TN: 2004 Cadence Bel Canto (USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Red Mountain)

• 2004 Cadence Bel Canto - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Red Mountain (3/27/2011)
    Pretty dang close to full maturity, perhaps a year or two at most, but it’s right there. Others commented on a little heat on the nose which I couldn’t detect (lucky me), but there was plenty of cinnamon and rose petal to go around, shades of tobacco and chocolate. High percentage of cab franc (50% cf – 40% merlot – 10% pv), and it shows as the palate delivers a green, almost stalky edge to the spicy and somewhat bitter cherry fruit, medium bodied and nice uplifting acidity. The oak has fully integrated, adding a touch of richness and volume, very versatile with food. It will be interesting to break into my stash of the 07’s, as that vintage being exclusively sourced from their estate ‘Cara Mia’ vineyard (planted in 2004), and would make an interesting comparison. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Don’t be in any rush… The 2001 is still drinking quite nicely. Difference vineyard sources, but having had the 06 it will last and evolve for years yet if you want it to.

Rick, I agree that Cadence wines do indeed seem to age quite well, almost deceptively so when you think about it, as they are rarely tannic bruisers in their youth. I’m sitting on a bottle or two of the 02 Ciel de Cheval to see what happens with a decade plus on it.

We had a 2002 Tapteil last year that tasted like it had at least five more years in front of it. Ben sure knows his way with Bordeaux blends.

Ben’s Tapteil is always pretty grippy. The 2004 Bel Canto was an unusually light and feminine wine for Ben. I tend to find all of his wines a little bruising (in a good way).

Did Cadence recently change their label style?

A few years ago I was able to buy a mixed case of the 01 and 03 Bel Canto for $20 a bottle and I’ve been slowly going through them. IMO the 01 still would benefit with a few more years of rest while the 03 is drinking well with a short decant. Good wines for Washington State.

In 2006 I think.

Steve: “for Washington State”? Ouch! :wink:

Labels changed with the 2006 reserve releases - both Camerata and Bel Canto are now from our Cara Mia Vineyard.

Tapteil and Ciel labels changed with the 2007 vintage to more closely resemble the reserves.

On more change in the offing with the Cara Mia '08 vintage. Then I’m done. Really.

Ben

Will we ever see the Cab Franc Rose again? That stuff was delicious…

Ben’s Tapteil is always pretty grippy.

Yep. Good description. I have some going back to 1999 and I’m in no rush to drink them down. Fell in love with those the first time I ever tasted one.

Just checked the alc levels on a few bottles and they hover around 14, some higher, some lower.

By comparison, a couple months ago I had a bottle of something else. A friend brought it, didn’t say what it was and asked us to guess. Super oaky and super ripe and far from grippy. Good for sure, but w/out the personality of those Cadence wines. I guessed it was probably Napa but I couldn’t really place it. It was the new QC. Stylistically very different, and to me anyhow, less interesting. I just checked a few of those too and they’re all over 15%. They do a good job with that - the wines aren’t hot. But I’m looking at the bottles and thinking I’m happier to have the Cadence.

Go Ben.

Sorry Ben but over the years I’ve really became disenchanted by Wa. State cabs. I’ve had great wines like Woodward Canyon from the late 80’s, early 90’s that could be mistaken for BDX and even a wine like the 94 Delille Harrison Hill is great but more modern wines don’t float my boat and I really can’t get into QC at all.

Just my .02 cents.

I hear ya.

Steve–not to be picky but bel canto is of course cab franc and merlot predominantly. I certainly get what you are saying about Washington cabs. The climate has been difficult, and frankly not very many winemakers have been able to play the changing landscape like Ben has, particularly in getting your grapes ripe without blowing alcohol levels off the charts. It’s interesting to speculate why we don’t see wines like some of those old woodies these days, even from Rick small himself.

I too would echo the trend about waning interest in WA Bordeaux blends, BUT those producers that do it well, are must purchases for me every year. Upon reflection, I really seem to have been enjoying the WA cab franc / merlot blends as of late, with the forementioned Bel Canto, the 07 Andrew Will Champoux, and the Cayuse Flying Pig having shown well in recent tastes.

I love Cadence wines and the 02 CdC is, perhaps, my all time favorite at this point.

I think the issue is that the Cadence isn’t merely good for a Washington wine but is a good wine, period. Comparisons of the Bel Canto especially to QC or other wines that are most or mostly Cab S. are problematic since the Bel Canto is and has been a Cab Franc dominant wine.

Styles in WA have certainly changed though, and I can see Saxon’s point overall. The Cadence stuff isn’t though, picked at high brix and soaked in oak.

Just had a bottle of this with lamb chops for easter dinner. While not really anywhere close to mature, the wine is most notable for being just beautifully balanced. Nothing is out of place, overextracted or overoaked, or overalcoholed. Really great wine in midlife. Great work, Ben (and Gaye).

•2004 Cadence Bel Canto - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Red Mountain (11/24/2013)
Decanted 2 hrs. This was my third and final bottle of a three pack, and confirms without a doubt, that Cadence wines need at least 5 years of sideways time to really shine. Clearly this wine is in a Prime Time drinking window, fantastic multifaceted nose of roses and violets, Indian spices and chocolate. My last TN from two years ago noted a stalky taste on the palate, probably (from the cab franc) – this bottle was all dark plums and spice, like the nose very floral, and great back bone of Red Mountain tannins that are perfectly integrated. Rich, but surprisingly light on its feet. Should hold for another 5 years, perhaps more, but absolutely no reason not to enjoy this gem today. (94 points)

That is interesting because I grabbed 3 of the 2007 Cadence Bel Canto Cara Mia Vineyard and 3 of the 2007 Cadence Camerata for $26 each. I had put them on my wine rack to “drink anytime” but just haven’t gotten around to drinking one. So it sounds like I should hold these for a few years yet? I have yet to have a Cadence, but I have thoroughly enjoyed some older Andrew Wills. I’ve also thoroughly enjoyed Spring Valley’s Uriah with 7-8 years on it. The complexity and balance coming out of some of these Washington reds is quite impressive.