Best of the Russian River Barrel Tasting

I got out all three days this weekend and tasted from something like 25 different wineries. Some are very small and share facilities with others.

My top wines (these are all finished, bottled wines):

2008 Papapietro Perry Russian River Leras Family Pinot Noir
2008 Dutton-Goldfield Cherry Ridge Syrah
2008 Red Car Calif The Fight Syrah
2007 Krutz Napa Valley Stagecoach Cabernet
2005 Kachina Dry Creek Zinfandel Port

From the barrels? I dunno. I’m still trying to get Carol Shelton’s Petite Sirah off my teeth! lol

(more details in wine blog below)

My first and last RRV barrel tasting. Hordes of drunks pouring from gigantic buses and limos clogging every parking lot in sight. Valdez was the only tolerable experience because I got there sharp at opening time. After a couple more stops I learned my lesson and starting going to some non-participating wineries for peace and quiet (Arista, most notably, then Audelssa on the way back, both outstanding, especially Audelssa.)

I’ve learned to never go into Dry Creek Vly or downtown Healdsburg on Saturday. We spent that day in Santa Rosa and to the west. Today I could see the traffic heading up US101 was heavy for a Sunday morning, but they all got off at the Healdsburg exit.

A couple years ago I was working in downtown Healdsburg during the barrel tasting. On Saturday I finally stepped outside for some fresh air and a little less noise. Looking out on the sidewalks it seemed like Mardi Gras with groups of folks wandering up-and-down the streets with wine glasses in their hands making lots of noise. Only diff was the women still had their shirts on. LOL

I’ve found it less crowded with buses the further north you go. Last year, I started in Geyserville and also went along Hwy 128 and it was much more relaxed than downtown Healdsburg & Dry Creek Valley.

Stay away form certain areas and wineries to avoid the drunks.

I was out again with some friends this Saturday (12th) and heard from several people behind the tasting bar that there was a very high proportion of party-ers out that day. That said, we stayed away from DCV and Downtown Healdsburg and we didn’t see many train wrecks. It’s definitely slower the farther South West you go.

We stopped by Mr. Holdredge’s place for the first time and said hello. The wines out of barrel were nice, and he had some great wines open behind the bar for those who asked nicely. We finished the day at Joseph Swan on a high note. Those wines never cease to amaze me - especially with the very modest tariff. Most futures for Zin/Syarh were $20/bottle. And we picked-up a case of the 2004 Lone Redwood Zin they had on clearance at $10/bottle!

Bob,

I’m a huge fan of the D-G Cherry Ridge Syrah. The 08 wasn’t in the bottle last time I was there so no taste. Do you have any points of comparison with previous vintages?

Nothing to compare against. I haven’t had a Syrah from them for several years.
My bad. I won’t let that happen again!

One other thought. Sampled several 2010s from barrels and though young and grapey they seemed otherwise fine at this early stage. It occurred to me later with '10 being such a crap year weatherwise there could be some bad wines, but I didn’t run across any.