Superbowl with Father Saxon, Ed, and Dan.

The crew at my place for the Superbowl:

My wife Carey
Father Saxon and Paula
Ed and Joan Murray
Dan Walker

The food:
Gruyere Gratin
Crabcakes cooked in duck fat
Snake River Farms “Kobe” Ribeyes
Paula’s Pear Tart

The Wines:
N.V. G. H. Mumm & Cie Champagne Mumm de Cramant Mag
1995 Domaine des Chezeaux Griottes-Chambertin
2002 Domaine des Chezeaux Griottes-Chambertin
1970 Mayacamas Cabernet Sauvignon Mag
1982 Château Calon-Ségur
1989 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron
1996 Cos d’Estournel
1988 Raymond-Lafon
2001 Etienne Sauzet Chassagne-Montrachet

Needless to say, the people, the food, and the wine rocked. The wines all showed very well minus the 1982 Calon which was a little tired. The Mayacamas and the 2002 Chezeaux were the stars for sure. By the way, what was left of the wines was even better the second day. The Pichon and the Cos really blossomed and were great with dinner last night.

Wow, I know this is a “wine thread”, but that dessert looks amazing! [notworthy.gif]

I want to party with you.
To hell with the game.
Best, Jim

Wow, great pix! Looks like a lot of fun.

The Superbowl didn’t end the way I wanted. It looks like yours sure did.
Cheers, Jack

What Jim said. [drinks.gif]

Yeah, the wine looks like a nice lineup for sure, but those steaks (to me) look AWESOME!

The Sauternes is so deep in color it almost looks like a rose

What Ed said.

As good as the wines were, and they were all really good, Phil’s Steaks and my wife’s Pear Tart was even better. Every wine except the 82 lived up to it’s billing and the 70 Mayacamas was just wonderful. To bad Pittsburgh won…

Anybody there get specific tasting notes that they can share?

That pear tart is beautiful!

Yea Todd:

Snake River Farms “Kobe” Ribeyes.

I’m not totally sure of the seasoning but I think he put’s on Olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder. The steak’s were well marbled and were cooked rare to medium rare. Wonderful flavor, they can almost rival a Flannery. 96 points.

Crabcakes cooked in duck fat:

These were bought locally and were pan fried in duck fat. They were not as good as the blue crab cakes we had a couple years ago but I found myself going back for 2nds, 3rds, and 4ths. All in all very good. 93 points

Paula’s Pear Tart:

Now I maybe Bias but I don’t think so, but this was one of those OMFG moments. Everyone went nuts and the tart was perfect with the 88 Raymond-Lafon. 97 points.

Cute, Steve…real cute

[blush2.gif]

I really don’t want to post on every wine but let me say this…

70 Mayacamas beat my expectations and was 95+ points

1995 Domaine des Chezeaux Griottes-Chambertin: Killer nose but lacked a great palate and finish. 92+ points

2002 Domaine des Chezeaux Griottes-Chambertin: The complete package. 95 points

1982 Château Calon-Ségur: Tired…88 points

1989 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron: should have decanted, needed more time…Phil said it was better 2nd day. 93+ points.

1996 Cos d’Estournel: Another one that benefited with more air.just kept getting better and better. 94 points

1988 Raymond-Lafon: The tart made this wine better…93+ points

2001 Etienne Sauzet Chassagne-Montrachet: Killer bottle, just beautiful. 94+ points