What wine with Cioppino?

We had a friend deliver us some local live crab today and we decided we’de make Cioppino. What wine(s) go well with this?
TIA [cheers.gif]

04 La Tache, of course.

Seriously, any acidic whites would should work well, and probably Chianti and other high acid Italian reds as well.

Hmm, some non-expert guesses:

Whites:

1. Austrian riesling
  2. German riesling
  3. Pinot Grigio
  4. Sancerre

Reds:

1. Xinomavro
  2. Barbera d’Alba

Cheers,
Doug

I like Doug’s Barbera option. I’d also say Dolcetto. Maybe Gamay as well.

06 kimberly’s, obviously.

Vermentino is probably best for white. I probably wouldn’t drink red.

In memory of the poor Portuguese and Italian fishermen in SFO who invented this dish, anything that can be drunk out of a jelly jar. [snort.gif]

Why not John? It’s tomato & saffron based? Not that I’m a stickler for red with this, white with that type of rules; just honestly curious.

No saffron. That would be cioppino’s cousin, bouillabaisse.

Its not a rule. I just think most reds would overwhelm the flavors of the dish. Personally its not a dish I really enjoy so I don’t eat it that often.

dry german riesling or chablis

Starting with a 09 Chateau Suau Bordeaux Blanc. So far so good.

I’ve had it recently with PAX Cuvee Keltie 05 and just this past Christmas eve with a Bedrock Old Lakeville and a Turley Zin. My Cioppino is spicy so Syrahs and Zins go good with it. One of your Syrahs would be great. People who don’t like it haven’t had it done right.

Enjoy!

Something very high in alcohol so I won’t notice what I’m eating. Unfortunately, I’m unable to enjoy Cioppino. If its spicy food I like an off dry Riesling or Pinot Blanc, both with good acidity.

Needs lots of acid for the tomato. I’d do a crisp Prosecco. A very acidic red could work as well.

you should try a recent Hirsch Bohan Dillon vineyard Pinot Noir

Unrelated…

Had a bottle of this with a big chunk of USDA Prime top sirloin, baked tater and baby bella mushrooms tonight. Crushed it.

[thumbs-up.gif] Like!

Any connection, Bob?

It works so well with mesquite grilled critter. Bottle didn’t last very long.