OMFG: an evening of wines to die for

A very (and I mean very) generous friend and his wife hosted a wine dinner for 14 people at his house. All the wines were from his cellar. These are wines I dream about (and read about) but never actuallly get to drink myself. What an honour. No spitting, no scoring just endless smiles and lots of sighing and moaning. A true embarassment of riches.

1982 Salon: dark yellow, old champagne maderized nose, still bright in the mouth with good acidity. 2nd bottle similar but fresher tasting. Very good but a little tired.
1996 Coche Dury Mersault Perrieres: Mid yellow, nutty intense deep bouquet following great super concentrated palate. Super depth and length. Lived up to the hype, a class above all other white burgs I have tried
1993 Ponsot CDLR: Lovely mature perfumed nose. Elegant silky balanced delicate, great red fruits. Wonderful and drinking beautifully.
1982 Mouton Rothschild: Very exotic nose, ripe long intense, youthful with tannic grip, amazing
1982 Pichon Lalande (magum): Incredibly beautiful fragrant nose, crisp and delicious, perfect balance and length. Excellent.
1982 La Mission Haut Brion: 1st bottle corked, another was produced. Tobacco and wet stones on nose, lovely fully mature graves, long finish. Almost excellent.
1982 Talbot: Meaty nose, rich concentrated palate with v. good fruit. Not at all embarrassed in the flight. Very Good
1982 Cheval Blanc: Fragant nose with some exotic notes, complete and fully mature, nice finish. In the shade of the Latours. Very Good.
1982 Latour: Wonderful nose, fantastic intensity, endless fruit, smooth resolved tannins, endless length & balance. For me utter perfection. Beyond Excellent.
1961 Latour: My first bottle of the famous wine. What a treat, great colour and fill level. Amazingly youthful, did not appear significantly more mature than then 1982. Must be immortal. Great fruit, amazing full bodied but with perfect balance. Perfection x2
1929 Latour: Suspiciously high fill and dark colour. Must be a re-conditioned bottle. Had spiky acidity poking through the sweet fruit. Cannot possibly be original bottling. Good.
1975 Yquem: Dark yellow/orange colour. Luscious ripe intense, a beauty to drink and enjoy. Excellent
1963 Taylors: Pale red, lovely sweet fruit with spirit notes and some spice. Great finish. Wonderful end to the evening

Still smiling (and dreaming). What an amazing line up

Brodie

Mixing in the right circles… and you want to come back to NZ. rolleyes

Wow

Faack Brodie, that’s my dream tasting…thanks for reminding me how ordinary I am.

Hi Mike - yes, still planning to come back! In fact will be back at the end of July, hope you will be around…

Brodie

Sneak into that cellar and plunder a 61 [berserker.gif]

Steve - it was a dream tasting and not ordinary thats for sure. I kept asking myself - “how did I manage to get an invite”…

My regular wine world does not look anything like this line up. The host has the bottles and wanted to share them with people who would fully appreciate them. I can say they were appreciated all right…

Brodie

Nice.