TN: 2005 Charles Joguet Chinon Clos de la Dioterie

• 2005 Charles Joguet Chinon Clos de la Dioterie - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (5/11/2011)
    Black core with a ruby rim. Appealing nose showing tobacco, black and dark red fruit and spicy aromas. Full bodied and absolutely delicious. Balanced wine with spicy black cherry, cassis and espresso along with earthy and leather notes. High acidity keeps all of this fruit in check. Massive tannic structure here. This has decades in front of it.

A Bordeaux lovers’ wine. If blind, I’d have guessed a high quality right bank wine. I’ve never tasted a Loire Cab Franc quite like this one even from this producer. Highly recommended!

Posted from CellarTracker

There was a brief discussion of the 2005 Joguet a week or so back–maybe you saw that.

Anyway, I have the 2005 Joguet Franc de Pied and I had the same general impression of a Right Bank Bordeaux. Extracted, backwards, with good depth, but also in need of some serious bottle age (just like a Bordeaux)…

Thanks for the note. An excellent wine by any measure.

Hi all. I’ve been following the posts for the last week and decided to chime in…I had a bottle of the 06 franc de pied (my first joguet) a few weeks back. Had been looking forward to trying out the producer but the wine was thin with harsh grainy tannins and disjointed acidity. Is this a common experience with these when young? should I expect it to come around?..very disappointing

The bottlings I’ve had this year are this 2005 which is exceptional, a 2006 Clos du Chene Vert which showed great potential, but was a bit backward with structure and a 2001 CdCV which was undrinkable due to Brett. I’ve had A Franc du Pied in the past, but I don’t recall it offhand. Are Loire reds your normal drink?

I don’t have a “lot” of experience with loire red but have been loving them over the last year. I’ve been drinking Breton, Filliatreau, and Baudry wines primarily and love the green/vegetal style. But I like the tension those wines have that I didn’t find in that Joguet

Nathn - The '05 does not drink that way at all. I have had it multiple times including shortly after release. An outstanding Chinon. While I have not had the '06 FDP, the way you describe it would not give me great hope for a turn-around. I have only had one '06 so far, a Joguet, and it was decent but not comparable to its '05 counterpart.