Thought Everyone Uses A Champagne Stopper For Leftovers!

Thursday night as we were wrapping up a diner at Brad Ballinger’s home I was surprised to ses Brad dumping partial btls of Champagne down the drain. I said “Brad don’t you have some of those little stoppers?” Nope, and I was surprised as Brad is a Champagne afficiando. So this is not to rip Brad but more just public service post to let everyone know you can drink your leftover Champagne for days if you invest $2.50 in one those little stoppers you can get at winemaking and bewery shops.

http://www.wineenthusiast.com/lever-bottle-stoppers-(set-of-6).asp

I’ve had surprising success using my Vac-u-vin on sparkling wine bottles. Have maintained respectable levels of bubbles for up to 4 days.

What is this “leftover” Champagne you speak of? Don’t think we’ve ever had one in this house.

I assume you mean the vacu-vin Champagne saver as opposed to the pump?

-Al

Also works for bottles of Belgian ale [cheers.gif]

Seems to work best if you have a fair amount left in the bottle. If you’re done towards the bottom of the bottle is doesn’t last so well.

Actually no, I’ve been using the pump. With just enough pumps to start to feel the first resistance, I’ve opened and resealed a few different sparkling daily for 3 to 4 days with really good success.

I find Champagne tasty even after all the bubbles are gone – of course, that usually happens in the glass over time. I don’t seem to recall ever having any bubbly leftovers - that’s a very foreign idea to me.

I do the same thing - I drink alot of Prosecco at home and am always nursing a bottle over a couple day period -

Again, no need for fancy devices. A piece of plastic wrap, covering the top and wrapped around to make a knot is all you need. It works perfectly.

Doesn’t anyone else just use a cork from a bottle of still white wine? [thin] Riesling corks are very good.

This is what I would do if I ever found myself in this situation.

Actually no, I’ve been using the pump. With just enough pumps to start to feel the first resistance, I’ve opened and resealed a few different sparkling daily for 3 to 4 days with really good success.

Okay. I generally have an open bottle of Champagne in the fridge, often have a glass when I get home. I use a clamp type stopper like the one Craig mentioned above. Pumping might help with oxidation, but I haven’t found that to be an issue. It somewhat accelerates the loss of bubbles, but not too much until the bottle is low.

-Al