TN: Pierre Boniface 2007 Apremont

Wines like these always take me back to my early days of loving wine, when I could afford very little, yet managed to plumb the corners of the French countryside to find lovely wines of soul and character.

This is from the Savoie region of France, and made from the Jacquere grape. It always strikes me as France’s answer to Gavi (though I’m sure the French would cry foul at one of their wines “answering” to anything Italian). It has a minerally nose with a beautiful play of fresh citrus aromas. I love the way this tastes and feels, with fresh acidity spinning the flavors outwards, and all the while there’s more richness and depth than one typically associates with such a crisp wine.

Should be out there for $10-$15. This will be on the “house wine” rotation for the summer.

Jim, I love note like these, insights into little-known or underappreciated regions and grapes. I’ve never even heard of Jacquere before! Sounds like an interesting wine, and the price is certainly right. Thanks for posting.

Apremont is delicious. Goes totally under the radar but awesome.

Thanks for the note Jim. Garagiste has sold the Jean Masson Apremonts for the past couple years and I’ve bought a few. Very good under the radar wines.