ROAR offering

Did anybody else get an allocation e-mail from ROAR today? I haven’t had the wines before, just signed up on their list based on seeing/reading things. Does anybody have any thoughts?

Very fond of their Garys’ PN.

Where would you put the ROAR Garys’ PN on the scale of Rhys-KB that has been discussed around here lately?

I would buy ROAR Garys’ before I’d pay the extra tariff for the same KB bottle. I do like The KB Garys’, 05 was very good when enjoyed in 2010.

I have never tasted a Rhys wine though I own 1-2 cases.

Is the Chardonnay a new offering? Has anyone tried it?

I have never tasted KB, but I have had plenty of Roar and Rhys over the last few years. From the wines I’ve tried, Roar has a bigger, more fruit-forward profile than Rhys. The Rhys style is more up my alley, but the Roar wines are well made and fairly priced, so if you like the style it might be worth a buy.

Yeah I am a little intrigued by this as well, although I was offerred three of them, might have to pull the trigger.

I consult with Gary, Rose, and Ed on the Pinots and Syrahs so won’t comment on those wines. But I am not involved in the Chardonnays (other than getting to taste them early). I tried the Sierra Mar Chardonnay shortly after bottling and thought it was incredible! Honestly, one of the more profound Chards I’ve had from CA in awhile, with plenty of richness but a crisp minerality that kept it in balance. So, I am a fan.

Adam Lee
Siduri Wines and Novy Family Winery

Thanks for the input Adam. Ordered my 3 and will be excited to give one a try!

I find it a bit fascinating how much buzz and such is created when Rivers Marie or Rhys have offerings, but virtually nothing about KB or ROAR. I wonder if its because of the style of the wines, maybe price or QPR?

I’m not on the ROAR mailing list, so in case you want some now, I saw & bought some at K&L (Garys & SLH).

http://www.klwines.com/