TN: 99 G. Roumier 1er Cru Morey St Denis Bussiere

Opened last night with dinner while dining with Dick & Carollee Krueger. Opened about 6:15P for a quick taste. Dense and in need of air. Also needed to warm a bit as my cellar is about 51F this time of year. Poured about 3oz into 4 glasses (one for a friend who was hanging around) and let them sit, some swirling. Entrees about 7PM.

This wine is dense, it isn’t unforgiving but it isn’t “pretty”. Lots of structure, great fruits, but tight as a drum. It slowly opened, and upon our leaving our friend still had some and said it was finally singing.

I think it will be a superb wine in time.

So I’m going to wait another 5 years I think on this one before trying again.

Just checking in here?
[stop.gif]

Thanks for opening! I find the Bussiere can be disappointing compared to the Chambolle Musigny that is superb vintage after vintage. But I would never turn down a Roumier…

Let me know when I can open one for you.

Agreed…I would suggest trying out the 88’s (MSD) if youve got them. They seem ready to go versus the other 88 Roumiers.

I just posted on this wine this morning. I’ll repeat the note here for those interested. While this did not seem like a pristine bottle, I can at least confirm that this is a dense and “not pretty” wine at this stage of the game.

1999 Domaine G. Roumier Morey St Denis 1er Cru Clos de la Bussiere. The nose here is rather discrete and tight for the most part, providing occasional glimpses into some interesting sous bois character and black raspberry fruit. Later on, it gets a bit more expressive as it folds in some aromas of suede and melted dark caramel, though it stays pretty dark and murky. On the palate, something is just not right. The wine feels flat, with no lift to it and really no sense of charm. What is there is dark, cool and earthy, but pretty one-dimensional. That is especially the case on the rather pinched and almost non-existent finish. The texture manages to show off a nice velvety feel, but that is really the best one can say about this bottle. I took the leftovers home to my in-laws the next day and none of them wanted to drink more than a sip, so I feel pretty safe in saying this could not have been a good example of this wine.

Looks like we could have saved each other if only one of us had opened it a week before. Oh well… more in the cellar resting peacefully.

Thanks! Come to Los Angeles…

Every June for the Playboy Jazz Fest. I could come more often…
[cheers.gif]

I see! If you’re here in June let me know will drink some Roumier.

Tix bought already. I’m there. [highfive.gif] Dinners Thurs, Fri and Sat in the works. [dance2.gif] Maybe Monday as well.

Crayon (pencils are for sissies) me in.

Sounds good!!!

Any one got a lead on where to find some of this? Sadly, it’s probably triple the release price. This is always a good QPR wine, the 2001 and 2002 were sick on release.