Air time for some 1995 Barolo

So… this Friday the wine group is tasting 95 Baroli. Our thought is to open them at noon or so, let them slow ox and then decant around 5 or 6pm (tasting starts at 7ish). WE did this for some 1996 red Burgs and they showed quite well. I’ve not touched a 95 Barolo in a long time - any insight into whether this much air is enough? too much? Too little?

The '96 and '97 Barolo that I’ve had recently were much better the next day than the day they were opened. The difference was unlike anything I’ve experienced with any other variety. Every bottle of wine is unique, of course, and I have no experience with Barolo from the '95 vintage, but an extra long decant may not be a bad idea.

I would slow O from breakfast,Rick…but which wines are slated for the evening?

Some nice wines… nothing silly amazing, but…

Aldo Conterno Granbussia’
G Mascarello ‘Monprivato’
Capellano
Elio Altare ‘Arborina’
Elio Altare ‘Brunate’
Luciano Sandrone ‘Le Vigne’
Prunotto ‘Bussia’
Prunotto ‘Cannubi’
B. Mascarello

That’s a very good selection. I think Bill’s recommendation is on target.

I agree, and I also think you’re down-playing some awesome wines here. “Nothing silly amazing”, I’d be interested to know what you silly amazing list would look like. [cheers.gif]

Thanks all…

And Eric - it is a good selection. I just meant there’s nothing monumental like Giacosa red labels, etc in there.

There are no Giacosa red labels in 1995. The only wines I would expect to be much over $100 at this point would be the Monfortino and the Ca d’Morissio from G. Mascarello, both of which are really too young now. A Giacosa white label would be good to add, if possible.

If only we could… none in our cellars, sadly.

I went to a lovely wine dinner in March where we were blind-tasting two bottles of 98 Barolo, identical except one had been slow-oxed and one was pop-and-pour. I couldn’t pick out the slow-ox one, and if there was any difference it was miniscule.

Not to say that slow-oxing doesn’t work… it might be very good for very old bottles. But I’m no longer concerned about slow-ox on my young or medium-aged barolos.

I’m somewhat with you Ashish… we usually pour off a small taste and then decant 2-3 hours before the start of the tasting. I’ve been bitten too many times by the “last glass is the best” syndrome to do the pop and pour thing.

1995 was the last year when the grapes from Le Rocche di Falletto went into the Giacosa white label. That, in part, contributes to its yumminess.

Rick - 1995 Cappellano Gabutti can take, and needs, a lot of air. I’ve had bottles that took 2 days to open. The 1995 Pie Franco is labelled as such, but the Rupestris bottling is labelled Otin Fiorin (Gabutti), with no mention of Rupestris. Same goes for the labels on 1996 Cappellano barolos.
You have a great lineup for this '95 event.

Ken, you didn’t mention the Cascina Francia. That would be a great addition Rick, drinking now and, as you know, at a price substantially below the Monfortino.

I would think about giving a least a few a full blown 5+ hour decant. Maybe slow ox 1/2 and fully decant the other 1/2 and see what shows better. Would be best of course if you had 2 bottles of each to see what happens, but of course that isn’t going to happen. At the very least, I would try to keep the remnants of a few bottles until the next day to compare. I have found a lot of Barolo this age can be very good, but almost always is better left in the cellar for a few years. Good luck, sounds like a great line-up.

Forgive me Giacomo, for I have sinned . . . blush

DAMMIT!!!

I’ll have to live without the CF this time… if you’d only mentioned it. (sobs…)

These are all from the cellars of various folks in the group so we’ll have a chance to try them again in another few years.

Rick, hard to believe that none of us have '95 Francia … how did we miss that year?

As the person who will be doing the work (Rick is the brains, I’m the brawn), has anyone experienced any downside to drinking these wines with many hours of decanting? Based on the above, I’m leaning towards a decant 2-3 hours before the tasting.

It wasn’t in the Da Vino sale… :slight_smile:

I agree with Ken…and a 95 Falletto would be a great entry.Won’t break the bank and drinking nicely now.

I think you may be disappointed with this regime.
I would slow O as recommended,but taste 2 hours before and then decant in a carafe as needed.
IMO,best to make full decanting decisions near to the actual drinking…