And so it Continues. Cellar Construction.

Not sure April 1 was the best time to start my wine cellar construction. Within moments of the first wall being bashed down the power went out. Granted no one was using electricity to bash the walls so the bashing continued. I however, now have a Cellar project AND a major power renovation going on at the house. Joy!

Ok, back to the topic:

Is on its way to turning into:

More than happy to post photos as it goes. Complete photos, etc. Are on my Twitter and FB pages.

Leslie

You know, since you have that one room down to stud and are doing work on the electrical system, you really should go ahead and redo all the bathrooms and kitchen. neener

Projects… they creep like creatures in the night.

(faints)

Luckily, the house had a major reno July 09 when I moved in. New kitchen and somewhat remodel of the bathrooms.

I knew the electrical was an issue. Just wish it would have waited for another time lose its marbles.

What is your bottle capacity going to be? Looks like a cool project!

Also, any decisions on cooling yet? My ‘cellar’ just got final sheetrock/mud placed yesterday. Time to think about racks and cooling for me now.

You may be a little late on the cooling. Any through-the-wall unit needs to be provided for when the framing is done.

Bob - not a problem, we’ve accommodated for that. I have zero experience with wine cooling but have considered a nice ‘retrofitted’ unit from Sears or similar to something more down the line of a Whisperkool or Breezaire.

My space is under 300 cu ft. Seems a bit smaller then Leslie’s.

Very cool project. Congrats!

That is such awesome statement, for any DYI that hits home. lol

My unit is in the racking and now when I look at where the studs are I am happy it is. Really do not want to mess with the framing any more than necessary.

I will find out the name of the cooler tomorrow. It showed up yesterday and is in my garage. Its my one risk. Its a not as known brand, but, the racking company I am using swears by them and the racking company has been really great to work with so far.

The cellar will hold about 2275 bottles.

So happy to see this has finally become a reality! Good luck with the project, Leslie, and keep us posted.

So where will you put the rest of your bottles?

[snort.gif]

I was thinking your place. Actually, was hoping you could put your extra bottles at my place and politely lose track of them :slight_smile:

Here is the link to the cooling system. I have the 3600

http://www.winecellarrefrigerationsystems.com/products/rm-series.aspx

I am happy as well! Just wish the electrical could have waited a bit.

Will keep you posted indeed. Next big push is Monday. Hope they get a lot done before I head off to AZ next week.

Leslie

Remember the 80/20 rule of construction projects…the first 20% of the Project takes 80% of the budget, and the last 80% of the project takes 80% of the budget… [cry.gif]

[rofl.gif]

Good luck with the project! Please keep us in the loop (especially with pictures).

You’re in SoCal - may we assume that most [if not all?] of those beams and studs are Redwood?

If so, then that will go a long way towards slowing the rot, but boy-oh-boy, if you were on the East Coast, and if [therefore] those studs and beams were Pine, then I’d be seriously urging you to look into framing with some pressure-treated wood [as a barrier to help protect the white wood].

And don’t fool yourself - even Redwood will rot eventually.

So [as always] be absolutely certain that you have done your homework on your moisture-management strategy.

Because - trust me - you do NOT want to deal with rot in walls.

It will absolutely RUIN your entire life [says the voice of experience].

No. Even when Leslie’s house was built, redwood was far too expensive to use for framing in most cases. It’s most likely Douglas fir, hemlock or hemfir. As for moisture . . . well, we’re talking a place with an average annual rainfall of around 15 inches.

Photo from yesterdays work

Old termite damage on the window frame. I asked them to reframe for a window just to play it safe.

Plan for Monday is removing the window and putting in the plastic.