Lot18 master thread (vouchers, credits, shipments, wines)

With all these voucher file sales going on lately, I’ve managed to accumulate about $400 worth of Lot18 credits. Now, partly because I am a fiscal disaster, and partly because I am slightly concerned that Lot18’s promotional giveaways are unsustainable, I’ve got the burning desire to spend these might quick. This week I picked up 4 x 2007 JC Cellars Eaglepoint Petites (net $12.60/btl), and 4 x 2008 La Fenetre Sierra Madre Pinots (net $12/btl). These seem to me to be some of the most interesting wines to pop up lately, and based on how long I’ve been following Lot18 (basically since its inception), I am not entirely optimistic that anything much better will come around. Anyone else spend their voucher $$ yet? Should I be more patient?

cheers,
scott

I bought 2 x 2007 Volta Cab. I had the '06 and really enjoyed it so I took a chance.

I’m pretty close to where you are. I’m holding out a but because every so often they have some pretty interesting wines. They had some higher priced cabs recently that were quite nice. Also liked a couple of offerings from DeLille Cellars.

That said, I also worry that they have an unsustainable business model (though I have no idea how much they might make on straight sales – they basically act as a middleman for the wineries, so presumably they get pure profit). I imagine that they consider the promos as marketing and will reduce them greatly once they achieve a certain sales volume.

Just used my coupon for the first time to buy some JC cellars. One of the WineBerserkers coupons did not work and I sent them an email. Email was returned within 10 seconds by Josh Mohrer and credit was added to my account. I am very impressed.

Another thing I noticed is that any label that I have heard of seems to get snapped up within minutes of being offered.

I also have $400-ish credits at Lot18, but I’m starting to wonder how likely it is that I will be able to use them for anything that I have heard of or tasted before.

I’ve got a bunch as well and can’t seem to find anything to pull the trigger on.
Even at way reduced costs, I just don’t want to buy stuff I don’t have any interest in drinking.
We’ll see…

Me four. I’m keeping an eye out for some summertime drinkers (light whites, a rose, etc.). Would love to take a risk on an interesting white for $15/bottle. No real need for more big reds in my cellar right now… especially for something I know nothing about.

I’m a dirty dirty liar! I have the '05 Volta at home. Just checked. This was the one rated 92 by Laube FWIW. [cheers.gif]

I would be patient. It seems to have been a less than optimal set of offerings over the last week or so, but as mentioned above, there have been some REALLY good wines that have come up. I wouldn’t worry about sustainability just yet as they got $3mm in VC investment at the end of last year. While not an endless supply of $$$ they will be around for a bit…

I am still waiting for the right wine (although I purchased the Chianti), and here is my general critieria:
Price range: Looking for good QPR, $20 - $30 price point per bottle
Rating: Looking for 91 - 94 pt rated by one of the major publications, Robert Parker, Wine Spectator, Wine Enthusiast

Some recent examples: Marimar Pinot, L’Ecole Cab, OlsonOgden Unti Syrah, Sokol Blosser Pinot, and others

Lot18.com Referral Invite Link: http://www.lot18.com/i/MemberRegistration

$3million won’t last long with all those free and half price vouchers, methinks. From a purely business- specific outlook, and considering the thin margins and increasing cost and hassle of shipping, I don’t see the positives as those who funded it must have. Consumers will appreciate their fantastic customer service, but will they continue to buy when the vouchers are gone? If the deals keep flowing, perhaps, but if they are matched elsewhere, what is the distinguishing characteristic of their model over Cinderella, WTSO, Prince of Wine, etc? Mega kudos for raising that much capital on a freaking retail model (unheard of in recent past) - I’m certainly jealous of that. I just don’t see the successful business model or eventual buyout possibilities, as it is a retail outlet

Glad you got some Volta. By the time I received the email (2pm EDT), it was all gone. I wonder why there is such a huge time difference in when the emails went out. Perhaps you just wandered on to the site and found the Volta - or did you get the email earlier in the day?

I go on the site in the morning before the emails go out… when I remember. But I got the email at 1:41PM and I had already ordered at 10AM.

email said they had 50 cases and it looks like it sold out in about three hours

who here really believes they moved 50 cases so quickly?

Frankly, I’m really surprised the Volta went that fast. I thought about it, but they don’t have much of a track record (other than Laube’s 92pt rating on the '05, if his opinion matters to you), and CA cab even from the much-ballyhooed 2007 vintage just ain’t my bag. Anyway, I was much more intrigued by the La Fenetre pinot, although this only has a 5-year track record, but seems to be aiming for a style (ABC-like) that appeals to me.

Maybe I should be more patient, as $3M is a fair chunk of change, but if they sell 1500 vouchers at a $45 loss every time, this puts a pretty big dent in their revenue methinks. But there have been some more intriguing wines lately (Core’s 2007 Hard Core today is an example), though the spring shipping window is closing fast. Wonder what they’ll do in the summer, as their T&C doesn’t mention anything about holds or options other than ground shipping. I’m still inclined to spend what I have before the warm weather hits…

I just grabbed 4 bottles of the the 2007 Core Hard Core.

Richard Jennings has two notes on this wine on CT; both sound great. With all the free vouchers lately this probably cost me next to nothing.

Just got an email that they are offering 2007 Core Hard Core 2-pack for $39.99. This is good wine and a great price.

Dammit Sherri, you just pushed me over the edge. I noticed this on their site this morning and let it ruminate throughout the day, but after yours and Tyler’s posts, I could resist no more. So POOF, my vouchers are history. Here’s hoping Lot18 only offers swill until the next voucher promotion hits. [cheers.gif]

I bought some of the Chianti. I too had concerns with the sustainability of this system.

Finally spent some credits today on the 2008 Ketcham RRV Pinot.

I picked up the hard core based on folks comments and previous WA rating. Seems like it will be good for grilling season. I also grabbed the Ravenswood single vineyard Zin trio today. Lot18 has not had solid Zin offerings very often…