Quick TNs - '91 La Tache, '99 Ponsot CSD, '06 Colin Morey St

These are just some quick notes from memory. Is there a Burg crowd here?

’99 Ponsot Clos St Denis-
Home run hitter (and occasional strikeout king) Ponsot seems to have connected here. Amazingly pure and complex with endless depth and elegance. This wine is completely naked and but so perfect and complete that I wouldn’t want it any other way. Drinking great with a long future.

’91 DRC La Tache-
After a grumpy 10 years or so, this has finally awakened and at age 18 it has become yet another great La Tache. Spicy, powerful and amazingly complex. Decanting is still a good idea.

’06 Colin Morey St. Aubin en Remilly-
White Burgundy doesn’t get any better than this for $32. This is a fantastic mineral driven laser beam that is terrific for lunch. Since I no longer buy white burgundy for cellaring, drinking this wine young is a great alternative. The '07 is even better.

Great to hear about the Ponsot.
Thanks!

have had 91 LT only a couple times and, sadly, never bought any. The data points are appreciated–glad to see 99 starting to open up and good to see you here, too.
alan

Kevin, thanks for the great tasting notes. I have been drinking Marc Colin St Aubins going back to the '97 vintage and have been drinking the En Remilly releases since the '00 vintage pretty regularly. I’ve wondered on occasion about the Colin-Morey from the same site and it sure sounds like it is worth seeking out! They are pretty much in the same price range, aren’t they?

-Michael

I think so. I usually see the C-M en remilly for $30-$40.

Yes, I’m here Kevin. [cheers.gif]

Jk, I think there are burg lovers here, I know LMD, Michael Bowden, Manlin and others enjoy them. Would love to have you Alan W and Jeremy H contribute notes.

maybe not a crowd, but at least a small coterie–and we are listening.
alan

Tasting all of the 07 and 08 Marc Colin wines (minus the 07 Montrachet), the En Remilly was clearly the St Aubin that played at the Chassagne level. I won’t say that it was as good as Champs-Gains or Caillerets, but it was closer to those in quality and character than to the rest of the St Aubin lineup, yet still priced as a St Aubin, the clear QPR winner in the Marc Colin lineup in my opinion.

The only 1991 that I recall having was the 91 comte armand pommard epeneaux…quite dusty and rustic…perhaps just the fact that its Pommard…was/is this a vintage characteristic or just comte armand/pommard?

Indeed, we’re here.

I’ve only had the '91 La Tache once. A friend gave it to me as a gift back in the late 1990’s, at a time the '91’s were considered only a “fair or mediocre” vintage. I drank it way too early. I wish I had that bottle around right about now. Thanks for the note–I re-experienced it vicariously.

I love Colin’s whites… They are really great and good QPR.

Thanks for the notes, Kevin!

91 tache as a gift in the 80’s…was his name Rudy? [berserker.gif]

I think they are a good QPR at the lower appellations but when it comes to Meursault, Puligny and Grand Cru the QPR is not good at all. $100 and in many cases higher for the 1er Cru’s.

I prefer the wines from Marc Colin over Pierre-Yves Colin Morey.

Oops…I mean mid to late 90’s. (Funny!) It actually is a funny story. It was a gift from the actress Lily Tomlin, who was a cousin of my then partner. She knew I was into wine, and went to The Wine Merchant in BH and asked them for a suggestion of a wine as a gift to someone into wine. That was the wine they suggested she buy.

It was a lot less money back then, and remember, the 1991 vintage for burgundy at that time was viewed as a sleeper vintage.

'91 La Tache delivers the best bang for the $ for any La Tache.

Great notes! I’ve never had a 91’ Burg and have a few waiting for consumption. What vintage would you compare it to say in the last 10 years?

I’m with you on buying white Burg’s only for drinking… I’m over the premox surprise in the bottle!

Maybe 1998 (close to your 10 year request anyway), or even 2001. Others’ thoughts on this?

Damn that sounds good ont he White Burg. I think I know what I need to have with dinner!

Me either except for a very small amount of Leflaive. :frowning:

Funny you should mention that Ed, I was thinking about that 01 Leflaive we drank at Salumi. Yum.

Leflaive: the heroine of white wines…