Your top 5 2008 Oregon Pinots ( price excluded)

Hey all-

Living here in Omaha Nebraska and wondering what the rest of the world likes in the 2008 OR pinot class.

My top 5

Beaux Freres hillside
Ken Wright Cellars - Abbott Claim Vineyard
Domaine Droaghin
Penner Ash Dussard
Ken Wright - Carter

Lets get this conversation rollin!

Cheers !

Due to the structured nature of this vintage this thread will be more relevant in 5 plus years.

Of the stuff in my cellar that is untasted I would say St. Innocent Shea Special Selection.

Favorite- St Innocent Temperance Hill

Others in no particular order:

Evesham Wood Cuvee J
Evesham Wood Illahe
Evesham Wood Le Puits Sec
Scott Paul Dom Denise
Roots Appoloni Vineyard
J Christopher WV
Cameron Dundee Hills

Agreed, but in the retail fine dining industry and im finding people are drinking them now. So wanted to see what I should be selling!

Cheers

Matt,

I see you only have 5 posts, the board rules ask that you put ITB in your sig. Just FYI.

Let’s just say my top five have nothing in common with yours. newhere

Ill check into the signature, I just joined the site today. I really am interested in your likes and dislikes. Omaha is a very tough market and really good wine seems to only exist in small circles. So the wines you all love/hate is interesting to me and can only help me learn more.

Archery Summit Red Hills Estate
Ayoub Estate
Colene Clemens Reserve
Lachini Cuvee Giselle
Sokol-Blosser Big Tree Block

I’m just following Bob Wood and Rich Trimpi around to see what they buy.

Why not name yours, Bob, and enlighten the rest of the board? newhere

OK, I’ll play.

no order
2008 Cameron clos
2008 Matello whistling ridge
2008 Crowley Gherts
2008 EW La Grieve Bleue
2008 Roots 49 Rows

just retried the 08 JK pinot and was in a good spot. Westrey also made a good set.

I figure Rich will do it for me. [snort.gif]

Picking 5 from a vintage loaded with fantastic wines is tough – especially since I’ve only tasted a tiny fraction of the wines. A few of these there is none left to be had unless you can convince someone to let a bottle go from their cellar.

Not in any particular order:

Matello Souris
Cameron Clos Electrique
Kelley Fox Maresh
Belle Pente Murto
Scott Paul La Paulee

5 is pretty tough as there are lots of great wines – Kelley Fox Momtazi, Brickhouse Boulder Block, Ayoub Memoirs, Crowley Gherts, Scott Paul Audrey, … Just not much left in the channel. There are a few not yet released – such as Eyrie Reserve & Hamacher – so it’s not entirely too late to buy in.

Scott Paul Audrey
Roco Private Stash
Arterberry Maresh - Maresh Vineyard
St Innocent - White Rose
Patricia Green - Balcombe

Domaine Droaghin?

Travis, I like your Crowley 08 pick. The Gehrts and Collina are lovely. Several other good ones mentioned already. Tough vintage to be declaring top 5s. Many are wound so tight that predicting the best is more speculative than usual. Summary judgement will be incomplete until trying the 08 BP Estate Reserve.

Your turn Bob. [cheers.gif]

RT

I haven’t opened many 2008s - too busy drinking through 2003s and 2006s. That said, the 2008 Brick House Evelyn’s is superb.

I don’t get it. There is no friggin way to know. Ten years from now, maybe. I can understand a question about top 5 under $25 efforts. But this is in plain and simple wanking IMHO.
I would really like to hear from the OP-why the question? Is it because you hope to buy more or because you are proud of what you already chose to buy, or simply to talk about '08 Oregon pinot?

Read the OP’s reply in post #4 above.

Thanks Chad. Sounds like people in Omaha are willing to shell out some bucks for Oregon pinot with their steaks. I imagine the OP’s list all sell for around $100 in a restaurant, the BF $150.
I would suggest that he add Dusky Goose and Shea Wine Cellars to the list. The Dusky Goose should go over well. Could probably charge a Benjamin and a half for that too. Sorry if I sound bitter this morning.

What makes OR Pinot special? We regularly and often talk about the best wines from a Bdx or Burg vintage knowing full well that they are expected to be aged for significant time as well as plenty that will be consumed earlier in restaurants or ‘just to check in on them.’ Why act as if OR is an exception to this?

Bob - way to be a dick to a new poster. Your ‘I know more than you do, ha ha ha ha’ represents WB so well. Well done.

A.