TN: 1999 Maison Leroy Bourgogne, 2004 Louis Michel MdT Chabl

Couple Burg beauties tonight hitting the SPOT…

• 1999 Maison Leroy Bourgogne - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne (2/16/2011)
    WOW, what a difference a different bottle makes! Last bottle 85pts, not much tastiness to it…this bottle is tasty! Great orange/cranberry acidity to freshen up the dusty and rustic cherry/plum/raspberry fruit…dried florals galore, cinnamon stick, mushroom, earth spice, some leather and black pepper, dried citrus tartness. Has a delicateness to it, with great acidity. And most important…tasty!! (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

• 2004 Domaine Louis Michel Chablis 1er Cru Montée de Tonnerre - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (2/16/2011)
    Brilliant yellow, and lots of green in color. Fresh lemon/sea air mist, lime blossom, fresh pealed apple nose. Starts out pretty tight, but with a little air and warmth to room temp, you get a nice crispy Chablis! No oak used, yet the wine is creamy, with wonderful lemon/lime citrus acidity, and crushed stones galor. Green apple fruit, some yeast, salty minerals, not as much spice as with other younger vintages. Less flavor in this vintage, compared to the '07-'08…and a little more soap water as well. But still super tasty, and totally in my wheelhouse for style. No signs of age, except maybe the smoothness. Glad to have a few more to try later on. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Brian, thanks for the note. As I have one bottle of the Leroy, I’m curious if you decanted this or popped n’ poured?

PnP…good right out of the gate, but a little air did bring out even more of the goodness. I would say ideally, a 30min decant.

I hope your bottle is as good as that last one…because the first one I had, was really not that great. I did notice my first bottle had a lot of mold and funk on the top of the cork, and soaked all the way up…this bottle was soaked half way, and no mold. They both had a “Leroy” stamped cork.

Nice notes Buzz.
I also popped a 1999 Leroy Bourgogne last weekend.
Drank like your ‘good’ bottle. Pretty enough.
Cork was pretty moldy and half soaked, but wine was fine for what it is.

I’ve got one bottle of the 99 Leroy left also. Every one I’ve had to date has had a moldy cork, but the wine has always been delicious. I know there are bigger Burg-heads here than me, and I would defer to their expertise, but it seems that more often than not, Leroy’s wines have mold on the tops of the corks.

Thanks Brian. My first bottle mirrored your first. I hope my second does as well

I bought a case of this, have drunk 6 bottle…another Leroy recent re release…

Every cork is shot through as usual, with dark mold on top.

The variation in the wine is something to behold. Everything from thin and acidic to structured and tight, open and rich and combinations of all these…I have never seen so much variation in one wine, it is like it is actually several different wines under the one label…and BTW, strangely, all the low fill bottles have been much better than the ones that are high…

This was exactly the same for a re release case of '02 Mersault Perrieres I bought a year or so ago. 1 wine in 3 was staggering, the other two were totally different, and much lesser wines…

What’s the old saying: “There are no great wines, only great bottles of wine.”