TN: 2000 Château Ducru-Beaucaillou (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien)

I’ve purchased several bottles of the 2000 Ducru-Beaucaillou over the years, and decided that it was time to pop the cork and check in on its development. I’m sure glad I did; what a wonderful wine!

• 2000 Château Ducru-Beaucaillou - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (4/9/2011)
    In a word, this wine was sensational, and will surely age and improve for at least 20 years. I decanted this wine, and immediately poured a small amount for evaluation. A youthful purple-ruby core, turning towards ruby-red at the rim; no signs of garnet. The aromatics of this wine were striking – they popped from the glass like a Halladay fastball – with aromas of spicy black fruits (boysenberry and blackberry) and over time, additional notes of vanilla and crushed rocks emerged. Equally impressive on the palate, with good grip and structure, ripe and velvety tannins, and a 40+ second finish. Great today, but I imagine this will chase perfection circa 2020. (96 pts.)

In case you were wondering, yes, I was watching the Phillies while I composed the tasting note :slight_smile:

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the TN. I collect Ducru and it sounds like it would be a treat to open a 2000 soon.

Thanks for the TN. I also collect ducru and glad to see that the 2000 impressed you. I haven’t tried the 2000 yet, but sure looking forward to it. Thanks

er, edited a bit by me!