12 per. It worked out.

2016 Ritual Sauvignon Blanc, Chile - Fresh grassy aromas remind me of Bordeaux, not the Loire and thankfully not New Zealand grapefruit juice. The palate is surprisingly rich, the hint of citrus is lemon, not the dreaded grapefruit, there's a hint of ginger, a hint of ground coriander seed, this is a very pleasant quaff at a fair price. I'm on bottle #2, will give two away with the food I'm dropping off to housebound neighbors during the plague and a Good Time was Had By All. Rated 88.5, drink up. I wouldn't be afraid to hold this another year, but that ain't happening. A real treat because I'm short of both white wine and wine I don't sell myself. Two down, two going away, two more to drink, probably in the next 30 days.

Dan Kravitz
I’ve had this in past vintages and did not hesitate to grab a couple the other day. Really good for $12.

TinahKing

#7660 Post by TinahKing » April 22nd, 2020, 8:20 pm

Got my wine today in Oklahoma. Haven’t been drinking it long enough to know what to buy, so I just grabbed bottles under $20 that caught my eye. Did get a lutum since it seems people like them.

Vince L.

#7661 Post by Vince L. » April 22nd, 2020, 9:08 pm

So TX & OK got them but not CA :) Thx
l e r t

Brian DesPlaines
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7662 Post by Brian DesPlaines » April 23rd, 2020, 7:11 am

Nothing yet in WI, but a longer wait has been my experience with marathons.

Cbonnell

#7663 Post by Cbonnell » April 24th, 2020, 11:26 am

Can someone explain to me todys Bevan Cellars deal. The Ontogeny '17 wine is listed on Bevan Cellars for $95 and also for $95 on Last Bottle. At checkout it says your savings are 0%. It might be a mistake I guess but it's been up for a couple of hours.

J. Rock

#7664 Post by J. Rock » April 24th, 2020, 11:37 am

Cbonnell wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 11:26 am
Can someone explain to me todys Bevan Cellars deal. The Ontogeny '17 wine is listed on Bevan Cellars for $95 and also for $95 on Last Bottle. At checkout it says your savings are 0%. It might be a mistake I guess but it's been up for a couple of hours.
I think it's usually harder to buy wines from Bevan unless you've been on the list for awhile (not sure), but the a lot of wineries have some extra 2017s because people didn't tend to buy as many since 2012 - 16 and 2018 are all excellent vintages and 2017 is supposed to just be good or mixed. I'd imagine that shipping 2 bottles direct from Bevan would cost $20 - $30, while those 2 bottles would ship free from LB.

However, with these two bottles, you can actually get them cheaper and with free shipping from WineAccess if you use a referral code for $50 off of $150 ( http://share.wineaccess.com/v/jordan_8 ). I actually just had 2 of these arrive yesterday from WineAccess and the were cool to the touch.
J o r d a n

Vince L.

#7665 Post by Vince L. » April 24th, 2020, 11:37 am

When they have deals like this they label it as lucky break.

Lucky Break! - Last Bottle
blog.lastbottlewines.com/education/lucky-break
l e r t

Bill Tex Landreth

#7666 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » April 24th, 2020, 12:02 pm

J. Rock wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 11:37 am
Cbonnell wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 11:26 am
I think it's usually harder to buy wines from Bevan unless you've been on the list for awhile (not sure), but the a lot of wineries have some extra 2017s because people didn't tend to buy as many since 2012 - 16 and 2018 are all excellent vintages and 2017 is supposed to just be good or mixed. I'd imagine that shipping 2 bottles direct from Bevan would cost $20 - $30, while those 2 bottles would ship free from LB.

However, with these two bottles, you can actually get them cheaper and with free shipping from WineAccess if you use a referral code for $50 off of $150 ( http://share.wineaccess.com/v/jordan_8 ). I actually just had 2 of these arrive yesterday from WineAccess and the were cool to the touch.
Yes, there are quite a few wineries sitting on excess 2017s due to fears (real or not) about smoke taint and the heat spike. I have no knowledge of Bevan being affected and have not had any of his wines from the vintage.

I think we will be seeing more and more high profile wines on flash sale sites in the coming months to keep these wineries afloat with all the uncertainly surrounding the economy. Just this week I ran across cases of 2016 Round Pond Rutherford Estate Cab for a serious discount at $41 a bottle.
DB: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cankles&amp=true&defid=248846

Cbonnell

#7667 Post by Cbonnell » April 24th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Alright that makes sense. I was hoping for a discount esp. because I just missed out on today’s Wine Spies Bacio Beckstoffer cab.

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7668 Post by Jeff_M. » April 24th, 2020, 2:11 pm

Vince L. wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 9:08 pm
So TX & OK got them but not CA :) Thx
I emailed them late last week as I was worried about this heat wave in SoCal and they said they were shipping state by state and that they had sold over 100K bottles during the marathon. I didn't want the wine to ship during the heat wave.

"We ship marathon orders state by state and we have not yet come to your state as of yet. We communicated in the marathon informational email and on each offer that went up doing the marathon that we would begin shipping right away, but would require several weeks to get through all states, and we asked for patience during this time. We had over 61,000 orders (100,000+ bottles sold). If you have any upcoming conflicts, or would like a specific ship date, please let us know."
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache

Vince L.

#7669 Post by Vince L. » April 24th, 2020, 3:05 pm

Thanks Jeff. I just had something shipped from them yesterday and got it this morning. I emailed them last night since I too was concerned about the heat and how GSO left my package outside of my condo complex front gate after I spoke with their call center on how if they missed Friday they would hold the package till Monday. Luckily they stopped by early before it got warm.
l e r t

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7670 Post by Dan Kravitz » April 24th, 2020, 4:19 pm

commercial post: I'm itb and Last Bottle sometimes buys wine from me.

I guess I have a different perspective. I have a basement full of wine. I rarely buy expensive wines (for me, defined as fifty bucks plus) from Last Bottle. I've never had anything purchased from Last Bottle not arrive in good condition, and I simply have no concern about when it will arrive.
Last but not least, I'll worry about the heat as soon as it stops snowing here (I'm exaggerating; we had sleety flurries a few hours ago, it's clear now and 40).

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Mike R

#7671 Post by Mike R » April 24th, 2020, 10:16 pm

Got my shipment notification today. NJ.
... 0 p 3 r

G. D y e r

#7672 Post by G. D y e r » April 25th, 2020, 8:55 am

Vince L. wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 3:05 pm
Thanks Jeff. I just had something shipped from them yesterday and got it this morning. I emailed them last night since I too was concerned about the heat and how GSO left my package outside of my condo complex front gate after I spoke with their call center on how if they missed Friday they would hold the package till Monday. Luckily they stopped by early before it got warm.
I was a bit concerned by the shipping during the heatwave, but mine left the Bay Area in the evening and was at my door by mid-morning, still cool to the touch.
Greg

In that way, he is like cornerback Darrelle Revis, deserving of his own island, Mangold Island, if you will. “That would be a rusty, filthy island where people wear ripped jeans and stay in hotel rooms that are half price,” tight end Dustin Keller said. “But they would serve wine, and only the finest for Nick Mangold.”

Eric White

#7673 Post by Eric White » April 28th, 2020, 12:14 pm

I do love Failla, though I haven't had one in several years now. In for four of the '13 Pinot.

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7674 Post by Mattstolz » April 28th, 2020, 12:27 pm

I started being really careful and picky when considering marathon orders because of the fact that the shipping takes for freaking ever.

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7675 Post by PeterH » May 2nd, 2020, 12:18 pm

I'm tempted by today's Brian Carter offer, even though I don't need any wine, and the kind of parties in which I open wine like that are off limits for a while.
If anyone has a wedding or other major gathering coming up post lock-down, I highly recommend loading up.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

J. Rock

#7676 Post by J. Rock » May 8th, 2020, 11:26 am

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Thurlow Cellars Kingsnake Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain 2017 or know anything about the winemaker Kevin Morrissey? I'm tempted to try some Howell Mountain Cab for $39.
J o r d a n

rsmithjr

#7677 Post by rsmithjr » May 8th, 2020, 11:56 am

I just bit for 3 bottles of Kingsnake. Morrissey was winemaker at Ehlers and I saw lots of 90+ scores.

My only concern is smoke taint...
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant'

KC Cormack

#7678 Post by KC Cormack » May 8th, 2020, 11:57 am

It looks like the Thurlow Cellars is sold out on lastbottlewines.com now.

Vince L.

#7679 Post by Vince L. » May 8th, 2020, 4:08 pm

Was just told that California Marathon Orders will be shipping soon.

Yay
l e r t

David Buck

#7680 Post by David Buck » May 12th, 2020, 10:47 am

Today looks good...WE 95....for 28 bucks in for 4

Brittan Vineyards Pinot Noir Basalt Block 2016

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7681 Post by JonathanG » May 12th, 2020, 4:06 pm

Vince L. wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 4:08 pm
Was just told that California Marathon Orders will be shipping soon.

Yay
Awesome I was just about to ask if anyone heard anything. Hopefully they get it shipped before temps start going up in a couple weeks. Would be so nice if they could ship faster, I hate waiting over 2 months for stuff from them.
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

Vince L.

#7682 Post by Vince L. » May 12th, 2020, 4:32 pm

Last Friday they said all CA Marathon Orders have been processed. I asked because I specifically ask to have FedEx be the carrier but on the order history my marathon say shipped and links to GSO.

Hopefully FedEx comes pick them up soon
l e r t

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7683 Post by JeremyMullman » May 12th, 2020, 6:14 pm

Vince L. wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 4:32 pm
Last Friday they said all CA Marathon Orders have been processed. I asked because I specifically ask to have FedEx be the carrier but on the order history my marathon say shipped and links to GSO.

Just looked at my order history. It’s labeled “shipped,” but there’s no tracking link as yet.

David Buck

#7684 Post by David Buck » May 12th, 2020, 6:17 pm

JeremyMullman wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 6:14 pm
Vince L. wrote:

Just looked at my order history. It’s labeled “shipped,” but there’s no tracking link as yet.
Mine says "order pending shipping" guess they havent done me [pwn.gif]

Vince L.

#7685 Post by Vince L. » May 12th, 2020, 6:41 pm

David Buck wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 6:17 pm

Mine says "order pending shipping" guess they havent done me [pwn.gif]
Weird you would think they would CT before doing CA last as its the shortest transit time from their Napa Location.
l e r t

J. Rock

#7686 Post by J. Rock » May 12th, 2020, 6:45 pm

Vince L. wrote:

I love GSO. It's my favorite shipper. I'm surprised you like FedEx more.
J o r d a n

Vince L.

#7687 Post by Vince L. » May 12th, 2020, 6:52 pm

J. Rock wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 6:45 pm

I love GSO. It's my favorite shipper. I'm surprised you like FedEx more.
I live in a condo complex where they last left a package out side the front gate. This was after I called them on Friday night to ask if they were going to make their estimated delivery on Friday night (7pm already) & they said no they'll hold the package and re-attempt Monday. Thus I went out on Saturday only to come back and have my neighbor drop me a note saying there was a pkg left for me outside the front gate in the open that they grabbed for me.

I understand COVID19 and not physically signing, but leaving alcohol out in the open for anyone to grab is a no no to me.

Plus FedEx Delivery Mgr is a lot easier to get alerts and tracking then GSO...
l e r t

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7688 Post by JonathanG » May 12th, 2020, 10:41 pm

Just checked mine - all have a "track shipment" link, but haven't shipped. I suppose they box and label a bunch of them and then ship them all at the same time. And to be fair, they do say that Marathon shipments can take over a month. I'm just getting impatient for no good reason.
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

Vince L.

#7689 Post by Vince L. » May 12th, 2020, 10:48 pm

JonathanG wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 10:41 pm
Just checked mine - all have a "track shipment" link, but haven't shipped. I suppose they box and label a bunch of them and then ship them all at the same time. And to be fair, they do say that Marathon shipments can take over a month. I'm just getting impatient for no good reason.
My 2 times buying w/LastBottle was that I purchased on Sunday. Monday I would say shipped with GSO link. It would be scanned Thursday for delivery Friday.
I did buy something with FirstBottle and that got picked up today for Thursday delivery. I was hoping that they would've picked up at the same time since same pickup, same carrier & same destination lol. Oh well.
l e r t

P. Dias

#7690 Post by P. Dias » May 13th, 2020, 8:20 pm

Just received all but two bottles from the marathon. NYC
P e d r o

James Mc

#7691 Post by James Mc » May 16th, 2020, 2:10 pm

Anybody had the 2013 Nicolette Christopher cab?
M c c o r m i c k

ray ormand
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7692 Post by ray ormand » May 16th, 2020, 2:15 pm

Have not had it, but you can find some info here:http://www.napawineproject.com/nicolette-christopher/

David Buck

#7693 Post by David Buck » May 16th, 2020, 4:59 pm

Got my marathon order coming....have a track shipment now for friday 22nd...napa to CT....guess they dont ship marathon out of NY warehouse...

they didnt ask me about ice...hope it doesnt get too hot next week [dontknow.gif] ...

Vince L.

#7694 Post by Vince L. » May 16th, 2020, 5:01 pm

David Buck wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 4:59 pm
Got my marathon order coming....have a track shipment now for friday 22nd...napa to CT....guess they dont ship marathon out of NY warehouse...

they didnt ask me about ice...hope it doesnt get too hot next week [dontknow.gif] ...
Marathon all come out of their Napa Warehouse.
l e r t

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7695 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r » May 17th, 2020, 7:05 am

Just got my shipping notification for the marathon order to PA. It says it is shipping from Cobleskill, NY.

Vince L.

#7696 Post by Vince L. » May 17th, 2020, 7:05 am

Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 7:05 am
Just got my shipping notification for the marathon order to PA. It says it is shipping from Cobleskill, NY.
Interesting I read that all marathon comes out of napa
l e r t

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7697 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r » May 17th, 2020, 7:21 am

Vince L. wrote:
Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:
Maybe they cold chain shipped from napa to NY, and then handed over to UPS?

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7698 Post by mike pobega » May 17th, 2020, 7:37 am

Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 7:21 am
Vince L. wrote:
Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:
Maybe they cold chain shipped from napa to NY, and then handed over to UPS?
Yes.

J. Rock

#7699 Post by J. Rock » May 19th, 2020, 9:13 am

I have to admit, seeing the website say the status of my oder is "shipped" and not seeing the shipper receive the package yet is starting to drive me slightly nuts.
J o r d a n

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7700 Post by cjsavino » May 19th, 2020, 9:34 am

Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:
Lots of wine shipments go through there, not just LB
Chris

Return to “Wine Talk”