TN's: DP, DP and Cantemerle at Ciano

Went to Ciano on Super Bowl Monday which is the fourth time Ive been there since they have opened. Each meal has been better than the previous one and it has now cemented itself in my regular restaurant rotation. The one drawback there is the fireplace is a little smoky and can slightly affect the wine aromas, but the bread that is served sitting on the hearth is a very nice touch.

'69 Dom Perignon - not sure when this was disgorged/ released but it is not original since there is a foil capsule and it is before the started noting RD on the label. My guess based on its development is mid '80’s disgorgement. Still somewhat lively effervescence with a light gold color. White chocolate and coffee with a touch of smoke (not from the fireplace) rise from the glass. Abundant fruit on the palate with good structure on the finish. Not served blind, but I would like to believe I would have guessed it as DP do to its classic profile. Great stuff. Staggering

'75 Dom Perignon Oenotheque - disgorged 2007 - this is now strikingly similar to the 2005 disgorgement. Touches of mint on the nose and some confectioner’s sugar as well. There is no sign of sweetness on the palate other than the sweet fruit. Tons of juicy yellow fruit. Very creamy on the palate. Firm finish. Will be fun to drink this wine and the '05 disgorgement as they both age. Staggering plus

'16 Chateau Cantemerle- purchased at Zachys first Graham Lyons sale. Always a solid performer this was clearly the golden era for this property. Classic old Bordeaux flavors , library books, and cigar are in the forefront. But there is still enough red fruit to make this better than interesting, it is a great glass of wine. Obviously fully mature, but it is not over the hill one bit. Very soft and feminine. Staggering minus

I had sent some wine over to a friend’s table and he sent over a couple of glasses of '99 Hudelot Noellat RSV. Spicy dark fruit. Quite a contrast to the old Bordeaux but it seemed to work perfectly. I dont drink a lot of wine from this producer, so this was surprisingly good. I love the vintage for red burgs. Excellent plus

Earlier in the day i tried to step up the luncheon Champages

'69 Veuve Clicquot Rose - from the same parcel I have had several excellent bottles in the recent past. This was dominated by bell pepper and was just weird. Next day even worse. Dumped. Poor

'66 Bollinger - great mature notes of caramel and nuts. Unfortunately, a little flat on the palate. Very little effervescence left. Enjoyable, but not the monumental Champagne it can be. Good

Good to hear about he Cantemerle…I know you took some shit for buying these…

I had the 49 about 13 months ago that was truly a great bottle of wine.

Another thought…with the 07 and the 05 disgorgements starting to taste similar…have you found this to happen with other DP Oenotheque wines?

Ray, I definitely out did you with my bottle of Bollinger Special Cuvee [cheers.gif]

Keep the notes coming!