TN: 2005 Tenuta delle Terre Nere Etna Guardiola

I stumbled on this producer about 1.5-2 years ago and this is the 4th bottle I’ve opened of various bottlings. Other than one odd very hard very unenjoyable bottle they have been excellent wines that represent real character, depth and complexity. The wines, to me, speak of their place… high altitude, crazy climate, volcanic soils translated through old vines. They have a poise and lift that reminds more of nothing else from Sicily or S. Italy. While I see the comparisons that are drawn to Pinot, I could just as soon compare this wine to old school Barolo or old school garrigue laden, lifted grenache. A really interesting DOC that warrants a lot more exploration. So far I am a fan.

• 2005 Tenuta delle Terre Nere Etna Guardiola - Italy, Sicily, Etna DOC (5/19/2009)
    Not decanted, this took a solid 4+ hours to really unwind and start to show well. On the nose his has pure fresh red and black fruits, dust, lots of crushed rock and rainwater, some roasted herbs, and plenty of tension. I agree with other notes mentioning hints of lavender and anise. I don’t notice heat though this is a big wine under the graceful nose. Strong iron minerality continues on the palate. A slight vitamin component in there. There is an acidic clench in there and the finish clamps a bit. A bit rustic in a charming way, lots of character and definite upside in a couple of years as it unwinds a little.

Posted from CellarTracker