Corkscrew Review: Code 38 Pro

Corkscrew Review: Code 38 Pro

When I first saw the Code 38 corkscrew, I could tell it was something special, something built from the philosophy of “form follows function”. They look as much engineered as they do artistic. Being a corkscrew “power user,” I had to give one a whirl, and see if it performed up to the promise of the design.

I’ve been using the Code 38 Pro, which is the second tier model from the four tier lineup offered by Jeff Toering, the designer and builder of the Code 38. He hand assembles each of these from his home in Byron Bay, Australia. Like wine which I appreciate coming from and expressing a particular place and culture, so to I think it’s cool that the Code 38 springs from the mind and hands of one man. Bonus points for that!

From a design standpoint, the Code 38 Pro is gorgeous. The lines are clean, purposeful, and elegant, and the garnet blasted, PVD finished body feels great to touch and has a luxurious, satin sheen. I think it’s a rival to the most beautiful Forge de Lagioule corkscrews, which with their wood, horn, or acrylic side panel inserts have a more classical elegance compared to the modern, almost Teutonic aesthetic of the Code 38. Continuing the analogy, the Code 38 is the Porsche to Forge’s Ferrari!

In terms of performance, the Code 38 excels. First, the knife is a slightly curved, plain edge, which is great because it can be sharpened. Better yet, it can be extended quickly with one hand, which is something no other corkscrew I’m aware of (that’s currently available) can boast. It’s shape and handiness makes it a serviceable tool for cutting open wine boxes and the like.

I’ve pulled natural corks, agglomerates, and extruded synthetics (no molded ones, yet) so far, and the tool did the jobs efficiently and comfortably. The wide, stainless body is rigid and gently contoured; comfortable to torque on. The geometry is excellent, so the cork comes up straight and easily. It’s a single stage lever design, so you need to employ proper technique to maximize it, but with that, the pulls are powerful, fluid, and very quick. This model has a grooved helix.

The cap opener I have not used, but that it’s integrated into the body and has two, spaced tines that have curved tips to meet the contour of the cap suggests that it should be a quick, one-shot open, with no worries of the tines losing their purchase during the pry.

In all, I’ve gotta call this the finest corkscrew I’ve ever seen or used. It’s simply the best combination of style, quality, and performance that I’ve come across. Sure, their are plenty of tools to get corks out, but if you’re a sommelier or someone who needs a durable, handsome, and excellent performing portable corkscrew, this can’t be beat. If you appreciate those things, too, then the $245 asking price should be a no-brainer, as you can pay more for a corkscrew that delivers less. Definitely a Holy Grail for those into corkscrews!

http://www.code-38.com is the source.

1 Like

Wait…
Havent we
Been There
Done That?? pileon

Cheers
Rip

No, I don’t think so…at least I’m not aware of anyone else here having reported on actually using–or even touching-- one.

We did have a bunch of people loudly pronounce that it was out of their price range, but that’s different… and this thread is not really for them, but rather for those interested in corkscrews, and in particular, for those curious whether the Code 38 measures up to its promise.

lol

Im sorry but $245 for a corkscrew is laughable

I dont think I could go through enough $5 pulltaps in my lifetime that would justify the purchase of a corkscrew this expensive.

Brilliant. Hopefully you’ll be the only Scrooge to decry what a waste of a fortune this tool is. Listen, you–and many others–are in a different league, I get that. And I’m fine with it.

Personally, I won’t use a Pulltap given a decent option, so I give 'em out to the college girls waiting tables around here. They love 'em, because they can’t operate a single lever wine key with competence. Nor do they care to.

Cartailler Deluc. $30 from Amazon. 5-turn teflon coated worm. Can’t beat it for function, reliability, durability, or price. I own some fancy (expensive) corkscrews, but never use them.

if a scrooge is someone who points out the idiocy of a $245 corkscrew then yes, I am a scrooge. I can understand the people who spend money on collectors corkscrews but this one does not seem to fit that bill. It pulls a cork out of a bottle, simple as that.

That actually is a pretty good wine key! I have some of those, and aside from the general low quality–lever pivot slops out, helix bends, spring slacks–the body is narrow and bites on my hand. For cracking a bottle or two, I can live with it, and I even used one when I was a somm, but really only because it had a wildly colorful design and I didn’t have anything better. But generally speaking, a good tool, and way better than a Pulltap.

Oh, I think it’s collectible, too: low production (only about 100 across the globe), hand assembled by one man, unique design…if it isn’t collectible now, I’d wager it will be. Heck, look at the old Kershaw Sommelier wine key; lots of people clamoring for that. I got into a bidding war on eBay over one with some dude from the Squire’s board a few years ago, and it went for more than it did new! I didn’t win it, BTW. I don’t know production details but I’d be surprised if those were made in such limited quantities as the Code 38.

Am I the only one here who likes Pulltaps? The serrated blade works, the corkscrew slides right into the cork smoothly, the cork pulls out well with the two step level system. As a bonus, it’s cheap! I’ve actually been impressed? Much better for me than the Rabbit, those stupid circular foil cutters, or those frustrating small-sized winged-lever corkscrews.

Interestingly enough, since our last debate on this I’ve asked 3 different professional sommeliers about this corkscrew and they all laughed at the thought of spending that much on a corkscrew. The common response was that they could get a simple double step corkscrew for 1/10th of the price and replace it 10 times over the next 10 years and still be better off…

Sorry Chaad, you are obviously much cooler then the rest of us… Enjoy your toy…

c’mon now!

you should know that pulltaps are for giving to college girls and people like yourself that are too incompetent to use a single lever wine key

[snort.gif]

Oh, don’t get me wrong…I like Pulltaps in the same way that I’d say I like Haribo gummi bears, but I just wouldn’t jump into a conversation about haute cuisine trying to compare the relative merits of Harbo gummi bears to Pop Rocks and Lemonheads. Different things, those.

Solid. Have you surveyed three Ford Focus drivers to see if they plan to buy a Ferrari? You might be able get an honorary Ph.d with such compelling inquiries.

Wow, a genuine corkscrew snob – this is a new level of geekiness.

No, I love them too but I am in a “different league.” One occupied by “college girls waiting tables.”

Oh man, this thread’s gonna be great!!

Count me as another devotee of the two-step corkscrew. What’s the argument why these are NOCD again?

Man, tough crowd. There is something to be said for an expensive corkscrew. I have a fancy Laguiole one that really does work quite well. However, like most other people here, the one that gets used the most and works the best is the cheap, 2-step pulltap. I have a whole bunch of them around.

[cheers.gif]

Hmmmmm…a corkscrew that displays terroir. Fascinating concept and takes terroir to a whole nuther level.

I need a car to get from my home into the office and back again. For me, my Dodge Caravan does that task perfectly well. For Federico, his yellow Ferrari does the
same thing in (usually) the same amount of time. If his Ferrari gives Federico a nice/warm/fuzzy feeling (which my Dodge Caravan does not for me), I’m all for that.
Makes him an easier person to deal with at work. I’m certain the Code 38 must do the same for you at work. I’m all for that.

The screw is not teflon-coated, which usually seem to drive into the cork easier (least I notice that on my ScrewPull when the teflon wears off).
Could the design be improved by adding a teflon coating, Chaad?? How does it work on old/fragile corks?
I like the two-step levers as being a bit easier to use. Could that be added to the Code 38 design w/o compromising the quality?
Is there anything that your usage of Code 38 you think could be improved in its design? Or is it, truly, the perfect corkscrew?
Tom