TN: 2003 A. Rousseau Mazy-Chambertin

Popped and poured, enjoyed over 3 hours. A truly hedonistic Burgundy, but I think that’s more of the vintage than the wine. There is a lot of ripeness happening, but it’s somehow not out of balance, perhaps a nod to the winemaker. A big fruit structure, dark cherries, black raspberries. No secondary flavors here, just pure fruits. There were touches of red fruits here, but this wine was overly dominated by black fruits. Not showing any alcoholic qualities. I haven’t had much 2003 Burgundies because I thought that I wouldn’t like them, this is a very nice wine and was a pleasure to drink, but I’m not sure I would want it in my cellar (to age that is).

Thanks John.

Thanks for the note!

I enjoy the 2003 Burgundies—we tasted 03 GC burgs in a Grand Jury Europeen a few years back, and I thought they were showing quite beautifully. Not the stereotype of the “California-like” wines I had heard about. As one senior member said “I’d be happy to have 75% of these in my cellar” and I had to agree.

I love Rousseau and appreciated the note.

Michael,

Thanks for the note.

I have some 2003 Ponsot Clos de la Roche which is really excellent. Different type of Burgundy however.
I am hoping it will turn into something special with time.

John LIotta has a huge stash of these Rousseaus!

not a wine I cellar or want, but the data point is appreciated!
alan

thanks for the note. 03s can be interesting. Tasted outside of a vertical, they can be appealing at times with the lushness and forwardness. Stacked alongside a vertical, they can’t stand up to 02, 01, 99, 96, and others imho.