Your favourite 82 Bordeaux?

Have been fortunate in the last few years,at offlines etc etc of drinking many 82 Bordeaux,and to me it is still one of the top four vintages in the last 50 years,although obviously the prices generally reflect this.
Outside the First Growths,my favourite wines are Poyferre,Gruaud Larose and Evangile with Meyney being the best QPR wine.
Not had many of the real Trophy wines but of these I love the Graves threesome of HB,LMHB and LTHB

What are your favourites ?

Keith

I can highly recommend that you also try Lynch Bages, Ducru Beaucaillou (they did an ex-chateau release a year ago, try and get your hands on some of that), Palmer (although, yes the 83 is a step above), Le Gay and Pichon Lalande (although the price is very high on this given the score).

Other ‘QPR’s’ (given the vintage, it is relative) to seek out in 82 are Montrose and Beychevelle.

Cheers
Gautam

Thanks Gautam, Spent most of my working life in HK,so envy you living there now in present wine climate!! Presume you have met Linden Wilkie!!
Am visiting near the end of the year,as we are seeking a good importer for our wine,and perhaps we can meet up for an offline?

+1 on the 82 Haut Brion and Lynch Bages. I’ll toss in Cheval Blanc and Latour also. Sure wish they were affordable to me.

David [drinkers.gif]

Keith; A wonderful wine and very fairly priced is Grand Puy Lacoste.

Cheers!
Marshall

I had quite a disappointing '82 Meyney recently, but it came from Winebid and could easily have been just a bad bottle or bad storage.

I know that from TNs there is apparently some bottle variation, but I have always been very lucky with the '82 Pichon Lalande, which is my favorite wine that I have had repeatedly from the vintage. Another very nice one is the Calon Segur, and that can probably be acquired relatively reasonably. I like the Gruaud Larose as well, although I haven’t had a bottle yet that could compete with the PL, and I actually think Gruaud did a better job in '86.

Any thoughts on the Mouton ? I’ll take a look at CT but I have an oppty to buy the following wines from a divorce sale. COndition is supposed to be very good on the wines. I’ll see for myself shortly

1982 Charmes Chambertin Domaine Maume
1971 Chateau Margaux Premier
1984 Chateau Lynch Bages Gr
1982 Chateau Mouton
1981 Chateau Gis Cours

1982 mouton is superb. giscours was the last great vintage there until 2000. The rest are more iffy. 1971 Margaux is rough, Lynch 1984 is from a poor vintage, and even Lynch could not do much with it. The 1982 Maumes I know nothing about.

I haven’t had them all but I’ve had a bunch. My favorites in order are:

• La Mission
  • Leoville-Poyferre
  • Pichon-Lalande
  • Haut Brion
    Wines that have not impressed me as much as they have other tasters:
  • Margaux
  • Lynch Bages
  • Mouton
  • Leoville-las-cases
  • Ducru-Beaucaillou
    Excellent but not in the top five or so (I still enjoyed them alot):
  • Latour (perhaps it needs time as do a ALL Latours)
  • L’Evangile
  • Cos d’Estournel
  • La Conseillante
  • Canon (probably a bit too old now)
    Wines I’ve never had:
  • Petrus
  • Ausone
    Still not sure:
  • Cheval Blanc
  • Lafite

[quote=“keith prothero”]Have been fortunate in the last few years,at offlines etc etc of drinking many 82 Bordeaux,and to me it is still one of the top four vintages in the last 50 years,although obviously the prices generally reflect this.
Outside the First Growths,my favourite wines are Poyferre,Gruaud Larose and Evangile with Meyney being the best QPR wine.
Not had many of the real Trophy wines but of these I love the Graves threesome of HB,LMHB and LTHB

I would add a couple to your non-FGs. Lynch, GPL, Figeac, Canon, Magdelaine, Conseillante.

Poujeaux as QPR.

My favorite 82 and one of my all time favorite wines was the 82 Margaux. It was stunning!

A few weeks ago , my friend surprised me with a 375ml of 82 Mouton at a dinner out.

If they could put the words PERFECTION next to a wine, it would be the 82 Mouton. It was so youthful. This wine will outlive all of us. It was a stunner and one of the most perfect wines I ever consumed. My problem is that I am not sure what a perfect wine “should” taste like. None have given me an orgasm…but damn close. For me, it was a sublime experience and if there is such a thing as a perfect wine, I would award the honors to the 82 Mouton.

If I were forced to choose only one it would have to be Mouton.

Trotanoy
Drank twice last year. Killer.

Thanks Mark. Kind of what I thought based on the quick research I did.

[quote="Mark Golodetz
1982 mouton is superb. giscours was the last great vintage there until 2000. The rest are more iffy. 1971 Margaux is rough, Lynch 1984 is from a poor vintage, and even Lynch could not do much with it. The 1982 Maumes I know nothing about.[/quote]

Drink now = Pichon Lalande by a whisker over LaMission

Drink later = Mouton

Echoing Mark re: the Margaux, that was near the end of the Ginestet era, and he’s being kind…the wine was pretty bad when tasted about 8-10 years ago, and it had nowhere to go but downhill from there. Pass.

I’ve not had the 82 Maume, but many wines from that vintage from better producers were surprisingly good for years since the vintage wasn’t stellar; Maume makes wine for the long haul, so if it came from good storage, it might surprise pleasantly on the upside.

Lafleur.

I know, its obvious and now rare and expensive, but it was only $280 per case when I bought it on release. Deserving of its reputation and a great drinking wine since release with no signs of slowing down. I’ve been fortunate to own or taste pretty much every '82 multiple times and Lafleur is my favorite; its not even close.

I’ve been fortunate to buy 1982 Bordeaux at futures prices, and there are many great wines, and the names are mostly mentioned above in this thread. Haut Brion is my personal fav, Latour is right there, Cheval Blanc also. Pichon Lalande and Grand Puy Lacoste are outtasight as well. When I sold all my Bordeaux a few years ago, letting loose of the 1982’s was difficult (so I kept all of the Haut Brion, which is my favorite Bordeaux property).

My personal favorites are Leoville-Poyferre, Figeac, and Les Forts de Latour (at what I paid for it, one of the greatest QPRs ever).